Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
kerrware
kerrware began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting Layered? PDFs

I'm busy trying to convert some PDFs for viewing on my iRiver Story. Many seem to work without conversion but a couple I created myself using Serif PagePlus X4 are causing problems. When viewed unconverted the pages appear blank. When converted using Calibre to either PDF or EPUB the cover appears correctly but subsequent pages are reduced to a series of page components. e.g. page background image followed by the background border, then a series of black picture backgrounds (pictures were given a shadow effect) and the pictures themselves, and finally the artice text.

I was playing around and recreated one of the books using PlagePlus using the "Flatten and Strip" option and it worked - I can view the document (slowly) on the iRiver. Other options may have worked (like Fatten and Mask or Flatten Only but |'ve not tried them yet).

My question is there anyway of doing a similar conversion using Calibre (or some other tool)?
The source for one of the documents is no longer available so I can't just regenerate a new version.

Thanks.
kerrware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Can you flatten the PDF by printing the PDF to a PDF 'printer'?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
kerrware
kerrware began at the beginning.

Device: none
Converting Layered? PDFs

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately no.

When I originally created the pdf book for a preview distribution I decided I did not want anybody printing or editing the document so I secured the file. As I thought I would not need to edit or print the document myself I just hit the keyboard at random to create a password - not recreatable. PagePlus and Adobe seems to respect this locking - Calibre seems to ignore it.
kerrware is offline   Reply With Quote