Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Greenhat
Enthusiast
Greenhat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Angry Do you think that Kobo would soon fix their crippled built in dictionary?

A lot of people here are claiming that the built in dictionary cannot read plural words.
When Kobo would fix their crippled built in dictionary?
Greenhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Who knows?

... I'm sorry to be pithy, but you come across as quite angry, and I'm not sure why? The dictionary is part of a very new firmware released and is obviously not optimal just yet, but it's pleasing that the Kobo team continues to support users of the original device in this manner. The Kobo is a great device for its price, but if the dictionary is very important to you though, I can't recommend that you buy a Kobo, since there's also the issue that it doesn't work on sideloaded EPUBs just yet.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Greenhat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Who knows?

... I'm sorry to be pithy, but you come across as quite angry, and I'm not sure why? The dictionary is part of a very new firmware released and is obviously not optimal just yet, but it's pleasing that the Kobo team continues to support users of the original device in this manner. The Kobo is a great device for its price, but if the dictionary is very important to you though, I can't recommend that you buy a Kobo, since there's also the issue that it doesn't work on sideloaded EPUBs just yet.
I was angry because no one of their sites or user guide inform buyer that this machine contains a crippled dictionary function !
I was about to buy it but thanks to mobileread members here who had informed me in time.
it bugs me a lot that you cannot return the device ! even with this huge flaw.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhat View Post
I was angry because no one of their sites or user guide inform buyer that this machine contains a crippled dictionary function !
I was about to buy it but thanks to mobileread members here who had informed me in time.
Lucky for you that you did your foot work and realized it is not the device for you. Perhaps another device would be more to your liking.

I would suggest tht you not buy any device with the expectaion that a feature that you want or want to have improved will be done by a firmware.

If the dictionary is important to you look elswhere.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Greenhat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
Lucky for you that you did your foot work and realized it is not the device for you. Perhaps another device would be more to your liking.

I would suggest tht you not buy any device with the expectaion that a feature that you want or want to have improved will be done by a firmware.

If the dictionary is important to you look elswhere.
I have two options, looking elsewhere or waiting to see if Kobo staff would correct their dictionary.
My money is still in my pocket, I am free to gather information before shopping, since sellers are free to brag their their products.
Sorry to offend your feeling. It was not intended, though.
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I'm not at all concerned about a dictionary but I suspect given enough time Kobo will enrich the dictionary functionality.

Quote:
Do Kobo inform the buyer that the device even has a dictionary? I don't see it advertised on the Kobo site. I know when I bought my original Kobo it wasn't an advertised feature which considering it didn't have the feature is a good thing*.

There is a 30 day money back guarantee on the Kobo so if you did buy the device with the expectation of a full-featured dictionary you could return it.

*: They have advertised features before (or said coming soon) which took 8 months to deliver so if they did or do advertise the dictionary feature then I can fully understand your frustration.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Greenhat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
I'm not at all concerned about a dictionary but I suspect given enough time Kobo will enrich the dictionary functionality.

Do Kobo inform the buyer that the device even has a dictionary? I don't see it advertised on the Kobo site. I know when I bought my original Kobo it wasn't an advertised feature which considering it didn't have the feature is a good thing*.

There is a 30 day money back guarantee on the Kobo so if you did buy the device with the expectation of a full-featured dictionary you could return it.

*: They have advertised features before (or said coming soon) which took 8 months to deliver so if they did or do advertise the dictionary feature then I can fully understand your frustration.
I copy past my former text here :
no one of their sites or user guide inform buyer that this machine contains a crippled dictionary function !
Old 12-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Yes and my question is do they inform the buyer of any dictionary function at all, whether crimpled or not?

If they don't advertise it at all then gripping about a feature they haven't really claimed to really support seems a bit premature.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
People interested in this could try a PM to JCKobo. I don't know that Kobo staff would be around on weekends.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Greenhat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
People interested in this could try a PM to JCKobo. I don't know that Kobo staff would be around on weekends.
I think that Kobo staff are aware of that.
When I have first read your posts here I thought you belong to kobo staff too lol
Old 12-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope--I was part of the beta team, but mostly just a Kobo owner. I am sure they are aware of the current limitations, but I thought you asked about future plans--Jordan (JCKobo) should know the answer to that.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
Greenhat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Nope--I was part of the beta team, but mostly just a Kobo owner. I am sure they are aware of the current limitations, but I thought you asked about future plans--Jordan (JCKobo) should know the answer to that.
Yep, I asked about their future plans.
What does it mean beta team? do you mean you worked with them in their office to test kobo readers??
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Quote:
I have two options, looking elsewhere or waiting to see if Kobo staff would correct their dictionary.
My money is still in my pocket, I am free to gather information before shopping, since sellers are free to brag their their products.
Sorry to offend your feeling. It was not intended, though.
YOu didnt offend me at all. I think though that since the new firmware (1.8) is brand new adn that the wifi kobo is only a few months old that you should not buy a kobo if the dictionary is important to you and does not meet your needs as it currently is. I doubt that it will be expanded in the very near future.

so I wa applauding your forsight to investigate the product that you are interested in.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I learned the hard way--not with Kobo, but with my cell phone--to not buy technology based on what *might* happen in the future.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #15
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I learned the hard way--not with Kobo, but with my cell phone--to not buy technology based on what *might* happen in the future.
You didn't buy a Samsung Instinct on the Bell Nrtwork did you?

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote