Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
bitemeok
Connoisseur
bitemeok began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Can someone recommend a good, online PDF primer

Hi,

I recently purchased a PDF from Kobo books that did have OCR applied to it and was pretty much unreadable on my ebook reader because the fonts weren't scalable and there was no reflow for the text. I complained and they keep insisting that all PDFs are this way and that what they're selling is no different from what anyone else is selling. My favorite response from them was when I suggested the publisher should apply OCR to the file and they responded that "a PDF with OCR applied would be an epub file, and that's not what we're selling." I find this infuriating not because they won't give me a refund or anything--I would have been fine with that--but because they act like there's nothing that could be done to the file to make he ebook friendly and that I was crazy to suggest otherwise.

So could someone recommend an online primer or FAQ that would explain to these people who sell PDFs the difference between an OCR'd PDF and one that is just a series of page images.

Max
bitemeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Hmph. This is probably a copy-paste countermeasure so no one would "steal" their stuff. It's pathetic, really. You can't highlight text and you can't use the search function. They call it an e-book but it's no better than a regular book.

What they don't realise is that stealing is easy. Heck, print screen is faster than scanning. If someone really wants to, they will.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert