Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #1
zkab
zkab began at the beginning.

Device: none
Create epub

I have a bunch of books in LibreOffice Writer.
They are pretty simple with cover image,no table of contents, text.
Calibre converts them to epub with a lot of typographical errors.
I have tried to convert both from PDF and ODF ...
How can that be done - to edit all the books after the conversion is a huge task.
I run Calibre in Linux.
zkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@zkab - Save them as DOCX and convert to EPUB, see What are the best source formats to convert?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Typographical errors? Your book has charts, Tabular data ('not in Tables')?

EPUB2 is a reflowable format. Those need special (manual) treatments

Indents, spacing... are contolled / overridden by the conversion settings (as seen on the conversion start dialog). Preferences are for the First time conversion only,
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
zkab

I saved the book in DOCX-format and converted it to EPUB ... same sad story.
Have a feeling that there is a lot of manually work involved to get it working ... I have to continue with a simple PDF instead of EPUB ...
Old 04-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkab View Post
I saved the book in DOCX-format and converted it to EPUB ... same sad story.
Have a feeling that there is a lot of manually work involved to get it working ... I have to continue with a simple PDF instead of EPUB ...
Why did you avoid answering my first (and only question)?
What type of CONTENT is going amiss?

Or are you simply expecting an exact replica of the LO printed paper output?
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Here's an article about converting LibreOffice to EPUB format: ClickHere

The article provides a download of a fairly complex input document in ODT format to test conversions to EPUB.

I ran the document through calibre conversion (ODT -> EPUB) with good results. Pertaining to calibre, the article said: "Good output, competitive with eLAIX".

Are your books in ODT or ODF format? Does LibreOffice let you open an ODF and "save as" ODT? If so, using LibreOffice for ODF -> ODT and then calibre for ODT -> EPUB might yield the most accurate conversion without a lot of manual tweaking.

Last edited by MartyTX; 04-18-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Additional comment/question
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds to me like it might be a fixed layout document, they are often pigs to convert to ePUB. I usually leave them as PDF and maybe tweak with Willus' PDF 'optimiser' tool (its in the PDF forum).

BR
Old 04-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
zkab

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Typographical errors? Your book has charts, Tabular data ('not in Tables')?[/U] only,
My book looks as follows:

Page 1) Cover image
Page 2) Title (only 2 lines of text)
Page 3-5) A couple of text info lines and below an scaled image
Page 6->) The book text

When I convert from .docx and check it with 'E-book viewer' I get following:

Page 1) Cover image
Page 2) Cover image
Page 3) Seems OK
Page 4-5) The images are in wrong places and indents & spacing didn't work
Page 7->) The book text seems more or less OK - also indents & spacing didn't work
Drop Caps gets ugly ...

How can that be fixed ?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Have you read the manual ==>> Convert Microsoft Word documents

Did you look at the sample document therein?

BR
Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Your cover problem is because Calibre is probably set to Add a cover (and Jacket) and did not detect that there was a 'cover'

In EPUB both the PAGE and the IMAGE must get the Semantics set to cover

IMHO Dropcaps are always iffy once they hit a device (blame those devices for variations on following a CSS). In this case, the Calibre viewer is also a device that does not match the 'Word viewer device'

I use the editor to code for my devices. Yes, the same code does NOT perform as desired on both my Kindle and EZReader. I fine tune for the targets.

If you are targeting the Public, You will need to make versions for each or KISS (very simple layout)
Old 04-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
zkab

OK - I checked the link 'Convert Microsoft Word documents' and as I understand to get the images in proper place on a page is not trivial.
Also Dropcaps is not shown as the should.
That leaves me to stick to PDF since there apparently are so any problems with docx -> ePUB calibre conversion ...
Old 04-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #12
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkab View Post
That leaves me to stick to PDF since there apparently are so any problems with docx -> ePUB calibre conversion ...
Reference my post of the 18th ...

Do you use the LibreOffice Writer program itself, or do you just have books in LibreOffice Writer format?

FWIW, the conversion I tried in calibre from ODT to EPUB worked quite well.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@zkab - if you do want further help regarding calibre conversions you will have to frame the request as per this - which is a Sticky at the top of this subforum ==>> How to ask a question about conversion problems

I use calibre to convert upwards of a dozen DOCX's a day to EPUB, many of them originate as PDF's. But if the document has many tables, sidebars, images etc etc - I leave it as PDF. If you want to read the PDF on a small screen (phone, tablet) then have a look at Willus' pdf optimiser, it's in the PDF forum.

If you have access to Word (2007 and up) you could try Toxaris' EpubTools addin - it's in the Workshop forum.

BR
Old 04-20-2016, 05:39 AM   #14
zkab

OK -thanks