Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 04:26 AM   #16
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Basic 11
I had an Aura One. No sleep-cover, no wifi, never powered down but the battery was not great. Reading every day for 30 minutes I had to recharge every 7-9 days.
I have now a Forma. It's battery is much better. Have to recharge every 19-22 days.
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #17
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
It seems to me that both these problems started soon after updating to firmware 4.19.14123. Could this be the issue? What is your firmware version?
Same, 4.19.14123
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #18
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssee View Post
I had an Aura One. No sleep-cover, no wifi, never powered down but the battery was not great. Reading every day for 30 minutes I had to recharge every 7-9 days.
I have now a Forma. It's battery is much better. Have to recharge every 19-22 days.
How's the weight? I saw one in shop but with the big antitheft thing, it's difficult to evaluate the weight. It's been 3½ years I have my One, so maybe I'm ready for a new one. I would like a bigger screen though, it would be fun to be able to read PDFs without zooming, I could stop purchasing physical RPG books.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:24 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
How's the weight? I saw one in shop but with the big antitheft thing, it's difficult to evaluate the weight. It's been 3½ years I have my One, so maybe I'm ready for a new one. I would like a bigger screen though, it would be fun to be able to read PDFs without zooming, I could stop purchasing physical RPG books.
The Aura One without case weighs 250g while the Forma without case weighs 197g. Not that significant when you first hold the device but after reading a while, it gets noticeable.

Not sure how much difference tha extra 0.2" (7.8" to 8.0") would make to reading PDF books. My laptop or iPad Pro are still preferable for that purpose.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #20
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure how much difference tha extra 0.2" (7.8" to 8.0") would make to reading PDF books. My laptop or iPad Pro are still preferable for that purpose.
Oh I thought the difference was more than that. Maybe I should look for those 10" readers then but it's a bit too expensive to my taste.
Advert
Old 01-11-2020, 12:01 AM   #21
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
It's worth also bearing in mind that a case, which many people would consider more or less essential for a glass-substrate device, is less so for the flexible-substrate Forma. Cases can add a fair bit of heft.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:47 PM   #22
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It's worth also bearing in mind that a case, which many people would consider more or less essential for a glass-substrate device, is less so for the flexible-substrate Forma. Cases can add a fair bit of heft.
I won't purchase any official case anymore anyway, lesson learned.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #23
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
My KA1 is starting to need charging more frequently. I started noticing this a couple of months ago. I got mine when they came out.

Not in a rush to replace it, mind you. I love reading on it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #24
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
My KA1 is starting to need charging more frequently. I started noticing this a couple of months ago. I got mine when they came out.

Not in a rush to replace it, mind you. I love reading on it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm wondering the same, I could wait to the next revision, generally in September. I would like a bigger screen but not sure there's an enough big market for that.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #25
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have one. nev er use it. the upgrades are worth it
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #26
Mercador
I'm not a number!

I think I found the culprit. When I remove auto brightness and auto color, I got only a 10% loss after one week usage (that seems more the norm). I guess there's an issue with those since the last patch or two. Do you know if they got a bug tracker? I could raise a ticket for that though I don't mind having those features inactive.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #27
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I've gone through three KA1s. One had lighting issues, so I returned it. The replacement lasted years until two weeks ago. The other was my daughter's and either she damaged the USB port, or it was defective as others have reported here. Once out of warranty, it failed to take a charge.

I loved my KA1. Loved it to death. I kept good care of it (no scratches or dings), and the battery was great, but then the face started peeling up in September. All four sides. I have kindles that are far older and that have held up better with similar use. It's likely my case was too snug because the kobo unit became curved.

KA1s aren't easy to take apart. My older KA1's face pried off with slight effort when I inspected the USB port, but the newer one that had the peeling problem was bonded solidly to the frame. It seemed to be glued tight everywhere except the peeling edges. I couldn't pry it apart for love nor money. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote