Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
New Kindle iOS app includes free German dictionary

As soon as you select a word in a German language book you are presented with an option to download the Duden German-German dictionary.

This corresponds with the recent launch of amazon's full Germany kindle service. There are also lots more German language books in the UK amazon store at similar prices to amazon.de.

So far I have not been able to get the Duden dictionary onto my Kindle, but I assume this will be pushed out in the next update. I hope so!
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Hmmm, the dictionary appears in my Manage my Kindle list, but I cannot deliver it to my Kindle - the option remains greyed out. How odd!
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2
This is really great
especially all the new german ebooks you get now for free.
I just downloaded the duden on my android phone with the kindle app. I hoped that it would work now on my kindle as well, but it won't open there (...is licensed to a different user...) so either amazon creates a single pid for each device or it works completely different
stehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
DanielS
DanielS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric View Post
As soon as you select a word in a German language book you are presented with an option to download the Duden German-German dictionary.

This corresponds with the recent launch of amazon's full Germany kindle service. There are also lots more German language books in the UK amazon store at similar prices to amazon.de.

So far I have not been able to get the Duden dictionary onto my Kindle, but I assume this will be pushed out in the next update. I hope so!
This thread is a year old... It still works. But... is there a way to make it work on the regular Kindle too? People in this thread say that "it appears greyed out" or that it won't open - I don't even see it on my regular Kindle. I also don't see the book in the Kindle store... Not sure what I down;oaded, but on my iPhone it works great
DanielS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
it is in your archive and you can download it to your kindle
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
manou
Grand Seamstress
manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
It is definitely not in my archive. I downloaded it on the Kindle for the iPad app, but there is no option to get it onto my Kindle, I have exactly the same problem as DanielS.
manou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by manou View Post
It is definitely not in my archive. I downloaded it on the Kindle for the iPad app, but there is no option to get it onto my Kindle, I have exactly the same problem as DanielS.
I know my Duden, and everywhich free other dictionary is in my archive. I seen it in archived items in the KT. If I look in my Kindle for android app it is not visible in the archive. I have however the option to download the dictionary to my app by looking up a word within a open book, go to options, select german - and it asks/offers to download the free dictionary.

As for just copying it from one device to another, that won't work as all dictionaries (even though they are free to download) do have amazons drm applied which is linked to the specific device.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
manou
Grand Seamstress
manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.manou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My problem is, that I can't see it in archived items on my KK, thus I can't put it onto my Kindle.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
My problem is, that I can't see it in archived items on my KK, thus I can't put it onto my Kindle.
look at first post - op uses the workaround to look up a word in a (german?) book to make his k3 (that the same as kk? think so) download the dictionary. not sure if you can switch language yourself or if the KK decides by language of book.

edit: and i had to do same in android app, except android lets you switch language inside book - eg look up a german word in a english book. I think the devices that use the dictionary only for lookup of words don't show it in archive. on the KT you can "read" nhe dictionary at least by choosing full definition which opens the dictionary at that word.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 11-12-2012 at 08:23 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
manou
Grand Seamstress

Nope, trying to look up the word on my KK doesn't work either. I was only able to get this dictionary to work on my iPad, but not on my Kindle.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
DanielS
DanielS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
THANKS!!!

Interestingly, while it was not in my archive as I access it from the Kindle itself, it DID appear online under "manage my Kindle", as if I had purchased it. And it works like a train.
DanielS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
manou
Grand Seamstress

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielS View Post
THANKS!!!

Interestingly, while it was not in my archive as I access it from the Kindle itself, it DID appear online under "manage my Kindle", as if I had purchased it. And it works like a train.
Strange, I checked and checked again, it doesn't exist in my archive, while it works a treat on my iPad. I have the sneaky suspicion that might be one of Amazon's 'penalties' for living in Hong Kong and thus having to use the Asia-Pacific store.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #13
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Another way on the ipad is for instance to open a book in the wanted foreign language and search the definition for a word in it. The app then asks wether you want to download the corresponding dictionary. Answer yes, and the dictionary is then downladed.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 AM   #14
manou
Grand Seamstress

Done that successfully, still don't have the dictionary in my archive (I did search up and down several times), thus can't put it onto my Kindle where I do the majority of my reading
It's probably about time to give up on the idea of having a German dictionary on my KK.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
It's probably about time to give up on the idea of having a German dictionary on my KK.
You could theoretically deDRM the Duden dictionary downloaded by a Kindle app and simply copy it to your Kindle. Of course, this would be technically illegal.

Or you could install the free German-English dictionary from Michael Sheldon's website on your Kindle. It contains a lot of entries, but doesn't support inflections.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote