Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #46
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
[...] (how can she hate Heinlein?). [...]
Maybe she tried to read The Number of the Beast? For me, that book would qualify for this thread. After a wonderful first 30 pages there was 500 of drivel. Of course Heinlein wrote some good stuff too, although his space operas are the only ones that still bear reading, the others I found haven't aged as well.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:58 PM   #47
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Foreigner by Cherryh

On Basilisk Station by Weber

The Windup Girl by Bacigalupi

Perdido Street Station by Mieville
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2020, 01:41 AM   #48
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yup, this is the kind of book that occurs to me off the top of my head. Two loathsome examples are the Ice and Fire books and the Dragon Tattoo books (the ones written by Larsson). Why I finished them I'll never know; momentum, mostly.
100% agree on the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which I abandoned with extreme prejudice. I found it dire, as I did Stranger in a Strange Land. I managed to read other Heinleins in my younger years, including some that people find much worse than SiaSL (The Number of the Beast, anyone?[1]), but apparently these days my patience for him is far lower.

The book I most regret not abandoning was Love in the Time of Cholera. It was, shall we say, Not For Me.

[1] ETA: Snap, gmw. I hadn't read the second page of posts before responding.

Last edited by meeera; 01-08-2020 at 01:45 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:30 AM   #49
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I bought the Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco years ago when it was an Amazon 'deal of the day'. I'm just now getting around to reading it. My jury is still out on whether or not I'm going to like it. It would seem some knowledge on the history of Catholic Orders like Franciscans and Benedictines would be real helpful. I'm also finding it a bit slow although I'm not far into it yet. I'll keep plugging along, perhaps doing some wikipedia reading on Franciscans and Benedictines. I'm not quite ready to pull the plug, it is well written.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #50
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Satanic Verses. [...]
I also gave up on The Name of the Rose. I just couldn't get interested in it.
“My friends and editors suggested I abbreviate the first hundred pages, which they found very difficult and demanding. Without thinking twice, I refused, because, as I insisted, if somebody wanted to enter the abbey and live there for seven days, he had to accept the abbey’s own pace. If he could not, he would never manage to read the whole book. Therefore those first hundred pages are like a penance or initiation, and if someone does not like them, so much the worse for him. He can stay at the foot of the mountain.” (Eco, Post-Script to The Name of the Rose, 1984,).

ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2020, 03:16 AM   #51
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post
“My friends and editors suggested I abbreviate the first hundred pages, which they found very difficult and demanding. Without thinking twice, I refused, because, as I insisted, if somebody wanted to enter the abbey and live there for seven days, he had to accept the abbey’s own pace. If he could not, he would never manage to read the whole book. Therefore those first hundred pages are like a penance or initiation, and if someone does not like them, so much the worse for him. He can stay at the foot of the mountain.” (Eco, Post-Script to The Name of the Rose, 1984,).

So it was intentional. While I can admire his artistic integrity, I don't think I'll give it another go.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:34 AM   #52
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
So it was intentional. While I can admire his artistic integrity, I don't think I'll give it another go.
It might be one of situations where the movie is better than the book.

I've tried the book a couple of times and never really gotten very far into it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:38 AM   #53
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It might be one of situations where the movie is better than the book.

I've tried the book a couple of times and never really gotten very far into it.
The movie is more accessible obviously. A two hours whodunit set in a monastery. I do not think it is outstanding in any way. It takes little from the book, it could also be based on a novel by Ken Follett.

The novel requires a bigger investment, not only in time but in concentration. But for me it was effort well spent, a very rewarding read. Once you "get in" the book is very immersive, suspenseful and intelligent.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:32 AM   #54
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post

I'm at page 120. I don't really see it picking up, although the second murder has occurred. I'm still sticking it out. I've invested this much, I'll see where it takes me. I was tempted based on your post to get through the first 100 pages then start over to make sure I got the most out of it. I decided against that approach.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:06 AM   #55
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I was never bored by The Name of the Rose. I found the theology rigid, the murders insipid, and the injustices too many. Otherwise, I would have gladly give the book 4 stars, instead of the two it received from me.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #56
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I was never bored by The Name of the Rose. I found the theology rigid, the murders insipid, and the injustices too many. Otherwise, I would have gladly give the book 4 stars, instead of the two it received from me.
So other than that, the play was fine?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #57
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
So other than that, the play was fine?
I brought this upon myself.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:24 AM   #58
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
"Name of the Rose" is about semiotics and literary theory, wrapped in a medieval crime story. Easier to read than a text book on those subjects.

I read it, found it heavy sledding, but I did spot the underlying theme.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:54 AM   #59
Luffy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
"Name of the Rose" is about semiotics and literary theory, wrapped in a medieval crime story. Easier to read than a text book on those subjects.

I read it, found it heavy sledding, but I did spot the underlying theme.
Much easier to read than a text book on those subjects. I'm taking literary theory as part of a course.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #60
fum
Zealot
fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWII
Could it be a matter of translation? I have read it, in Danish, and it is one of the best books i have ever read. Although, I must confess, i haven’t read any other books by Eco. I have tried, but I didn’t like them.
fum is online now   Reply With Quote