Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: iPad mini retina or regular iPad?
Definitely the iPad Mini retina 34 56.67%
Definitely the regular iPad 26 43.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #61
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Yes, everyone has different priorities. I couldn't care less about expanded local storage in this cloud era. 16 GB is perfectly enough for me. Especially because I own and daily use 3 tablets + the phone, so expanded local storage would be useless for me. I need some central storage space (in the cloud) from which I can download whatever I need to any of my handheld devices or regular computers on demand.
Aside from commercial cloud services (Dropbox, SugarSync, etc), I also have a 12TB central file server at home, and a Kingston Wi-Drive and Patriot Gauntlet Node on the go. Still not good enough. For stuff that can't be streamed, transfer time over wifi is quite annoying. Until we can get 1 Gbit wifi throughput, I'm sticking to large local storage (internal for iPhone/iPad and Nexus; microSD cards for my other Android devices).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #62
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
I have no problem with WiFi transfer times, not even for the largest files I use (movies, can easily be around 2 GB). I prefer to wait a couple of minutes for such an exceptional large-file transfer to complete, over the hassle of needlessly keeping multiple copies of the same files on various devices, having to keep them in sync manually, etc. No, sir, not for me.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #63
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I plan to buy the iPad Air in Space Gray. I think the Silver has a much more pleasant appearance, but it has that white bezel that will soon show dirt and age.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #64
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have no problem with WiFi transfer times, not even for the largest files I use (movies, can easily be around 2 GB). I prefer to wait a couple of minutes for such an exceptional large-file transfer to complete, over the hassle of needlessly keeping multiple copies of the same files on various devices, having to keep them in sync manually, etc. No, sir, not for me.
Yes, well, I tend to do 10-20GB syncs so that's usually something I leave my iPad doing overnight while charging. ComicGlass just syncs everything inside a specified folder on my PC so it's not like keeping my iPads in sync is a major hardship. A once a week sync while I'm sleeping is much better for me than being interrupted in the middle of marathon manga reading sessions because I have to wait to download the next volume over 8-16 Mb/s wi-fi.

Content management is actually easier on Android tablets with a microSD card slot. Whenever the current tablet I'm using needs charging, I just take out the microSD card, put it in a new tablet and I'm good to go.

That said, I prefer ComicGlass to Perfect Viewer and Marvin to Mantano, not to mention the 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPad so I can't quite make the switch to Android. Hence, my dilemma of $729 ($795 w/tax) iPad 4 128GB LTE vs $929 ($1,013 w/tax) iPad Air 128GB LTE. Another thing that shifts into the iPad 4's favor, I'm hoping the refurb iPads would still have iOS 6 on them. Really not a fan of the typography on iOS 7 so I'd be happy if I can avoid that.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-24-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:46 AM   #65
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I just spotted the 128gb sizes, and the Air is only £40 more than the mini. I can't quite afford it right now but I really want to see these two in a store.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #66
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing I was hoping for the new iPad was a body that would be easier to grip. All of the iPads I've seen have surfaces that couldn't be slicker if they were greased. It doesn't matter so much if you use one in a cover as I do currently, but I'd like to get away from that and use a sleeve instead. Using a device that weighs only sixteen ounces in a cover seems to defeat the purpose. A bit of rubberized coating on the back would have been sweet.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #67
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I see now that the Air and the Mini are now tied. Interesting.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #68
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
One thing I was hoping for the new iPad was a body that would be easier to grip. All of the iPads I've seen have surfaces that couldn't be slicker if they were greased. It doesn't matter so much if you use one in a cover as I do currently, but I'd like to get away from that and use a sleeve instead. Using a device that weighs only sixteen ounces in a cover seems to defeat the purpose. A bit of rubberized coating on the back would have been sweet.
So true. That's one thing I really like with my Nexus 7. I use a $5 neoprene sleeve when I need to lug it around and just the bare device in actual use.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #69
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
The trend towards "thinner" devices *is* getting ridiculous. I don't want to curl up with a piece of sheet metal. The tactile experience is important. I will be looking for a softer cover, maybe leather if it's light enough.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #70
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I did an experiment with my mini last night.

I have two covers for my mini, which I change depending of my mood and if I am traveling or not: Poetic Slimline and Moko Case. The 2nd one is a bit heavier but better for watching movies.

Anyway ... I removed the cover and used my mini for about an hour (reading only). I kind of forgot how nice the mini is when holding with one hand and long period of times. However, like other said, the grip was odd, because the side bezels (when using it on portrait) are not big enough.

So going back to the main topic, I think that if I order one, it will be the iPad mini with retina display. Unless the iPad air really feels good on my hands which is something that I can only know once I interact with the device myself.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-24-2013 at 02:51 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #71
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am changing my mind. I could not resist ... and bought the 10 inches iPad air today.

Boy!... the 10 inches iPad air really feels light on my hands. Big change from original iPad and significant change from previous model.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #72
Faterson
pokrıvač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Congrats! Would be my choice, too. But as I already possess the perfectly adequate iPad 3, if I buy an iPad next, it's gonna be the new Retina mini. I would not choose it over a 10-inch Retina iPad, though; I believe it's a must to possess a 10-inch Retina iPad.

(Due to the mini Retina being overpriced as it is, I may never buy it. Anyway, it's not available for now.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #73
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Congrats! Would be my choice, too. But as I already possess the perfectly adequate iPad 3, if I buy an iPad next, it's gonna be the new Retina mini. I would not choose it over a 10-inch Retina iPad, though; I believe it's a must to possess a 10-inch Retina iPad.

(Due to the mini Retina being overpriced as it is, I may never buy it. Anyway, it's not available for now.)
Not to sound cocky, but the Mini's price does not bother me.

The reason why I am still undecided, is because the Mini's portability and light weight.

I mainly use the iPad mini for reading PDF documents (GoodReader app) and occasional browsing.

Or ... keeping both! lol ... and "being brave, being a man" and heard my wife complaining and making comments for a week. She will calm down after that (hopefully, lol)
Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #74
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I ordered a 128 GB iPad Air and that stupid ugly brown Apple Smart Case to go with it. Hope the case is prettier than the pictures. The site said order today, get it Monday, but I had it engraved and don't know if that will affect the shipping. The email didn't specify an arrival date; only that the order "was being processed."
Old 11-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #75
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
I ordered a 128 GB iPad Air and that stupid ugly brown Apple Smart Case to go with it. Hope the case is prettier than the pictures. The site said order today, get it Monday, but I had it engraved and don't know if that will affect the shipping. The email didn't specify an arrival date; only that the order "was being processed."
Can you see the charge on your credit card already?

If you are in a rush, maybe you can cancel and get one from Walmart. Of course, assuming you were not charged already otherwise, you will end buying two. Although if that happens, you can send me the 2nd one as a gift, via FedEx, lol