Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I must say, I rather like the pen on my Flyer better than using a finger or keyboard... Not for longer texts (I prefer a keyboard there), but for simply jotting down an address or a small note, I prefer the pen.

I'm even thinking about making a shopping list on my HTC (we do our grocery shopping weekly, and most of the list is repetitive every week) and using my pen to strike through what I already got in my cart (did that once, worked perfectly!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Great idea sweetpea!
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'm even thinking about making a shopping list on my HTC (we do our grocery shopping weekly, and most of the list is repetitive every week) and using my pen to strike through what I already got in my cart (did that once, worked perfectly!)
try Out of Milk.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
That is a good one it's quite popular. I personally use Mighty Grocery.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
I must say, I rather like the pen on my Flyer better than using a finger or keyboard... Not for longer texts (I prefer a keyboard there), but for simply jotting down an address or a small note, I prefer the pen.

I too agree it is a great idea.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #21
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
Not the ability to transcribe like a Windows device, but somewhere to capture a thought, a quick shopping list, a name and phone number, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Oh how I miss my Palm PDAs!
I had a palm and then a hp many years. Very nice. Don't seem to make them anymore. Want you to buy a smartphone and pay over a $100 a month for it.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Those apps can be nice, problem is, they probably aren't pen-enabled... And right now, the pen can only be used in pen-enabled apps. (which is the only reason why I want that Honeycomb upgrade...)
Old 11-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #23
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Those apps can be nice, problem is, they probably aren't pen-enabled... And right now, the pen can only be used in pen-enabled apps. (which is the only reason why I want that Honeycomb upgrade...)
I don't see why the pen couldn't be active in any app. It's just reporting a set of co-ordinates, same as the capacitive touch screen. HTC could have made the device auto-sensing, or even provided a hardware switch to use one or the other.

I wish more tablets had both. The pen is much more accurate. Heck, even the resistive touchscreen on my Pocket Edge is more accurate (requires less area to activate) but isn't multi-touch.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #24
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord

Actually, those list apps don't need the pen to cross them out. Usually a single touch marks them done (in the cart etc.) in some visual way. The best features of the list apps IMO are:

multiple lists: I can have a list per store, or even inrelated lists (ie. vaction packing lists), all in the same app so I know where they are. (I lose paper lists, memos, reminders, sticky notes etc. They fall behind me like snowflakes )

Recurring list items: the list apps keep a database of what's been entered before. I can pick items off a list, rather than re-entering.

Notes can be attached to items: Very important when picking up items for some-one else. Makes the description in the list much smaller, but can be called up when you are at the store and presented with a huge display of similar products with different names, sizes, colours, scents etc.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't see why the pen couldn't be active in any app. It's just reporting a set of co-ordinates, same as the capacitive touch screen. HTC could have made the device auto-sensing, or even provided a hardware switch to use one or the other.

I wish more tablets had both. The pen is much more accurate. Heck, even the resistive touchscreen on my Pocket Edge is more accurate (requires less area to activate) but isn't multi-touch.
Not sure why it isn't enabled in GB, but I know it is enabled in Honeycomb... Right now, if I use the pen, it puts a "layer" over my current application and that layer will be saved as screenshot (very easy to make screenshots by the way!)

And I why I want to use my pen? Because I don't like the keyboard for quick note-taking. Which is when I want to add a non-recurring item on the list.

And also, I want the whole list visible without having to swipe...

And lastly, I want control on how I organize my list. I have it organized by day, not by product or location in a store (we go to two different ones, depending on what we need that week).

(I just started a christmas-list! I always think of these great presents but by the time I'm ready to buy them, I will have forgotten them )
Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #26
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord

Quote:
And I why I want to use my pen? Because I don't like the keyboard for quick note-taking. Which is when I want to add a non-recurring item on the list.
You're preaching to the converted! I have a Pocket Edge with a Wacom Penable layer under the Eink side (no batteries needed in the pen ). I love it for note taking, drawing, etc. I find it too big of a setup for shopping, though. For shopping lists, I use my Ipod with ShopShop (wish I could find an Android version of this). This way I can cross items off with one hand, and have the other free to push the cart, get items off the shelves, pry candy out of my kids' hands etc...

Quote:
And also, I want the whole list visible without having to swipe...
Haven't managed that one yet. My lists are too long.

Quote:
And lastly, I want control on how I organize my list. I have it organized by day, not by product or location in a store (we go to two different ones, depending on what we need that week).
You can do that, many list apps allow you to ignore that sorting "feature", and allow you to manually sort the list anyway you want.

Quote:
(I just started a christmas-list! I always think of these great presents but by the time I'm ready to buy them, I will have forgotten them )
^This is why I've never been without a PDA of some sort for longer than I care to admit
Old 11-07-2011, 03:30 AM   #27
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Haven't managed that one yet. My lists are too long.
Easy

Start with a 7" device, in portrait mode. Create two columns... (in my case, requires a lot of spaces as there appears to be no tab character!)

And voila! One page per list

Quote:
^This is why I've never been without a PDA of some sort for longer than I care to admit
I've had my PDA for ages as well, simply never thought of jotting down my to-buy list in there...

Naturally, the notepad app on my Flyer is much better than any notepad app I had on my PDA...
Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #28
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
My wife and i have Cozi and we love it for our calender,do do list and grocery list and notes, on my phone i have 3 widgets that keep a realtime update of the graocery list,todo list and calender and with one touch i can edit /add/delete it.. and whats nice is itsin synch with my wifes cozi on her iphone, and her laptop her work computer and both our home computers to me its a wonderfull app.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #29
sdawson
sdawson began at the beginning.

Device: none
I use the app Penultimate with my ipad 2 and a stylus and it works nice.
sdawson is offline   Reply With Quote