Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
LIT-to->EPUB conversion leaving behind temp files?

I converted a few books from LIT to EPUB and noticed that Calibre is leaving behind what looks like some temp files, that don't seem to be attached to the spine of the book.

I noticed this due to how Sigil seems to handle these 'orphaned' files (inserting them into the spine arbitrarily). See the thread here regarding my initial rant:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87707

I'm not exactly sure if this is cause by a problem in the Calibre conversion pipeline, or my source .LIT files being malformed somehow. But even if the latter is true, I'm not sure it's necessary for Calibre to leave behind junk files like this, right?

The files it leaves behind are in a '~export~_files' folder within the epub itself.

Last edited by Stinger; 06-20-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I converted a few books from LIT to EPUB and noticed that Calibre is leaving behind what looks like some temp files, that don't seem to be attached to the spine of the book.
The files are left behind because calibre didn't create them. The files were in the LIT package at the beginning of the process. Kovid is not about to remove files at random. The person may be in the middle of testing various covers or layouts during development and would be irritated if calibre started picking and choosing files for him/her.

Quote:
I noticed this due to how Sigil seems to handle these 'orphaned' files
When you're in Sigil make sure to delete these files prior to save and you'll be fine.

Quote:
I'm not sure it's necessary for Calibre to leave behind junk files like this, right?
Calibre is not about to determine what is and isn't junk. It is just a tool to convert junk from one format to another format without making any judgments on said junk.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-20-2010 at 09:33 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert