Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Lightbulb Attention Kindle Users

In response to a post about tv listings on the Kindle, I recommended a page called MyWay.

I have used MyWay on my computer for years. It's free and it's extremely customizable.

For my Kindle, I set up a new account (all you need is a valid email address to set one up ... and they do not spam you or sell your information to spammers), and I created a few pages:

News
Entertainment (for movie times and tv listings)
Weather
TV Favorites

I left the background as the default white, and changed a few of the colors to gray ... although the default blue displays the contrast well enough.

I made the Entertainment page my default page, and set it up so that I stay logged in ... that way I don't need to sign on while accessing through my Kindle.

The tv listings do have a small font .... so I find that I tend to increase the font for viewing them. However, since there is an option to select your favorite shows to display on a different page, it's easy for me to spot when something is coming on that I don't want to miss.

However, I must correct myself. There is an option on the MyWay page to change the font size of how the pages are displayed. So, I find using that option, and setting it on the "large" size, I can view the listings quite easily, even with the Kindle font set on 2.

Anyway, I highly recommend MyWay to all Kindle users. I think you will find it is a great tool.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 06-27-2008 at 01:58 PM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Can you do an alt-shift-G on your Kindle, while displaying this page, and save a copy of the screen shot? It'll show up at the root level of your SD card. Then you could post it here and show us a sample.

(Cuz I'm too lazy to try it myself until I see it first!)
(Oh, and besides, I try not to watch TV so I'm not your prime target.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Can you do an alt-shift-G on your Kindle, while displaying this page, and save a copy of the screen shot? It'll show up at the root level of your SD card. Then you could post it here and show us a sample.

(Cuz I'm too lazy to try it myself until I see it first!)
(Oh, and besides, I try not to watch TV so I'm not your prime target.)
Yes, I could do that. Although, even if you are not a tv watcher ... the site has wonderful customizable news and weather and a lot of other stuff, which I find nicer than the default bookmarks provided by Kindle.

I will go back in and get you all some screen shots.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Maybe the title of this thread could be changed to "TV Listing on your Kindle".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Maybe the title of this thread could be changed to "TV Listing on your Kindle".

BOb
Except that MyWay is a whole LOT more than just tv listings. It is a great news page (where you can decide what news feeds you want to see and group them all together on one page).

You can also create pages devoted to the weather, or online comics. They load fast and they are extremely easy to read on the Kindle.

Having looked at the default bookmarks on the Kindle, I would hazard saying that MyWay does a better job than most of them. I even use it as my Google search jumping off point.

So, just mentioning tv listings would really cripple the point of the post.
Advert
Old 06-27-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Except that MyWay is a whole LOT more than just tv listings. It is a great news page (where you can decide what news feeds you want to see and group them all together on one page).
Gotcha... it's just that such a generic thread title doesn't really help people when they are scanning thread names to find something they are looking for.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

OK ... here start the screenshots

I've attached four screenshots .... my news page (I've got National, World, Science, Entertainment, and "Odd" on the news page(s)

Across the top, you can see I've got an "entertainment" page (and I'll probably change the name of that to TV & Movies since that's all I have there), "my Page", News, weather and TV favorites.

The weather page is pretty self explanatory, as are the tv grid and the tv favorites ... which gives you a daily listing of the shows you tell the page you like.

The thing that I really like about this set up is that it is easy to read on the Kindle, I can change the settings when I travel so that I can easily get local information ....

AND ... I can keep a backup list of all of my bookmarks on a special page if I like ... rather than using the Kindle's bookmark page.

But, as mentioned, it's free and I happen to think it is pretty nifty ... and, in fact, I like it a lot better than the yahoo pages. That's why I thought you might all like to know that it is there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newsshot-11067.gif
Views:	539
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	13873   Click image for larger version

Name:	weathershot-11066.gif
Views:	530
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	13874   Click image for larger version

Name:	gridshot-11062.gif
Views:	584
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	13875   Click image for larger version

Name:	favsshot-11065.gif
Views:	511
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	13876  
Old 06-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Gotcha... it's just that such a generic thread title doesn't really help people when they are scanning thread names to find something they are looking for.

BOb
Bob ... if you've got a good suggestion for a title that will get the Kindle owners in the door to look at this, and you can talk a moderator into changing it .... you've certainly got my support.

I really do think that this is a site they should know about.