Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
Aybara
Aybara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Removing the Stock Soft Cover

OK, I've twisted, turned, pulled, pushed, etc, but I cannot figure out how to get the cover off.

Granted I am not forcing anything for fear of breaking it.

Someone explain to me how to remove the cover please?
Aybara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You'll hear a noise that will sound horrible.......BUT...

...everything will be fine.

Here's what I do: Reach as far under the cover with one of your fingers, and just pull - slowly - away from the reader. The covers are joined at about 4 (?) places on the Reader. As each one comes off, you'll hear this horrible sound. But everything will be fine.

The first one to come off is probably the one that is the "hardest," in that once you "remove" it from the Reader, there are only about 3 (?) left. Keep in mind these "grippers" really do work.

You should do this while sitting on the couch, so that if you drop the Reader, then there's not a far place for anythng to fall.

It's really easy....but I also remember my horror upon hearing that sound as the plastic hinge lets go of the Reader.

I hope this helps.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Aybara
Aybara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Talking

Wow, that is a horrid sound.

I figured it would be something easy. Guess the cover won't fall off easy unless the teeth break. Thanks!
Aybara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Just remember that when (and if) you replace the cover to put the Reader screen side down on a flat surface and put the cover on from the back. Do not press on the glass/plastic screen as it takes a bit of force to reattach all of the "grippers".
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
Yaksha
Yaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litterYaksha doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
I really wish there was an easier way to take it off and put it back on. I prefer reading without it. But I'm afraid I'm eventually going to strip the grippers. Then I'll probably have to rely in a rubber band to keep the cover on.
Yaksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
This just shows that there are most definitely different strokes for different folks.

I love holding it with the cover on, folded back out of the way. I much prefer the feeling of the soft inside of the cover to the hard metal of the reader itself.

If you're going to read it all the time without the cover, you might want to check out the threads in the Accessories sections and look into a different case to keep the reader in so you don't have to constantly be removing and reattaching the cover which came with the reader.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Look into the accessories thread for The Pouch, they have a direct link to it. I have the one that fits the Reader with the cover, they manufacture these Pouches to order, so you can definitely get one fitted for the Reader without the cover. Its made of neoprene, and the front flap has a hard material to protect the screen. Good luck.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaksha
I really wish there was an easier way to take it off and put it back on. I prefer reading without it. But I'm afraid I'm eventually going to strip the grippers. Then I'll probably have to rely in a rubber band to keep the cover on.
I'm removing and putting back the cover almost every day, it still works just fine.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
After all these months or reading with the cover folded back I tried the naked reading approach and it felt strange. Almost obscene. The cover is back on the Reader now and the reading comfort level has returned to normal.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote