Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-18-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
Hiryu
Hiryu began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
Issues migrating Calibre server to windows

Hi -- I'm trying to migrate my Calibre setup to a new windows machine (it was on a mac before).

The installed GUI version is fine, and the Content Server is running great. On the mac, I was able to run a separate server looking at a separate library through the CLI. I tried to recreate that in Windows and am having issues

cd program files\Calibre2

calibre-server.exe -p 2500 --with-library "E:\Calibre Book Library"

I entered the above into the command prompt, and it seems to execute and just hang there. I checked with my iphone app to connect to the server and cannot.

It's been a while since I've used calibre and am coming back to it now, am I missing something here?

Secondarily, I used to apply this:

calibredb.exe add --with-library="E:\Calibre Book Library" --recurse C:\Users\HX\Dropbox\Books rm -r C:\Users\HX\Dropbox\Books*

So that I can add books into a Dropbox folder and it will be uploaded to the calibre server. Obviously that's not working either -- if anyone can help me figure out how to get the server up and running and applying the calibredb command, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Not sure if syntax is different on Windows.

BTW, running on a Windows 8.1 machine that's going to be the server. Thanks.
Hiryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The server task will remain there, waiting for clients to connect, until you exit it - red X top right.

What iPhone app? Assuming its a browser, enter "http://<server name or ip address>:2500" as the URL, if that works bookmark it as Calibre Server. If it doesn't work, ping the server - if that doesn't respond then your iPhone can't see the server - you need to resolve that first.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2016, 01:53 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There's no difference between calibre's syntax on Mac/Windows/Linux. The only gotchas are pathnames.

Note: That command for adding books is broken -- `rm -r /newly/added/books/` needs to be a new command separated by ";" or "&"
Of course, Windows doesn't use the bash shell so there is a different "delete files" command.

The calibre-server command doesn't print output -- it is meant to simply sit there until you quit.

Test on your computer running the server. The port number is 2500 so http://0.0.0.0:2500 should show the server.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
1) no need to do the CD "\program files\calibre2"
Calibre is on the path if you did a normal install

2) any commandline (bat) command with a space in it needs to be quoted eg "\program files\foo bar.exe"

3) all paths assume from your USERDIR If you want something off root, you must start at root "\program files" (really not different than linux)

4) Remember there are 2 sets of Program Files (for 32 and 64 bit), be sure to specify the correct one for your program
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:32 AM   #5
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Allow calibre-server (or alternatively the port) through Windows firewall. If you don't do that, you won't have much luck accessing the server from any other device.

Control panel > Security > Windows Firewall > Allow app or feature through Windows Firewall

The above is for Windows 10, but Windows 8.1 is very similar.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert