Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 02:01 AM   #196
D-Style
D-Style began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yeah, I've been leaning towards the 505. I almost went out and bought it last night, but Walmart was closed.

The issues I have with the 505 are that the product is now discontinued and I know recently some have been reporting to get it at $200, the Walmart here sells it for $230. If the price dropped to $200 or less I would probably jump on it.

I'm keeping it high on my list, I don't need the portability of a 5", but then again I have never seen a 5" in the flesh.

The kindle I think has too much real estate dedicated to buttons, but I do like the availability of the kindle books.

Right now, I'm going to see if the price on the 505 drops further and see how the pocketpro reviews go.

Also hopefully walmart will start carrying the 300 soon, but I suppose I could just order and return it.

I appreciate the responses, been back and forth so many times on this.
D-Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:11 AM   #197
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Style View Post
Yeah, I've been leaning towards the 505. I almost went out and bought it last night, but Walmart was closed.

The issues I have with the 505 are that the product is now discontinued and I know recently some have been reporting to get it at $200, the Walmart here sells it for $230. If the price dropped to $200 or less I would probably jump on it.

I'm keeping it high on my list, I don't need the portability of a 5", but then again I have never seen a 5" in the flesh.

The kindle I think has too much real estate dedicated to buttons, but I do like the availability of the kindle books.

Right now, I'm going to see if the price on the 505 drops further and see how the pocketpro reviews go.

Also hopefully walmart will start carrying the 300 soon, but I suppose I could just order and return it.

I appreciate the responses, been back and forth so many times on this.
I've briefly checked prices for Sony 505 in Germany/Europe. The cheapest I've found was 179 British Pound Sterling = 200 Euro = 280 US Dollar.
230 US Dollar from Walmart seems spectacular. No chance in Germany. Here it's still 250 Euro = 350 US Dollar. But Germany always is extremely expensive...
Purely speculating: I don't expect Sony 505 dropping significantly lower. Stock already is limited. Sony most likely smoothly will phase it out and stick (more or less) to the actual prices.

On page 10 of this thread you find a picture, comparing sizes of Sony 505 and Sony 300. Size of the housing isn't that different, single hand use is no problem with both units.
But, surprisingly enough, 1" difference on the display DOES make a difference.

I didn't check for the US recently. But in Germany, bookstores for the moment usually bundle Sony 505 and gift certificates. Often you find 50 Euro credits for eBooks included in the reader's price. If you intend to purchase books, this may be worth looking into it.

Concerning "end of life" of Sony 505: I'm not too worried about that. Sony has sold quite significant numbers, so spare parts for the next few years shouldn't be a problem. And there only has been a single firmware update so far, focussing on ePUB. So, whether 505 would be continued or not, there probably wouldn't be any firmware updates anyway...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-06-2009 at 01:21 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 03:41 AM   #198
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Hi there,

sorry to intrude, but D-Style, have a look at that:
http://www.frys.com/product/5748422

It's not available for shipping, but they still have them in some of their stores available for picking up.Maybe it's worth giving it a try.

Last edited by aceflor; 09-06-2009 at 01:20 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #199
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Arrow Sony 300 vs. Sony 600 vs. Sony 700 vs. Sony 505

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...450#post583450

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-07-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #200
babalou
babalou never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.babalou never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.babalou never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.babalou never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.babalou never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.babalou never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.babalou never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.babalou never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.babalou never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.babalou never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.babalou never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Always tracking your posts.....
I'm still not sure: Cybook Opus or Sony 300?
What's your recommendation, considering price, availability in Germany, nuber of books available, accessories, ...?
babalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #201
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalou View Post
Always tracking your posts.....
I'm still not sure: Cybook Opus or Sony 300?
What's your recommendation, considering price, availability in Germany, nuber of books available, accessories, ...?
My answer here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...74&postcount=5

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-07-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #202
mgmueller
Member Retired

Arrow Pink Sony 300 vs. Red Sony 600

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...48&postcount=4

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-07-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #203
rwe
Enthusiast
rwe began at the beginning.

Device: ipod sony
flicker on sony screen when changing pages?

maybe you can clarify something, i got a sony 300 and besides the discussion on reflection, which i don't recognise in the 300, the screen is perfect, i found one thing very strange and not mentioned.
when changing pages, the screen inverts very briefly to black background, white letters, is this a "feature" of e readers in general or only on the sony,
would appreciate your "reflection" on this
rwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #204
D-Style
D-Style began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe View Post
maybe you can clarify something, i got a sony 300 and besides the discussion on reflection, which i don't recognise in the 300, the screen is perfect, i found one thing very strange and not mentioned.
when changing pages, the screen inverts very briefly to black background, white letters, is this a "feature" of e readers in general or only on the sony,
I believe you are referring to the splash of black as the page turns. This is a feature of e-ink. If you go check out some youtube vids you will see that all the e-ink devices have it. The only one I have seen that doesn't have it is the Jetbook, but that is LCD.
D-Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #205
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe View Post
the screen inverts very briefly to black background, white letters, is this a "feature" of e readers in general or only on the sony,
Yes, this effect appears more or less on any eink technology display.
It's like a blackboard that has to be erased before writing again.
One of the drawbacks of eink technology is slow refresh rate, though great progress has been made as far as I know.

Edit: didn't see D-style's answer... duplicate answer...
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #206
Quicksand
Quicksand began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
... Sony 700 I like less because of the glare and I've heard similar about Sony 600 (I get mine on Monday, let's see). ...
MG, did you get your 600? How do you like it?
Quicksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 AM   #207
mgmueller
Member Retired

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
MG, did you get your 600? How do you like it?
I've got it on Monday last week.
And I've been positively surprised.
In https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55857 I'm comparing all 4 Sonys: 300, 505, 600 and 700.

Brief summary:
Sony, with the 600, got it all right.
Better display than 700, better design and usability than 300.
My ranking:
Sony 700 = #4
Sony 300 = #3
Sony 505 and Sony 600 = even = #1

I absolutely can recommend it!

Another picture: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...48&postcount=4

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-14-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:16 AM   #208
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Style View Post
I believe you are referring to the splash of black as the page turns. This is a feature of e-ink. If you go check out some youtube vids you will see that all the e-ink devices have it. The only one I have seen that doesn't have it is the Jetbook, but that is LCD.
For the overwhelming majority of people, after using the device for an hour or so, they no longer consciously "see" the screen flash. Your brain just "filters it out". It's a total "non-issue".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #209
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I hadn't seen this thread before, thanks for reviving it! I love the group photo The Opus looks so tiny next to the big Kindle. And the Kindle's design seems to have improved A LOT, I could even consider buying it if Amazon wasn't making such a mess with the mobi format.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #210
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
MG,

I just added to your Karma!! What a great thread. Wireless doesn't mean much to me. I have a computer available all the time and don't mind downloading to the computer and then moving to the reader. I,too, consider the cost of books to be the major factor.

Given your statements on the number of books purchased compared to the cost of the reader, how do you feel the Epub's available from ebook libraries (free) will impact purchase decisions and rankings on readers which don't have such access (Kindle)? Reviewers seem to be focusing on this issue since the recent Sony Press Conference at the NYPL. Does it affect your rankings?
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test