Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #23206
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
gran you can have one of mine for that.

wannabee, it's proven that the best typists ARE older semesters - the reason for it is simple: there is no corrective liquid for mistyping a punch hole card.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #23207
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
gran you can have one of mine for that.

wannabee, it's proven that the best typists ARE older semesters - the reason for it is simple: there is no corrective liquid for mistyping a punch hole card.
+50.

Amen, brother.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #23208
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I seem to recall though that there was a means to duplicate a card (and stop at where you had made the mistake) on the 029 keypunch machine.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #23209
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I seem to recall though that there was a means to duplicate a card (and stop at where you had made the mistake) on the 029 keypunch machine.
WHAT? I can't hear you! This keypunch machine is making too much noise!

Oh great! Now look what you made me do! I've dropped my card stack!

Oh the memories .....

I also ran the machine that punched the paper tape reels too ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #23210
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Did someone post something derogatory about older folks? I can't see it. It's right where I deleted a previous post. Behind the big, white spot.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #23211
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
You young whippersnappers, git off my lawn!!!

desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #23212
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
WHAT? I can't hear you! This keypunch machine is making too much noise!

Oh great! Now look what you made me do! I've dropped my card stack!

Oh the memories .....

I also ran the machine that punched the paper tape reels too ...
You mean there were no diagonal lines on the side of the card deck!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #23213
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
It really is the least of my worries right now but it is extremely annoying how disappointing my Kobo Mini is. I'm going to have to send it back. I factory reset it several time and it is still giving me network error messages when I try to sync and having other issues. My Kobo WiFi is doing fine, though, so there is that.

Other than that, my anxiety/panic disorder has been pretty bad lately. I've been freaking out over house issues, family issues, stuff I (may have) said years ago, etc. It was so bad it impaired my enjoyment of Renfaire yesterday.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #23214
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
My ex was an “Executive Secretary” and was proficient in the operation of the “IBM Executive Typewriter”. The IBM Executive was a variable pitch typewriter, meaning that the various letters were a different number of picas wide. Capital “M” being the widest and lower case “i” being the narrowest. There were also several widths of spaces so that the typist could calculate how many picas were needed for each line to be fully justified. Basically a typesetting typewriter that could make a one off letter look like a typeset printed book. All this at 120 WPM with zero errors, as erasures and whiteout were forbidden, as were hyphens.

Watching her type on the thing was mind boggling; she would pre-calculate exactly which width spaces had to be inserted where in a line in order to make the line the proper length… on the fly. When asked how she did it, she couldn’t tell you, she would say she just “knew”. She knew the theory, but couldn’t tell you how she executed it.

It was one of those skills that technology has made obsolete, but demonstrated the power of the human mind, especially on a subconscious level; kind of like basic arithmetic or remembering a friends phone number!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #23215
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
My ex was an “Executive Secretary” and was proficient in the operation of the “IBM Executive Typewriter”. The IBM Executive was a variable pitch typewriter, meaning that the various letters were a different number of picas wide. Capital “M” being the widest and lower case “i” being the narrowest. There were also several widths of spaces so that the typist could calculate how many picas were needed for each line to be fully justified. Basically a typesetting typewriter that could make a one off letter look like a typeset printed book. All this at 120 WPM with zero errors, as erasures and whiteout were forbidden, as were hyphens.

Watching her type on the thing was mind boggling; she would pre-calculate exactly which width spaces had to be inserted where in a line in order to make the line the proper length… on the fly. When asked how she did it, she couldn’t tell you, she would say she just “knew”. She knew the theory, but couldn’t tell you how she executed it.

It was one of those skills that technology has made obsolete, but demonstrated the power of the human mind, especially on a subconscious level; kind of like basic arithmetic or remembering a friends phone number!
We are truly spoiled, in many ways, when it comes to using our minds.

Computers now do our thinking for us....not in everything, and yes you must learn the language, but still.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #23216
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
For the last NASA launch from the Wallops facility in Virginia -- an ISS resupply mission -- we had a great view here in central NJ. I wished I'd brought a camera.

For tonight's launch I did bring a camera. Not much, just one of those "Flip Cam" look-alikes, but still, I was ready. But for some reason, we couldn't see it. Friends near Philadelphia saw it, but no luck here. I wonder if the trajectory was much different this time around.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #23217
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
For the last NASA launch from the Wallops facility in Virginia -- an ISS resupply mission -- we had a great view here in central NJ. I wished I'd brought a camera.

For tonight's launch I did bring a camera. Not much, just one of those "Flip Cam" look-alikes, but still, I was ready. But for some reason, we couldn't see it. Friends near Philadelphia saw it, but no luck here. I wonder if the trajectory was much different this time around.
Crap! I had my new iPad Air in my hands as I was watching the fireball head into the heavens. I should have snapped a shot!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #23218
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
For the last NASA launch from the Wallops facility in Virginia....
Heck, I just now realized I was in the Vent and Rant thread and you weren't responding to what I posted minutes ago in the "What 'cha doin' NOW" thread.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #23219
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've finally figured out which printer I want (Brother MFC-J4510DW) only to find it's out of stock everywhere.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #23220
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I've finally figured out which printer I want (Brother MFC-J4510DW) only to find it's out of stock everywhere.
My better half decided to get me a Surface Pro 2 for my birthday. Now ask me--ask me--if we can find the one I need (remember: birthday or not, it's for my business)--anywhere. Online, in stores, anywhere.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, of course not.

</rant>

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness