Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 12-23-2014, 03:39 AM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Missing Features
  • Compass
  • Front Cam
  • LED Flash
  • NFC
Phones have compasses?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:53 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Phones have compasses?
Yes; the majority of smartphones do.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2014, 04:33 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes; the majority of smartphones do.
I have own 3 smartphones and they didn't have compass or FM Radio so this all surprising to me.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:09 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have own 3 smartphones and they didn't have compass or FM Radio so this all surprising to me.
This will be the first smartphone I've purchased that didn't have a compass.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #20
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Haven't found a decent dash cam

The dash cams I've read about all have weaknesses, like one article touting their favorite, which has the major weakness of not being able to move the video off the phone. Or another where it costs $2 per month.

DailyRoads Voyager on Android is still the best.

Some built-in apps I use:
- OneNote (built-in or did I install it?) - syncs perfectly and immediately across platforms.
- Nokia Mix Radio - the free version seems comparable to the other free ones like Pandora.
- Podcasts - if you've used a Zune, it's the same interface. Bugs include forgetting (usually once per podcast) that it has played a podcast, and slow automatic removing of played podcasts. Due to the phone's 512 MB of RAM, subscribe to video podcasts at the lowest offered quality. Even then, long video podcasts of about an hour or more will experience stuttering towards the end.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #21
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Here are some links:
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #22
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
So I guess buying the maximum size SD card for it will be priority one. 64 gb right? Anyone recommend a quality inexpensive one?
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #23
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Chances are they did have a compass, just not an app that exposes it as such. All the Android phones I've had have had a compass. The earliest ones required manual calibration where you flip the phone over and over on each axis. I think that was Froyo and Gingerbread did away with that.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Chances are they did have a compass, just not an app that exposes it as such. All the Android phones I've had have had a compass. The earliest ones required manual calibration where you flip the phone over and over on each axis. I think that was Froyo and Gingerbread did away with that.
I'm looking at it right now where would I find this compass? It's a LG Optimus Dynamic and LG Vortex.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #25
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I don't know where mine is at the moment, but I used to use Freda for ebooks.

Pocket File Manager (files), Just Shopping (shopping lists), Note+ (notes), Tasks (planner), WPCentral has a forum where people note the daily freebies.

Nokia Mix is being sold off, so that will be no more soon.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
So I guess buying the maximum size SD card for it will be priority one. 64 gb right? Anyone recommend a quality inexpensive one?
I picked up two of these over BF/CM when prices were at their lowest ($23~$24):
Old 12-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I'm looking at it right now where would I find this compass? It's a LG Optimus Dynamic and LG Vortex.
Check the phones specs. The compass is a sensor and is usually listed with other sensor like: proximity, ambient light, accelerometer, gyroscope, etc.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #28
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Nokia Mix is being sold off, so that will be no more soon.
Spun off, but there's no sign Mix Radio will be no more. This story says:

"MixRadio will continue to be preloaded on smartphones running Microsoft's Windows Phone software, but it will also have the freedom to explore other platforms like Apple's iOS and Google's Android."
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #29
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Quote:
Check the phones specs. The compass is a sensor and is usually listed with other sensor like: proximity, ambient light, accelerometer, gyroscope, etc.
As monkey mentions, the compass sensor is built into the device, but you have to download an app to get an actual compass on screen. The GPS apps will probably use it. For Android, I loaded GPS Status which gives raw GPS coordinates and exposes a number of other sensors so you can use the phone as a compass, a bubble level, etc.

Last edited by hwlester; 12-23-2014 at 03:10 PM.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #30
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Mine are here! My son and I got one each to use as a media player.
Off to play!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote