Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Phil Clark
Phil Clark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Converting from PDF to Kindle format

I have various articles (of mine!) which are PDFs and I would like to use the Calibre software to convert these to a format which can easily be read on my Kindle.

The PDFs which I created myself by scanning the articles convert without a problem. However, the problem comes with PDFs supplied by the publisher. For the created files the result is complete mayhem! It seems that the converter is not recognising the double columns of text on each page or Tables, etc.

I am completely new to using Calibre and I have not managed to find anything online which obviously refers to this issue. Can anyone help, please?

Many thanks in advance.
Phil Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Heya, welcome to MR.

I am no expert with PDF conversion - there are a ton of people who can help for sure though, including using the excellent calibre.

One other thing to try though - which Kindle do you have? You can use the free Kindle email conversion service to convert a variety of non-DRM'd formats to the AZW/mobi format Kindle uses.

insert your Kindle/Amazon email account username here@free.kindle.com

Subject: conversion

Attach the PDF and email it. Amazon will autoconvert and email you back to the account have registered with them.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
multi-column isn't supported, read here for more general info on pdf:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Phil Clark

Hello Lestatar

Thank you for your comments. I am using what I believe is that latest Kindle (bought November last year) - not the 3G version, though.

I have tried using the free Kindle file conversion service but in every case the file that came back had the first page of the article omitted: I did raise the issue with Amazon but got no response.

A problem is that I am visually disabled and therefore I can find it difficult to work around websites when the text is not a good colour to contrast with the background. However, after searching the online "help" for Calibre I found nothing that seemed to relate to this problem: and there seems to be no link to contact Calibre themselves for assistance.

Phil Clark
Old 08-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Ah, gotcha. Well, I think Idolse has answered the question for you, perhaps unfortunately in the negative for your uses.

Stick around though - pretty sure more folks will chime in...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Phil Clark

Yes, Idolse posted his reply just as I was composing my response to you, Lestatar.

I have just finished reading the link which he posted. Yes, it is bad news but I will see what other comments may - or may not - be posted here.

At least I now know that I was not doing anything stupid!

Phil Clark