Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Whispersync question

Hi thinking of buying a Kindle to compliment my main reader (iPad)

My books mostly epub and drm free will be converted to mobi(I believe that is the best option?) and then loaded onto my kindle.

Not having used kindle on iPad can I then put that same book onto the iPad kindle app and use whisper sync across the two devices?

Or does it only work with books bought from amazon?

Thanks
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #2
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
can I then put that same book onto the iPad kindle app and use whisper sync across the two devices? Or does it only work with books bought from amazon?
You can only sync books you've bought from Amazon across the devices.

But if all your books are in ePub, why not just buy a reader that can read it natively (without the need to convert) like Kobo/Nook/Sony?
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Well the idea that it could whispersync with the same book on my ipad would have been a main selling point!

I have had sony prs 505 and 300 in the past.

so without the whispersync on ALL books teh kindle does become less interesting however... isnt it still the best reader at the sub £150 price point?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
My books mostly epub and drm free will be converted to mobi(I believe that is the best option?) and then loaded onto my kindle.
If you do go ahead with buying a Kindle, then yes, converting to .mobi is the best option for reading them on the Kindle.

Quote:
so without the whispersync on ALL books teh kindle does become less interesting however... isnt it still the best reader at the sub £150 price point?
That's really a question only you can answer, I'm afraid. Just depends on what is most important to you.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard

yeh I just cant decide to go sony or Kindle.

Have always been very happy with the Sony so may pop into waterstones and get one....

Thanks.
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Barneyabz
Enthusiast
Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.Barneyabz for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo Glo and Kindle 3
I have always liked the Sonys but switched to Kindle due to price £109 v £199 for the same 6 inch screen. Also don't like the idea of a touch screen due to finger prints. The Kindle has handled all my books fine. I use calibre to convert them to mobi - no probelms at all.

Cheers

Barney
Barneyabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyabz View Post
I use calibre to convert them to mobi - no probelms at all.
And if you've set up Calibre, you can manually send them over wi-fi for free (right-click each ebook in Calibre --> "Connect/share" --> "Email to <yourname>@free.kindle.com"). Calibre will *automatically* send new news, but I don't think it will for books.

- Set up Calibre in Preferences --> Sharing books by email. Easiest to use the hotmail or gmail buttons on the right if you have either of those e-mail accounts. Set e-mail to <yourkindleusername>@free.kindle.com> to get no charge wi-fi delivery. Select MOBI and check or uncheck "Auto send" for automatic delivery (you'd check it if you ever intend to read Calibre-generated newspapers or magazines). Make sure your Kindle's wireless is turned on whenever you send mobi ebooks in Calibre.
- If a 3G Kindle, Set up Amazon to have a 3G personal document charge limit of $0.00 so you don't accidentally get a charge when you're not in wi-fi range (unless you don't mind the charge).

Automatic e-mail delivery would be best: convert your ebook et voila, it's on your Kindle. But it looks like Calibre only does this for news (see description in Calibre Preferences --> Sharing books by email). You can maybe ask Kovid if there's a way to make Calibre automatically send any new mobi content (not just newspapers and magazines).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
Well I was debating the same thing when I got my kindle. I didn't know which device to get so I mapped out what I wanted an e-reader for:
-e-ink display (LCD hurts my eyes)
-Cheap (within reason... i'd say 200 or below)
-Battery Life (small factor, but i don't want to worry about recharging during long trips)
-support/users (Kindle has a HUGE userbase. I would argue that it's larger than any other ebook reader. Because of the userbase, the support that the company would provide would be, in principle but not always the case, better)

I mainly wanted an ebook reader for novels (not journals or periodicals or children's books) so I felt the kindle 3 was the best for me.

It has the e-ink pearl display (although sony has one now too). It was cheap (cheaper than sony). The battery life was advertised to be a month! I've never heard of any electronic lasting a month! so that was a definite plus. Kindles have a huge userbase (as evident from this forum). Support is awesome (I got my first kindle replaced VERY easily).

Sony has those cool new touchscreen things now. Personally, I don't have a use/need for one so if that's what you're looking for, that's one thing (that i can point out off the top of my head) that sony has over the kindle.

That's what i went through in my decision-making. Hope that helps.

Also Kindles seem to have some level of inconsistency in screen quality (contrast) and build. This could be due to bad manufacturing/lack of good quality control or due to the large volume of kindles that are shipped out/created.

But not to stray from the original point, whispersync is a really great service.

Kindles don't natively support epub (unless you jailbreak and do stuff to it, i don't know if you're willing to tinker around with your device). However, converting through calibre is really fast and easy.

Last edited by WalkingDistance; 12-15-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: wrong information about whispersync.
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
WhisperSync CAN sync converted ebooks between your devices. There's a way to do it. PM me for a step-by-step guide if you do buy a Kindle.

The book has to be available on the Amazon web site, but doesn't have to be bought from there.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Oh ok i'm sorry for giving wrong information. Okay! I'll edit my post and PM you.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
stustaff
Wizard

Thanks all in the end I went for the Sony 350.

Main reasons being-

I have great eyesight and small pockets so smaller physical reader is preferred.
Cost of Sony at 150 with VAT back currently means about 20 back so at 130 is competitive with kindle.
Sony build quality is excellent.
My books are in epub.
I liked the touch navigation when I had a play this afternoon.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur

nice choice. I feel like you'll be happy with whatever you choose

Let me know what you think of it when you get it. I haven't actually played with one in-person.