Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #46
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
I know it's not the popular choice with MR members, but I much prefer LibraryThing over GoodReads. I wouldn't necessarily suggest that anyone who has an established GR presence switch over to LT, but if (like OP) you haven't really gotten started I most definitely advice you to check out LibraryThing before making your choice.

I was aware of both options when I decided I wanted some kind of online mechanism for keeping track of my books and finding new things to read. I signed up for GoodReads first because I preferred the visual design of that site to LibraryThing's. After having used GoodReads for a while, I discovered I didn't like the general mechanics of the site, as well as the inability/difficulty to edit book profiles to suit my preference.

I then checked out LibraryThing and it was much more up my alley, and so I never went back to GoodReads.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #47
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Doesn't librarything cost money to add more than "X" number of books? I seem to remember thinking, 'huh, this will last me a year, tops' when I checked them out years ago.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #48
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Doesn't librarything cost money to add more than "X" number of books? I seem to remember thinking, 'huh, this will last me a year, tops' when I checked them out years ago.
Lifetime memberships are $25. Not a deal breaker in my mind. I still use LibraryThing, but lately I've been spending most of my time on Goodreads.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #49
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Lifetime memberships are $25. Not a deal breaker in my mind. I still use LibraryThing, but lately I've been spending most of my time on Goodreads.
Last time I looked, the $25 was a suggestion - and in reality, you could pay what you liked.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #50
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
The $25 might scare off the kids who have 20,000,000 discussions and groups about Twilight. It might be money well spent.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #51
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Goodreads and Librarything are different. If you want to catalog your books Librarything is better. Goodreads is more of a review site.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #52
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Goodreads and Librarything are different. If you want to catalog your books Librarything is better. Goodreads is more of a review site.
And for me, reviewing is essential as I don't remember why I did or did not like a book in 10 years. I need that written word
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #53
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider

Steve, what do you find confusing? Maybe we can help...
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #54
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
And for me, reviewing is essential as I don't remember why I did or did not like a book in 10 years. I need that written word
My problem is all the books I've read over the years pre-Kindle, I just wish there was some way of remembering them all and putting them on Goodreads so I didn't keep re-reading them, never mind remember why I did or didn't like them.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #55
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
My problem is all the books I've read over the years pre-Kindle, I just wish there was some way of remembering them all and putting them on Goodreads so I didn't keep re-reading them, never mind remember why I did or didn't like them.
I never understood people who say that they need a way to remember which books they read so that they don't re-read them. If you don't remember what happened in a book, why would it be a problem to re-read it? Is it just that you feel cheated if you buy it twice?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #56
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I never understood people who say that they need a way to remember which books they read so that they don't re-read them. If you don't remember what happened in a book, why would it be a problem to re-read it? Is it just that you feel cheated if you buy it twice?

Shari
For me, I'll pick up a book not realizing I've read it, then about 1/3 of the way in I've usually read enough to remind me of the rest of the plot.

I do re-read a lot, especially the ones I like. But would rather not waste time nor money on the ones I didn't like the first time around. Not when there are new ones I could have bought that I'd like.

If I liked them, I remember them, but the forgettable ones get away from me sometimes, and a list does help remind me before I pick something up for the second time.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #57
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh, that's when I drove them all off!
It was tough. I had to go down into the basement and find the group "in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'". But I found it. Just try and drive me away.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #58
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post

Shari
I would say usually if you don't remember it it wasn't good enough to spend time re-reading. But sometimes it's the title/author combo you forget.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #59
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I would say usually if you don't remember it it wasn't good enough to spend time re-reading. But sometimes it's the title/author combo you forget.
Oh...I've definitely had times where I forgot the title/author, but reading the blurb and/or sample would jog my memory. It seems I'm the opposite of most people, though...I tend to remember the ones that I really didn't like--but then again, I haven't run into that many over the years that I started and found that I didn't like it. Usually reading the blurb and a few pages would let me know if I will like it or not, and if there's any question, I don't start reading it. The only times I can remember trying to read something that hadn't 100% passed the preview test was when I had absolutely nothing else to read--a couple of times when I was traveling and hadn't brought enough books. I can't see that happening again, now that I have an e-reader. Even if something happens to my Kindle on a trip, I have my phone, tablet, and laptop.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #60
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm the same as DuskyRose in that I'm often 1/3 of the way into a book before I realise that I've read it. However, I mostly only vaguely remember what happens, so sometimes I read on to discover what happens at the end.... It can be annoying though to remember bits and pieces as you read but not everything, and only when you get near the end do you suddenly remember. Then it feels like I've just wasted time on the book when I could have been reading something new!

Other times I'll read the blurb and know straight away that I've read it, but it doesn't happen often enough. On the plus side, I'm not much of a re-reader of books, but I have read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 3 times now (though I did know I had read it previously!). I enjoyed it most the second time I read it because I followed the plot a little better but couldn't really remember any of what happened and the ending was still a surprise. The third time I remembered more again but still only had a fuzzy recollection so it was still enjoyable enough. I might re-read the second and third books at some point too.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote