Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Nice quality control, BEP!

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing misprints a few of the latest design benjamins. Around 1.1 billion of them.

Not to cast aspersions, but one would think that someone might notice the problem within the first, oh, several hundred million bills.

http://theweek.com/article/index/210...-currency-goof

http://www.dailytech.com/US+Governme...ticle20338.htm
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Interesting news, but it would be nice if some info on what you actually want to report was in the topic, or even the first post.

Last edited by LCF; 12-09-2010 at 10:30 AM.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
Interesting news, but it would be nice if some info on what you actually want to report was in the topic, or even the first post.
If you don't understand what I wrote in the first post, then you need to go back to school and learn English.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
The Bureau of Engraving and Printing misprints a few of the latest design benjamins. Around 1.1 billion of them.

Not to cast aspersions, but one would think that someone might notice the problem within the first, oh, several hundred million bills.

http://theweek.com/article/index/210...-currency-goof

http://www.dailytech.com/US+Governme...ticle20338.htm
Quote:
If you don't understand what I wrote in the first post, then you need to go back to school and learn English.
Well, despite my not perfect English I'm going to argue your last post.

1. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing says nothing to me.
2. the word benjamins... well I understand it as benjamins (small figures with the name Benjamin).

So now I have some organization misprinting dolls? Billions of dolls?

I continue reading and now you talk about bills. Then a connection clicks and the name Benjamin Franklin comes to mind. Connecting this with a few dumb movies I have my suspicions and they are confirmed by clicking the links. Not before.

You are actually talking about money printing. Which is probably obvious (from the first post) for any person that knows the meaning of "benjamins", but that is not something you learn in school. At least not in the class room.

I take it we agree on the quantity of information the topic of the topic brings.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
I take it we agree on the quantity of information the topic of the topic brings.
I take it that many if not most threads here have somewhat humorous topic lines and if I told you what you could do with your comment, I'd go on another unscheduled vacation. My posting style isn't going to change, so I suggest you use the "ignore user" option in your control panel. The paucity of your education of major US government institutions and antique English vernacular is not my problem.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Made a quick check of Google News to find news sources that are familiar with an old term for $100 US banknotes.

CNN knows:

http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/07/bad-benjamins/

NPR knows:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-new-100-bills

This one knows (whoever they are)

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/...100-Bills.html

Fox knows:

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/wei...New-$100-Bills

The New York Daily News does:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ions_of_d.html

"Boston.com" knows:

http://www.boston.com/business/artic...0_bill_glitch/
Old 12-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
So the Bureau claims it would take 20 years to sort the 'good' bills from the 'bad' bills? Maybe I'll send this:

Dear FED,
I recently heard of your unfortunate incident involving the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and $100 bills. As a proud American, I'm offering my services to correct the situation. Send a pallet or two of $100 bills to my house; I'd be more than happy to sort through them and send you all the good ones. To keep everything above-board, I must inform you that my error rate may be as high as 1 bill per 500, so I may accidentally retain a few 'good' bills during the process. I'm sure you won't miss them (much...).
Sincerely,
A Concerned Citizen
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
You are actually talking about money printing. Which is probably obvious (from the first post) for any person that knows the meaning of "benjamins", but that is not something you learn in school. At least not in the class room.
And most certainly not everywhere in the world...

(and thanks for clarifing it, LCF!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I didn't get it either, and I live in the US! However, I've gotten used to not having a clue what content links posted here may have, so it really doesn't bother me.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
LCF
Wizard

Quote:
I take it that many if not most threads here have somewhat humorous topic lines and if I told you what you could do with your comment, I'd go on another unscheduled vacation. My posting style isn't going to change, so I suggest you use the "ignore user" option in your control panel. The paucity of your education of major US government institutions and antique English vernacular is not my problem.
You are a very touchy person. Which is not a reason to ignore you. Unless you insist on telling me what to do with my comment.
But you have a point, it *was* posted ind the lounge and not in the news forum, something I overlooked. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I didn't get it either, and I live in the US! However, I've gotten used to not having a clue what content links posted here may have, so it really doesn't bother me.

On topic - is it clearer why the misprint wasn't spotted earlier?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Well, I did put a sufficient description-- it is not my fault that there are people (even in the US) who don't know what the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is. It has only been around for a hundred and forty-eight years.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau_...g_and_Printing
Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Well, I did put a sufficient description-- it is not my fault that there are people (even in the US) who don't know what the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is. It has only been around for a hundred and forty-eight years.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bureau_...g_and_Printing
Oh, I got the BEP part. Didn't get the "benjamins".
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Oh, I got the BEP part. Didn't get the "benjamins".
Ah. Well, the term has been around at least since 1999, according to this online etymology dictionary:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none

the Urban Dictionary entry dates back to 2005:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=benjamins

The movie with the term in the name dates back to 2002 (but was only in 95th place for box office returns for that year.)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...ebenjamins.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slang_t...#United_States