Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
CM7 - two great apps for books and video

Just a quick post that might save those of you getting CM7 onto your Nooks some time and hassle. Although the CM7 card allows you to dual boot, I have not gone back to my regular NC since I got things as I want them.

Books: the most awesome app I found for reading is the Mantano Reader. It is actually (IMHO) better than the Nook reader. You can customize it more (fonts etc.) and so forth.

Video: after some hassles trying to encode video, I found the MX Player app. They have free with ads, or ad free pro versions - it will play ANYTHING as far as I can see - AVIs, MKVs etc. without any need to convert to MP4. I get a slight synch lag on some MKVs but everything else has played perfectly. You can pinch-zoom, adjust volume on screen etc. etc., and most importantly, it remembers your place. These are the main features missing from the native Nook Color player that I really missed and wanted.

Lastly: I spent hours trying to find the right combination of parameters for encoding my stuff to MP4 that would play on Android to no avail. Finally found that the Android mobile phone preset on my video converter did the job perfectly, and I could amp it up. (I use Aimersoft Video Ultimate - great software.)
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
katniss
katniss began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
Where can I download CM7??? And are there any cons?
katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by katniss View Post
Where can I download CM7???
You can download CM7 for the Nook Tablet here, and the instruction for making the CM7 SDcard is posted here.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #4
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

As @livramax said, you can make them easily enough, but I bought a pre-programmed 32GB microSD from ebay USA for under $40 for 32GB - absolutely hassle free - just put the card in! type goo.gl/PSKOx into your address bar and it will take you to the ebay pages. I think I saw them on Amazon too, or you can get them for twice the price at https://store.n2acards.com/

Absolutely no cons that I can think of. So far. Loving everything about it once past learning Android - which most people are familiar with from their phones already - but I don't have a mobile. (Downside of outback Australia.)
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I never use the Nook side. I did buy the n2a card last fall. I wanted to give my kids an android game player for Christmas. No android phones here (too expensive). The Nook Color Android is pretty good. I have the Kindle app on it, for the free picture books that are often available. I also have Coolreader on it, which I really like. Mainly, though, it gets used for games. My 6 and 9 yo girls love it. My boys (11 & 14) don't use it much. They are spoiled by large screens (I think the TV they play xbox on is 40"--possibly larger--and HD). I paid $119 for a refurb NC (had a gift card) + the 16GB n2a card. Makes a really nice Android game player

Maybe I spoke too soon....the thing does drive me crazy the way it likes to freeze up. So I spent some time playing the Nook side. I like it, except for the inability to side load apps, from getjar for example. The Fire is so much easier to use, I'm ready to throw the NC against the wall! I just have to remind myself...it's theirs....deep breath....

Last edited by booklover6; 06-25-2012 at 06:53 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Hoods7070
Groupie

LOL @Guru ... I know what you mean. My grandkids use my stuff, which is probably the main reason I changed to Android. (It keeps them off my PC.) I haven't had any freezes, but then again I am only running pretty basic stuff. As I said, I have found Mantano a far better reader than the Nook one, so everyone's happy.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
d56alpine
d56alpine began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 2
I use DVDCatalyst to put movies onto my daughters nook colors. It will automatically convert to several qualities of movies for Nook Color (and gobs of other devices). Since I got it, I actually recopied all my own ipad movies and redownloaded into itunes as there is no guessing about size/quality/format etc. They have very good support when a new movie comes out if you have any difficulty with converting it for your players. I can't recommend them enough. Really good customer support.
d56alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
Hoods7070
Groupie

Wow- that's a very cheap bit of software - fantastic! I might give it a try out of curiosity. I use Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate which does everything you said, profiles, great support etc. It also has tools for basic video editing (crop, enhance color and so on) and you can convert video to mp3 (youTube), capture a streaming movie etc. but it costs $60. I've used it for several years.