Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
eloi
eloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo clara hd
Red face Any use for a broken Kobo?

I have a Kobo Clara lying around with its screen broken (vertical lines covering 1/3 of the surface). Otherwise it works fine. Can I sell it for parts? Give it away for parts? Should I just throw it away? thank y'all for your time
eloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
I have a Kobo Clara lying around with its screen broken (vertical lines covering 1/3 of the surface). Otherwise it works fine. Can I sell it for parts? Give it away for parts? Should I just throw it away? thank y'all for your time
If you were to sell it for parts, you'd also be selling the SD card which is registered to your account.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2020, 12:31 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
Since you appear able to access the device, just make sure that you trigger a factory reset before selling/giving it away for parts. Depending on your firmware, you may need to do a search for devmodeon and then in settings => Device information => Developer options to trigger the old complete factory reset.

@JSWolf: Jon, does that take care of your paranoia?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:11 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Worth bearing in mind though that likely the most useful part in a Clara would be the display, which is broken. The odds of it being useful for anything but e-waste recycling (please don't trash it) is relatively low. But you never know.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:45 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
folks on ebay will buy pretty much anything for parts.
search ebay for sold or for completed sales for clara, listed as " for parts" to check.
use advanced search filters
i have sold honestly listed tablets with broken screens that way
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
folks on ebay will buy pretty much anything for parts.
search ebay for sold or for completed sales for clara, listed as " for parts" to check.
use advanced search filters
i have sold honestly listed tablets with broken screens that way
Probably further down the line folks will be looking for a replacement battery and/or motherboard.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Probably further down the line folks will be looking for a replacement battery and/or motherboard.
And maybe even a replacement SD card as the one they have has been bricked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:11 PM   #8
eloi
eloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo clara hd
that's very reassuring, thank you all! i will sell it on ebay *after* factory resetting it.
unrelated but i'm always surprised of how responsive and insightful everyone is on this forum
eloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:29 AM   #9
MasterBomarc
MasterBomarc began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
I may have a use for it if my problems with MH Clara are hardware instead of software. Let me know if you're giving it away. Or send me the ebay listing.
MasterBomarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I listed a broken Nook Glo on Ebay for a low price for parts, and it was snatched up within days. There is no other way to get parts. So, be specific with what is wrong with it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote