Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
ntome
ntome began at the beginning.

Device: none
Locking for new software

hi.

I have lots of e-books, in the most variable formats.
I'm locking for a book manager. I tried lots of them and yet not find the one that fills all my meads.
It has to read all kind of files (including cbr, cba, pdf, doc etc. and if possible tutorial videos and presentations)

One that i've liked its calibre but I can't define my one file structure. It makes an unorganized (or poorly organized) tree of directories that I can't (or don't now how) personalise.

I keep a lot of documents in .pdf to (like bank bills,important email and letters prints, etc) and i kep them in different directories. The caliber solution of 2 different libraries was not bad. I can simply change the lib. form e-book lib to bill lib or to my work procedures manual lib. But, once again, they make me use their one directories tree.

What's you advice?

Tanks all.
ntome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
ntome

ps. it would be perfect if it was Open source.
Even better if it was java based(but not essential).
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Calibre...its free and works great
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
ntome

Calibre is great. Probably the best i tried.
But it makes this own directories structure and there's no way that it cam be personalize.
Is there other good one to that you recommend?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Why would you need your own directory structure when you can manage your entire collection from within Calibre.
Anyway, Calibre has a Save to Disk option, which you can use to build your own directory structure. In the Preferences you can specify a template for this structure.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
The idea with Calibre is that it's a book database, with all of the managing to occur within Calibre. As has been noted, Save to Disk allows you to save in the directory structure of your choice. In your example, you could tag bills, receipts, letters, etc. and then choose tags for your Save template, so that bills went in to the Bills folder etc.

Having said all of this, Calibre is designed as a book database, so will work better for organizing your books. Just don't try to look at or use Calibre's directory structure. If it offends you, tuck it away where you don't have to see it. Access your files from within Calibre and Calibre will manage them well.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote