Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Question about using Calibre with DRM files

I downloaded a free ebook from the Sony store and tried to load it into Calibre. At first, it did not work. Then someone explained to me that I had not 'validated' my reader yet and attached it to my Sony account. I did this, re-loaded the ebook into Calibre, loaded it onto the Sony Reader and it looked fine. However, I was contemplating a buy from Shortcovers (DRMd epub file) and their guy said this would not work?

So I am a bit confused and want to work this out before I spend any money with them.

1) If I download a DRMd file, will it 'work' with Calobre (i.e. be able to be loaded in, tagged and then transferred in a useable way to the Reader) as long as I check it with the Sony software first to make sure it is 'validated' or something?

2) If it will NOT work, what is the best way to get it onto the reader? Can I open it with the Sony software, tag it somehow (I have never done this with Sony software and don't know how) load it onto the reader and do this in such a way that it won't 'bother' Calibre? I know about not having them open at the same time, but I want to make sure that if I use the Sony software to tag and transfer a few books, it won't mess up Calibre, which I use for my 500+ other books

I appreciate any assistance, thanks so much!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Hoping to take advantage of a sale that ends tonight, so I was really hoping someone could answer...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sorry, don't know the answer. You could always remove the DRM (if you don't have a problem with that), then you could do whatever you want with it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
1) Yes. Once you've got the book, (and that's a 2-stage process what with the DRM, which is what the Sony software's doing in the background,) Calibre can transfer it to the Reader just like any other book. It can't itself display it or convert it, but copying it to the Reader is fine.

2) Not required, but just for the sake of completeness, you could as long as you disconnect the Reader from the PC between using Calibre & the Sony software - I typically use Calibre, but for eLibrary books, the nature of which mean that I won't be keeping them around, I use the Sony software to both download and copy to the Reader.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote