Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
600 or Kindle 2 with lower price????

Now that Amazon has reduced the price of the Kindle 2 to $259, would you still choose the Touch Edition given the price difference? Personally, wireless is not very important to me, but the ability to read ebooks from my library is important. To me, the 600 wins out. I'm just curious how the rest of the community feels.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
mmariep2
mmariep2 began at the beginning.

Device: K2 / Sony PRS-600
As an owner of both the K2 and the 600, I would most definitely go with the 600. While I do love the K2 (maybe because it was my first ereader), I prefer the 600 for various reasons: bigger screen, touch screen, wider variety of formats, smaller form, etc. After using my 600 for a few weeks now, I also notice that the surface area of the K2 just seems like wasted space and bothers me a little bit. So, for me, product over price.
mmariep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Just my own personal opinion, but I wouldn't buy a Kindle if they slashed the price to $59 for two reasons-- The ginormous keyboard and buttons (the damn thing is overall twice the size of the screen) and the fact that Amazon keeps it's fingers in your files.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
That definitely makes the choice harder, particularly since I now know how badly the eBook Library software sucks, but file format support was the main reason I chose the 600.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
For me the decision was on note-taking ability and on that basis the Sony is superior in its ability to handle handwriting in addition to text based notes and highlighting. If I didn't need the notetaking I wouldn't get either and would probably stick with my Cybook Gen3 or with a new Sony 300 for pure reading enjoyment.

I concur with the overall negatives of the Kindle2 being disfunctional and unattractive form factor and the Amazon link to and ability to manipulate your device through Whispernet. The Whispernet seems to be a big draw for some people but the whole point of the device was so that I could load everything I wanted onto it and therefore never have a book "emergency" where I needed to download something without access to a computer.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmariep2 View Post
As an owner of both the K2 and the 600, I would most definitely go with the 600. While I do love the K2 (maybe because it was my first ereader), I prefer the 600 for various reasons: bigger screen, ...
Bigger screen? The Kindle 2 and the Sony PRS-600 have exactly the same screen, made on the same production line in the same factory by the same manufacturer - PVI in Taiwan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bigger screen? The Kindle 2 and the Sony PRS-600 have exactly the same screen, made on the same production line in the same factory by the same manufacturer - PVI in Taiwan.
...or LG (in Korea I guess?).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmariep2 View Post
I prefer the 600 for various reasons: bigger screen, touch screen, wider variety of formats, smaller form, etc. After using my 600 for a few weeks now, I also notice that the surface area of the K2 just seems like wasted space and bothers me a little bit.
Quote:
He may refers to the usable screen space, as the kindles do have big margins.

And bigger margins surrounded by a bigger bezel do make for an "optically" smaller screen, like in this picture :

Last edited by Faenad; 10-07-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
As for the price drops, it would not make me change my choice of device. If you are shopping for a reader right now, you are likely to be an heavy reader. If you are gonna stare at your ebook reader for hundreds of hours, getting the better reader for your needs is more important than saving $40.

But we should all be thankful to Amazon for playing the price game. With some luck it will push the other brands to reduce their prices soon.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
SchalaZeal
SchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura aboutSchalaZeal has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Smile Amazon's software pricing

Quote:
But we should all be thankful to Amazon for playing the price game. With some luck it will push the other brands to reduce their prices soon.
Amen to that. And ESPECIALLY with regards to their pricing on books themselves...There is still a very dissapointing margin between Amazon's ebook prices and most other retailers'. Kudos to Amazon for not treating the hardcopy price as the "list price" for the ebook version.

Last edited by SchalaZeal; 10-08-2009 at 06:43 AM.
SchalaZeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
It's an illusion; because the K2 is so big with all that wasted space and keyboard, my PRS-505 screen looks bigger. People are always asking me what size are the screens when they see both of them. When I tell them both are 6 inches, they always say the K2 screen looks smaller.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
I would say you have to decide what your motivating factor is,price,form factor,features etc.I would still choose the device that I felt was best suited to my needs.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote