Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #46
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
This is really interesting.

See Plastic Logic? (and iRex and company...)
This is what happens when you announce products 18 months in advance.... Someone virtually beats you to it. (with an advance announcement...)

But I have a feeling that the introduction of tabled devices will change the paradigm/expectations before any of the new flexible readers have a chance to launch.

Anyway,looks like 2010 will be a great year.
Tablets are targeted at a very different market segment, they have a lot of additional functionality (browsing, music, video, interacting with online contacts) in some areas but fall way short in other ways (they are heavy, run hot, have a short battery life, have poor text readability, etc).

Tablets will outsell readers, of course. Computers are a much bigger markets than reading devices. The real fun will start when the two can actually merge and tablets begin to look like the pictured device.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-04-2010 at 10:48 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #47
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
As I have read, Plastic Logic started out with a flexible model but decided to change to a rigid frame after test users just couldn't get used to the flexibility. I guess it depends how soft it is, if it stays rigid when you hold it in one hand but can be bent using slight pressure, then it would be okay. Though perhaps more of a gimmick then really useful.

Anyway, great somebody else is coming out with a similar device, this will keep Plastic Logic's pricing in check. But let us hope this device will be available in the very near future.
Dude, it's not as if the Skiff is going to be floppy either. It will be in a rigid case as well. The original design of the Que show as a prototype was very floppy and would be completely frustrating to use, plus there would be no reasonable place for a battery and other hardware...my guess was the prototype shown was simply to show off the flexible panel. And it will be just as flexible in the final product as well...take a look at the Skiff website and the images again...the actual reader is rigid...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #48
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Hans:

This info should help you out, it's direct from the Skiff site:

Quote:
Device Dimensions:
9 inches (228.6 mm) by
11 inches (279.4 mm) by
0.268 inches (6.8 mm)

Weight:
17-9/16 oz (498 grams)

Magnesium housing
this means rigid housing/case. it is nice that it's an MgAlloy case so it will stand up to about anything.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #49
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
At least they have some new ideas! Of course, what I would want is full functionality, also when using it in tablet mode.
Hmm, that though brings up a limitation I didn't think of initially.

Why tablet/slate PCs tend to suck is they just end up being a touch version of Windows, with touch replacing the mouse, and that's not idea. Vs. something like the iPhone with an OS built from the ground up around touching to control it.

So any tablet that just detaches from a Laptop would probably have the same issues as it would just be running the laptop OS rather than some new OS designed specifically around being a touch/stylus tablet rather than a mouse/keyboard (or touch pad) computer.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #50
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Hmm, that though brings up a limitation I didn't think of initially.

Why tablet/slate PCs tend to suck is they just end up being a touch version of Windows, with touch replacing the mouse, and that's not idea. Vs. something like the iPhone with an OS built from the ground up around touching to control it.

So any tablet that just detaches from a Laptop would probably have the same issues as it would just be running the laptop OS rather than some new OS designed specifically around being a touch/stylus tablet rather than a mouse/keyboard (or touch pad) computer.
I don't see that as too much of a problem. In tablet mode I would only use it for browsing, video, and music. In that case it is fine to use a touch screen as a substitute for a mouse. For everything else I would use keyboard and mouse.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-04-2010 at 11:00 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #51
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
I don't see that as too much of a problem. In tablet mode I would only use it for browsing, video, and music. In that case it is fine to use a touch screen as a substitute for a mouse. For everything else I would use keyboard and mouse.
We'll see. The tablet PCs I've used have been pretty clunky even for that when using the stylus instead of the keyboard/mouse, even for browsing.

I really want a tablet that's optimized for use as a tablet. Something that "just works" like an iPhone does. But with stylus and finger support--and a larger screen of course.

And of course, for me, a main need is marking up documents with stylus, so it needs REALLY good and precise stylus support etc. Multi touch is a must as well.

I guess I don't really want a PC with a touch screen. I want a pure tablet device.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #52
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Based on the photo's the skiff is the sexiest reader yet. Don't know if I would actually have a use for one, but it sure does look nice.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 AM   #53
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Based on the photo's the skiff is the sexiest reader yet. Don't know if I would actually have a use for one, but it sure does look nice.....
I agree with you wholeheartedly, I love the streamlined look of it. Actually, this might just be my ideal academic reader, here's to hoping! I can't seem to see any place to put the stylus, however, maybe the skiff will come with a special case?

I wonder when we will start to see 5 and 6 inch flexible screens? Maybe this year?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #54
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Tablets will outsell readers, of course. Computers are a much bigger markets than reading devices.
So you think there are more Tablet PCs out there than ereaders such as the kindle?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #55
beezle
beezle began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS505
Quote:
As I have read, Plastic Logic started out with a flexible model but decided to change to a rigid frame after test users just couldn't get used to the flexibility.
Thats interesting. I was thinking myself last night about these two large devices. Its great to have something suitable for text books, academic papers, etc. However, are we talking a clear plastic coating which is reflective? I think that would be quite annoying, similar to the problems many people have with their shiny iMacs. My Sony ereader has a matte finish which makes it very easy on the eyes. I wouldn't want to read from it if it had a clear glass finish as that would pick up interior lightling.

Just something to wonder about
beezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #56
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Consider it to be your duty to find a way to sneak in and deliver a full report!
If someone can find a way to sneak into a presidential affair I think Nate can manage this. Just use the same line:

"I lost my invitation."

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #57
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post

I wonder when we will start to see 5 and 6 inch flexible screens? Maybe this year?

PolymerVision's new "Readius" will be out this year. I'm not sure if they will use a 5 or 6 inch screen. The CEO told me they have made a few advancements since they original failed to launch. What will launch will be a newer improved device. I for one can't wait to see it.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I don't see how this is the largest display...the Que panel is spec'd at 8.5" x 11" which means about a 14" diagonal measurement. Still it's a nice true large format panel.
I think they're saying that it will be the largest device actually on the market. The Que currently has no announced release date.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #59
scottiac
scottiac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would dearly love to have either the skiff or the que, almost entirely for "academic" and "tech" books. The skiff looks absolutely beautiful, but reading their web site, I don't get a warm and fuzzy that you would be able to load any ole' content on it. It *could* be interpreted to say they will only have content that goes through their Skiff services.

Anyone getting any other information about formats / accessibility of content?
scottiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #60
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I'm a bit concerned that they don't include which formats they support on the website or the press release. Bu they want of course to save some things for the official launch event on Thursday.

The press release does say
Quote:
A full touchscreen enables users to intuitively navigate and engage with the newspapers, magazines, books and other digital content they purchase through the Skiff Store, as well as personal and work documents.
The Tech Spec page also talks about USB for side loading content. So you will definitely be able to use some items of your own. We'll have to wait until Thursday for more detail.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote