Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #316
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
This thread would be easier to follow if it were split into separate K4 and Touch threads.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #317
nickdotcat
nickdotcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4 NT
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5n00py View Post
Hi all! Today I compile most of the locale-dependent files.
Now we can translate UI of Kindle 4 to another languages.

http://twitter.com/#!/5n00p4eg/statu...942145/photo/1

On this foto few string translated to russian lang.
My method doesn't replace exists langs, just add another.

I already write some useful scripts.

My method is as follows:
1. Get all jars from kindle
2. copy and unzip lang-dependent(en_GB) (shell script)
3. decomile .class files to source .java files with JAD (shell script)
4. replace all references to en_GB by selected locale (shell script)
5. Fix some problems in .java files (hands)
6. Translate 195(!!!) .java files (hands)
7. Build (shell script)
8. Pack to jars (shell script)
9. move to kindle
10. add translation to settings (/opt/amazon/ebook/config/locales/)
11. Reboot
12. Select new locale & reboot
13. See new UI translation.

------
Works on Kindle 4 not-touch with 4.0.0 firmware
Great! Hope you can share your scripts with detail steps so that others can make more language packages, including me..

Hi all, I'm a new comer here~~
nickdotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #318
eGod
eGod began at the beginning.

Device: Gear VR, Oculus GO and others
Cool Screensaver Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikiller View Post
You need to make sure when you configure the computer side IP information that you are configuring it for the new network adapter that becomes available when you plug in your Kindle. Goto your networking control where you can see the interfaces present (Control Panel->Network and Internet->Network Connections). When you plug in the kindle that is in USB Networking Mode, a new interface should pop up if it is recognized properly and the drivers are present. I forgot what my computer called it, but I had to unplug and replug the USB cable in and out a couple of times sometimes to get it to show up. I am running Windows 7 64 bit Pro and windows recognized it and had the right drivers.

Keep trying!!
Thanks for the info - yes the driver does appear to be the issue - I had previously seen the popup and read ... somewhere ... to manually update it to use a Network Adaptor from Microsoft Corporation - and select the Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device Adaptor. I had done this, it popped up the warning about compatability, and I assumed that it had installed correctly. I have just gone back and rechecked in Devices and it had not loaded the drivers.
So I retried updating the driver and this time it did work and I now have a new Network connection Remote NDIS.
I configured this connection to use 192.168.15.1 and I was then able to connect using SSH.
All good so far however I now want to change the screensavers.

So I tried Yifanlu's method:
1) modify /var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs
2) Add this line: "screensaver.enable.userdefined=true"
3) put your screensavers into /mnt/us/sleepscreens

Added images - tried jpg 600x800 as well as png - to sleepscreens and restarted kindle but got the blank screen.

So I tried using Belkaars method:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
#Rename the 600x800 directory to 600x800_
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_
#Link the screensaver directory to the 600x800 directory
ln -s /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

Added images- tried jpg 600x800 as well as png - to screensaver and restarted kindle but again got the blank screen.

I could change the low_level_screens.dir=/opt/amazon/low_level_screens/600x800 option in the prefs file to point to /mnt/us/screensavers but according to Ekztal this is reset after a restart.

So now I'm thinking it may be the images not being compatible? So I copied an image from /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_ to both screensaver and sleepscreens and examined and my images are correct size and format ... so I'm back to stuck again

I would appreciate any ideas or thoughts on this subject.

Cheers
eGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #319
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Here's my WIP GUI menu launcher: https://github.com/yifanlu/KindleLauncher

It uses a manual hook (through a patched MenuDialog class) to add the launcher to every menu dialog and it also implements a reader plugin using the ReaderSDK to hook onto the menu when reading books.

I want developers to input some feedback on the API that I will make for the launcher. Right now, there are two ways of hooking your app into the launcher. 1) JSON and shell scripts/native apps, and 2) Java code. For option 1, you have a JSON text file that contains menu options and their actions. The action is a shell command with paramaters or open another menu. For option 2, you write a class that implements the Menuable interface that I wrote. Whenever the launcher menu is being created, you are free to plug in any number of menu item and define a callback for what each item does. For both options, menu items are sorted first by their priority number (defaults to 0) and second by their name.

I think having those two options should be enough for most things. Native scripts could launch background daemons like HTTP servers and such, or load an alternative OS like duokan. Java apps could make use of the Kindle UI elements and amazon's swing implementation. (prompt user for input, launch kindlets, etc).

What should I add and what should I change?

Last edited by yifanlu; 12-15-2011 at 11:19 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #320
stalker_by
stalker_by began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
removed
stalker_by is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #321
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGod View Post
Added images - tried jpg 600x800 as well as png - to sleepscreens and restarted kindle but got the blank screen.

So I tried using Belkaars method:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_
#Link the screensaver directory to the 600x800 directory
ln -s /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

Added images- tried jpg 600x800 as well as png - to screensaver and restarted kindle but again got the blank screen.

So now I'm thinking it may be the images not being compatible? So I copied an image from /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800_ to both screensaver and sleepscreens and examined and my images are correct size and format ... so I'm back to stuck again
Two things:

1) Did you set mntroot rw before you made the changes? Even then I had to give the link command a couple of times before it "took".

2) What filenames are you giving your screensavers. See my post in another thread... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...72#post1879472

Good luck
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #322
EightWeight
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
This thread would be easier to follow if it were split into separate K4 and Touch threads.
Agreed. At least there should be an understanding that K4 = no touch (or no keyboard) and Touch = well, Touch. Then there're the SO versions to deal with. But I don't think there is much basic difference between the K4SO and the K4, is there?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #323
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
I finally got my screens back! I had been extra smart and made a backup of my backup and it restored everything. I didn't get my screen savers back until I changed the the low_level_screens.dir= in the perf file. Oddly enough my kindle never had that line in the perfs file. Ever. But once I added it in, the screen savers came back! (So I'd give that a shot and see if your screensavers starts working )
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #324
eGod
eGod began at the beginning.

Device: Gear VR, Oculus GO and others
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightWeight View Post
Two things:

1) Did you set mntroot rw before you made the changes? Even then I had to give the link command a couple of times before it "took".

2) What filenames are you giving your screensavers. See my post in another thread... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...72#post1879472

Good luck
Eightweight,
Yes I did set mntroot rw and also checked the link to ensure that it was pointing at my new screensavers directory. I might try this linking with a few more variations.

I have got the screensavers working albeit in a fairly permanent fashion - I simply renamed the 600x800 folder
#Created a new 600x800 directory
mkdir /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
#Then simply copied my screensaver images to the newly created directory
cp /mnt/us/screensavers/* /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

This works ok but as I can't get the link to work (yet!) this requires you to use usbnet and ssh to change the screensavers. Not optimal but I'll live with it if nothing else works.

As for the filenames of the images I am using jpg, greyscale with no specific format of name and they work fine.

Cheers
eGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #325
kubbur
kubbur began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 nontouch nonkeyboard
i think that we should move all hacking discussion about the kindle 4th gen non-touch version to this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1882026
kubbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #326
rayg47
rayg47 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
I've installed the jailbreak. No problems there. Was curious, how do you install Lu's screensaver mod? I downloaded the file, but wasn't sure how to proceed. Thanks.
rayg47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #327
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
Read the file named readme in the zip you downloaded it gives some very easy to understand instructions
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #328
EightWeight
Enthusiast

Audio files found on K4 ntSO

As I was browsing through my K4 ntSO the other day I stumbled upon a directory with some audio files in it. There are also asound files in /etc. WTF?

Is that a mod worth looking into?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #329
FuzzyPuffin
FuzzyPuffin began at the beginning.

Device: Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishur View Post
Read the file named readme in the zip you downloaded it gives some very easy to understand instructions
Maybe I'm being dumb, but I found the instructions to be incomplete. They just tell you how to name your images, not how to actually run the installer.
FuzzyPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #330
rayg47
rayg47 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Same here Fuzzy. I may be overlooking myself, but I wasn't exactly sure how to run the mod reading the instructions. It just seemed to describe how to name the images. How do we actually install the mod? Thanks.
rayg47 is offline   Reply With Quote