Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #16
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I think most Sony threads are older. There was a time when Sony was the King, but you know the rhyme about the king is dead, long live the king. The new King is Amazon.
I've noticed that the Kobo forum seems to have safely surpassed Sony as the 2nd most viewed (well behind Amazon of course) whenever I've looked.

Not too surpsing given Sony is selling 'last gen' hardware at current gen prices (I.e. the T2 is the same price as the PaperWhite and Kobo Glo). Sony also isn't even trying with tablets.

Actually a bit scary we may be hurtling toward an Amazon monopoly, given the bad news out of B&N and Sonys obvious slide and Kobo's seemingly abandoning the US market which is a trend setter.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ I thought I saw Sony tablets somewhere, but they may have been Windows RTs...

I wish they made a PW type reader, so I could keep it as a second device for ePub library books.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sony do make quite a range of Android tablets. I haven't used them, so I don't know if they're any good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sony do make quite a range of Android tablets. I haven't used them, so I don't know if they're any good.
The Kindle Fire and Kobo Arc and Nexus 7 all start at ~$200. Sony's tablets start at around double that. As with their ereaders, Sony's can't really compete trying to sell hardware at a decent margin up front, when their competitors are selling at cost and hoping to make money selling content.

Edit -- p.s. looking right now, 'viewers' is 345 Amazon, 187 Kobo, 57 B&N, 50 Sony, yet the Sony forum has a total thread count of +12000 vs. +4000 with Kobo and +3000 with B&N, suggesting Sony used to be much more popular but has lost the momentum it had with early adopters.

I would guess that a year from now we'll be looking at a near Amazon monopoly in the US with B&N a distant second, and Amazon and Kobo as a duopoly in most other markets. Sony's wide retail footprint doesn't matter for much - as it once did - now that ereaders are widely available.

Last edited by stewacide; 01-05-2013 at 05:08 PM.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
The Kindle Fire and Kobo Arc and Nexus 7 all start at ~$200. Sony's tablets start at around double that. As with their ereaders, Sony's can't really compete trying to sell hardware at a decent margin up front, when their competitors are selling at cost and hoping to make money selling content.

Edit -- p.s. looking right now, 'viewers' is 345 Amazon, 187 Kobo, 57 B&N, 50 Sony, yet the Sony forum has a total thread count of +12000 vs. +4000 with Kobo and +3000 with B&N, suggesting Sony used to be much more popular but has lost the momentum it had with early adopters.

I would guess that a year from now we'll be looking at a near Amazon monopoly in the US with B&N a distant second, and Amazon and Kobo as a duopoly in most other markets. Sony's wide retail footprint doesn't matter for much - as it once did - now that ereaders are widely available.
I am reminded of a song.

~Beat the drums slowly, play the pipes lowly, I am Sony and you know I've done wrong.~

The Sony of my day is long gone.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Amazon already have an effective monopoly in the UK market, because we lack the strong second place player which B&N occupy in the US. I don't know what Kobo sales are in the UK, but they've got to be tiny compared to Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Amazon already have an effective monopoly in the UK market, because we lack the strong second place player which B&N occupy in the US. I don't know what Kobo sales are in the UK, but they've got to be tiny compared to Amazon.
In the US they were at 6-8% at the time Rakuten bought them.
There are no signs it has gone up and a few it has gone down.
Any growth among non-Amazon ebook vendors in the US seems to be going to Apple. Apparently at the expense of the other ePub vendors more than Amazon.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #23
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Germany is still split between Bookeen, favored by one book store chain, Trekstor, favored by another, Kindle and Sony and Kobo. I was pleasantly surprised to have found them ALL in electronics stores alongside each other, even saw Pocketbooks there! Last year, all they had were Sonys.

In France, the major electronics store sells Kobos only. I think they have a content deal with Kobo.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Maybe this is going to change with BN's entrance to the market. I also noticed that the Nook iOS app was recently updated to support the main European languages.... Very interesting.....
Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #25
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Chicken View Post
There are currently 155 members and 2030 guests on MobileRead.
I hadn't realized so many lurkers might be reading my posts. Maybe I better start proofreading
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I think most Sony threads are older. There was a time when Sony was the King, but you know the rhyme about the king is dead, long live the king. The new King is Amazon.
When Amazon supports ePub, then maybe. But until then...
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #27
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
I'm not sure either Harry, they are nice machines but plagued with rushed firmware of the month updates, I'd always assumed they were in a reasonable second place here since W H Smiths moved their eBook sales to them. Also the only readers I've seen over here that you can try in a store where the staff actually know about them - might just be the Manchester store where they have clued in staff though

I've seen a fair number of Kobo's in the wild though so they might actually be more popular than we think here (The combination of Smith's and play.com should give them a fairly solid advertising base).
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote