Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Tyberious Funk
Tyberious Funk began at the beginning.

Device: none
From Kindle Keyboard to...

I've been using my Kindle Keyboard very happily for 2+ years, but unfortunately on a recent holiday something happened to kill the screen. So I'm looking for a replacement. Based on my experience with the KK, plus demoing some models in the shops, I've figured the following;

* I definitely prefer buttons over touch screen

* No interest in 3G. In fact, I barely even use the wireless.

* I hardly ever read in the dark. And I already have a booklight for those rare occasions I do.

* Love devices with a long battery life... it was the real killer feature for me to buy a kindle in the first place

* The KK's storage of 4GB feels "about right". I don't have a huge collection of books, but it's reasonable and it's always growing. I hate having to swap things in-and-out

* I like devices that are reasonably well known and supported... buying a nice cover really helped me transition from reading real books to the KK

* The "ecosystem" doesn't mean much to me... I've been pretty comfortable converting books via Calibre. Though, staying within the Amazon ecosystem probably makes things easier in terms of managing my existing purchased content.

There are a couple of local retailers selling the Kindle 5th Gen at a discount. So I'm tempted to pick one up. It hits several of my marks... but I'm worried about the reduced storage capacity and the battery life.

Before I pull the trigger, are there any devices I should consider?
Tyberious Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
When you say 5th Gen, are you talking about the Paperwhite, or the Kindle Basic (which I believe is the 4th generation). It sounds to me like a Basic would be pretty good for you. It only has 2 GB of storage, though, but I believe that's all the Paperwhite has, too.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Tyberious Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
When you say 5th Gen, are you talking about the Paperwhite, or the Kindle Basic (which I believe is the 4th generation). It sounds to me like a Basic would be pretty good for you. It only has 2 GB of storage, though, but I believe that's all the Paperwhite has, too.
I'm talking about the basic model.

Though... I checked out the PW1 today during my lunch break and was reasonably impressed. I'm assuming the PW2 is "better", but not exactly sure how.

Overall, though, I'm not sure whether the PW2 is worth the extra cash given that I don't really need the ability to read in the dark.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
New Paperwhite doesn't have that constant flash every page.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
Cherry Plum Tree
Cherry Plum Tree has learned how to read e-booksCherry Plum Tree has learned how to read e-booksCherry Plum Tree has learned how to read e-booksCherry Plum Tree has learned how to read e-booksCherry Plum Tree has learned how to read e-booksCherry Plum Tree has learned how to read e-booksCherry Plum Tree has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Does the basic Kindle have physical buttons to turn pages etc? That could be a consideration, if you definitely prefer the feel of 'real' buttons (and I know I do) vs the paperwhite which is basically touch screen only.
The main selling feature of the Paperwhite is the light, so there's probably no point in paying extra for a feature you won't use much.
Cherry Plum Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I agree that if you'd prefer to have physical buttons over the touch screen, then the basic Kindle (Kindle 4) is probably ideal. It does have less storage space, but susan_cassidy is right, so has the Paperwhite, in fact all Kindle's since the KK have went with the 2GB storage.

I am considering upgrading to the Paperwhite from my Kindle Keyboard, but if I have any issues with not liking how the light affects the contrast, I may end up just replacing it with the basic Kindle. If you aren't bothered about touch screen or a light, I don't really think you can beat it.

Other options are to switch to an epub reader with a touch screen but also page turn buttons (and use SD cards for added storage). The Nook Simple Touch is a nice price, if you can still find any after Nook's fire sale of them. For extra cash you can get the very latest Sony models, but although the new T3 is nice and light, it's pretty much the same price as the latest lighted readers Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Aura, and so not really worth the price.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
pwnn
Enthusiast
pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!pwnn rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook Touch
B&N is having yet another sale on the Nook Touch: $59

It's 2+ year old tech so it's a 600 x 800 screen, the equivalent to the Kindle 3 screen but it's still a solid reader. Some people find the raised side slit buttons difficult to press so if you can I'd suggest a hands on try at a store. Their new models are supposedly coming out in the next month but they might or not have side buttons.

Sony's T1 & T2 models should be discounted if you can find them and there are also refurbs. (about $85 at Rakuten and Computer City) The last I read Sony isn't launching the new T3s in the U.S market but that might have changed.

Last edited by pwnn; 10-14-2013 at 09:31 AM.
pwnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I say go with Kindle 4 NT because:

Quote:
* I definitely prefer buttons over touch screen

* No interest in 3G. In fact, I barely even use the wireless.

* I hardly ever read in the dark. And I already have a booklight for those rare occasions I do.
and it's 70$.
What more do you need?
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
If you don't care about a front-light, I'd say the K4/5 or a cheap Sony T1/T2 or a Nook ST. I suggest you avoid the Aura or PW as the screen / font is not as clear as the unlighted screens, and costs more.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Tyberious Funk

I am (or was) quite interested in the Nook ST, particularly at the $59 price point. But to the best of my knowledge, it's not available at any local retailers here in Australia. And strangely, B&N refuse to ship the Nook here... so buying direct isn't possible either.

Pretty stupid, really... but living in Australia, you eventually get used to being shafted by online retailers.

... so at this stage, I suspect I'll stick with a Kindle 5 (non-PW).
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyberious Funk View Post
I am (or was) quite interested in the Nook ST, particularly at the $59 price point. But to the best of my knowledge, it's not available at any local retailers here in Australia.
Just to let you know - you can put "Australia" in your profile so that it shows up in the left sidebar when you post. Makes it easier for us to see where you are and tailor responses accordingly.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
One word of caution about the Nook ST--Even though it has 2GB of storage on board, only 250mb of that is available for user side loaded books. It does have a micro sd slot, so you can expand storage, but I've read that folks have problems with their user created "shelves" disappearing on the sd card--so that might be a problem if you're using the sd card with a lot of books and trying to keep them organized in shelves. (Note--I don't have a nook ST, so have no personal experience with the disappearing "shelf" problem.)
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The answer to most issues with the Nook ST seems to be to root it and install an ereader app like CoolReader on it, as this vastly improves the functionality of it (though not sure if it helps with that disappearing shelves issue). Un-rooted, the Nook ST is nothing to get excited about.

Its a pretty moot point now anyway, as you've discovered Tyberious Funk, everywhere is pretty much sold out of them after they reduced them to such a low price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyberious Funk View Post
... so at this stage, I suspect I'll stick with a Kindle 5 (non-PW).
The Kindle 5 is the now discontinued Kindle Touch. The basic Kindle (the non-touch screen) is the Kindle 4 (also known as Kindle 4NT, Kindle 4S/Kindle 4B). The confusion is because there were two versions released, the first one is the K4S (s for silver), and the following year the updated K4B (b for black) was released at the same time as the Kindle Touch (K5).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I think of my devices past and present, my Kobo Glo is my favorite. It is small, light, evenly lighted, and has an SD card slot.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote