Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Kepub erratic numbering

I just took a very short video, hopefully I can upload it here, showing the whole book pages change from 156 of 310 to 159 of 310 on one page turn.

Nope, can’t upload it, invalid. Oh well, boring old photos will have to do instead.

I know ePub has accurate numbers matched to the paper book, I don’t really care, I just thought such a noticeable jump was kind of funny.

P.S. Reading in the sun and my Libra is still nice and cool, unlike my Oasis, which would fry in the sun then automatically switch off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0B8E7A8B-4598-488E-A76B-619B1594FCAB.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	798.0 KB
ID:	186996   Click image for larger version

Name:	07A85EAB-2EBC-4FFD-8446-76F6AD33F550.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	916.6 KB
ID:	186997  
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I know ePub has accurate numbers matched to the paper book, I don’t really care, I just thought such a noticeable jump was kind of funny.
Epub may have consistent page numbers but matched to the paper book? Only if someone has bothered to include a Pagelist or Pagemap in the epub. And that is only to one specific edition of the paper book.

And I'm going to stop here before the page number wars get restarted.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #3
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Epub may have consistent page numbers but matched to the paper book? Only if someone has bothered to include a Pagelist or Pagemap in the epub. And that is only to one specific edition of the paper book.

And I'm going to stop here before the page number wars get restarted.
Yeah, I knew I shouldn’t have mentioned that.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Pjama
Guru

Update - just moved on to the next chapter, and it also skipped three pages! I’m going to see if it does this for all my Kepubs. I don’t recall noticing it before though. I purchased it on my kobo, so no conversion at any stage.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Update - just moved on to the next chapter, and it also skipped three pages! I’m going to see if it does this for all my Kepubs. I don’t recall noticing it before though. I purchased it on my kobo, so no conversion at any stage.
KePub used to be similar to ePub pages just using a different number for the words per page. KePub was changed to be one screen equals one page. But a bug has changed how KePub pages work. I don't know of anyone on MR who knows how KePub pages work.

You have two options.

1. Ignore that KePub pages are wonky
2. Switch to ePub
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:06 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The full book page numbering for kepubs is supposed to be one page per screen. And it changes with the font settings. But, there are a couple of bugs. The main one I notice is that the last page in a chapter doesn't always increment. The other one seen is that in longer chapters, the page numbering doesn't always increment for each turn. This happens about one in eight pages. This seems to get worse with more complex page coding or with images.

I haven't noticed what you are reporting with kepubs. For epubs, skipping a page at the end of a chapter does happen. And if you page backward, the page does show. It has something to do with exactly where on the screen the page break would happen. For kepubs, some of the page calculation is done when the book is added to the device, some is done the first time it is opened and the rest as the book is read. I have an idea that the problem is something to do with the relative size of the internal files in the book. There is also an issue with what is in the ToC. In the past, when there was not a one-to-one relationship between the ToC and the internal files, there were some interesting problems. Most have been fixed, but, I think there are still some problems.

Unfortunately, without seeing the book, it is hard to work out what is actually happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The full book page numbering for kepubs is supposed to be one page per screen. And it changes with the font settings. But, there are a couple of bugs. The main one I notice is that the last page in a chapter doesn't always increment. The other one seen is that in longer chapters, the page numbering doesn't always increment for each turn. This happens about one in eight pages. This seems to get worse with more complex page coding or with images.

I haven't noticed what you are reporting with kepubs. For epubs, skipping a page at the end of a chapter does happen. And if you page backward, the page does show. It has something to do with exactly where on the screen the page break would happen. For kepubs, some of the page calculation is done when the book is added to the device, some is done the first time it is opened and the rest as the book is read. I have an idea that the problem is something to do with the relative size of the internal files in the book. There is also an issue with what is in the ToC. In the past, when there was not a one-to-one relationship between the ToC and the internal files, there were some interesting problems. Most have been fixed, but, I think there are still some problems.

Unfortunately, without seeing the book, it is hard to work out what is actually happening.
In the kepub I was reading, it was skipping three pages every chapter change and when I would key back a page the pages were still missing, so a little different to the ePub issue you described. The book was purchased from kobo, A Pocketful of Rye by Agatha Christie.

The current kepub I’m reading is doing the same thing, except with only two pages skipped per chapter. It is a side loaded omnibus I converted from the kindle format.

I could describe the behavior as ‘consistently erratic’. The only thing that slightly annoys me is obviously the page discrepancy becomes gigantic when reading the omnibus editions.

I need to have the zoomable images and stats though, I need my stats. I live in hope maybe one day kobo will fix their kepubs.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #8
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
KePub used to be similar to ePub pages just using a different number for the words per page. KePub was changed to be one screen equals one page. But a bug has changed how KePub pages work. I don't know of anyone on MR who knows how KePub pages work.

You have two options.

1. Ignore that KePub pages are wonky
2. Switch to ePub
Oh, I didn’t know it was a bug, that makes me more optimistic then, as kobo may try to fix it. I’m fine ignoring the pages for the most part - at least the chapter ones are accurate (as I’m defining it for my needs). My post above explains why I’m sticking with the kepubs.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #9
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The whole book page numbers are, be necessity, an estimate. (Otherwise, the entire book would have be rendered to re-calculate them every time the users adjusts any of the page layout options.) Most books are, internally, formatted such as 1 internal file in the epub makes up 1 chapter, so chapter breaks are where the Kobo's page count estimate is more likely to meet reality.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote