Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-08-2023, 01:57 AM   #1
Krytes
Enthusiast
Krytes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Colour ereader recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations for a color ebook reader. I'll be using it mainly for reading epubs with coloured text (no comics and minimal illustrations). My requirements:

-Must have colour

-8 inches or smaller

-Less than about $600 USD

-Doesn't necessarily need open Android, but needs an epub reader that supports JavaScript, custom text colours, and ruby text (pinyin above Chinese characters).

Pocketbook InkPad Color, Guoyue V5, and Onyx Boox Nova Air C all seem like they might be suitable. The Boox is obviously the most versatile, but significantly more expensive than the others. I could keep waiting for a Gallery 3 device, but it seems as though most of them will be out of my budget whenever they do show up. Advice please?
Krytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:13 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Color eink is only good for comics. It reduces the text resolution and has only about 4000 pastel shades because it's a filter printed on top of mono eink, which is at best 300 dpi with black, 14 grey levels and nearly white. So you either get 100dpi x 300 dpi (X by Y using RGB) or 150 dpi (X & Y using G B then R G on alternate lines). Triton gives more saturation but needs strong lighting and Kalido uses pastel shaded RGB to make it not quite as dark (but still need front light or strong ambient light).

Gallery 3 is OK for posters but poor for an ereader at about 1.5s for a page turn/full refresh. It's aimed at retail & advertising, though of course the Eink company will sell smaller panels to bleeding edge ereader makers and it will be a failure.

Javascript needs epub3.

A better quality LCD or OLED with matte finish screen is what you need for colored text.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2023, 11:58 AM   #3
Krytes
Enthusiast

I realize that most people would only use it for comics. I specifically want an e-ink screen to display Chinese characters in one of 5 colours, with the option to toggle romanization on/off above the characters (hence the need for Ruby text and a reader which supports epub 3 with JavaScript). Inaccurate or muted colours are not a problem as long as I can easily distinguish between 5 different colours, which seems like it shouldn't be a problem even for kaleidosco. 1.5 second refresh wouldn't be a dealbreaker either, since I'm only going to be reading pages of text very slowly.

I'm using an Android tablet for this purpose right now, bit the screen annoys me and I hate having to charge it so frequently. I also want to spend a lot of time reading outdoors this summer, so I really do want an eink reader and not an LCD or OLED.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:10 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krytes View Post
-Doesn't necessarily need open Android, but needs an epub reader that supports JavaScript, custom text colours, and ruby text (pinyin above Chinese characters).
Any ereader that sufficiently supports ePub3 should be able to handle ruby in whichever language it is used and Javascript. Custom text colours are available in ePub2.

OTOH, I have seen and lightly used several colour eInk ereaders and, so far, they are not ready for prime time.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:22 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Most coloured text is shades of murk on mono eink. Works on azw3 too I think as well as any epub.

The very ancient blackish, two greys and one light grey eink panels are likely early 2005 to 2007 LRF only Sony. The first Kindle was 2007 & 2008 and also only four level grey scale. It uses old mobi. Sony maybe went to epub about 2009.

The Kindle 3 (16 level grey) was 2010 but only got azw3 as a later firmware update, not sure when, possibly around 2011 or 2012.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-08-2023 at 12:25 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2023, 03:36 PM   #6
Krytes
Enthusiast

Sorry for duplicate.

Last edited by Krytes; 04-08-2023 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Duplicate entry
Old 02-02-2024, 04:48 PM   #7
Krytes
Enthusiast

In case anyone's interested, I ended up with a Boox Tab Mini C and love it.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:58 AM   #8
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krytes View Post
In case anyone's interested, I ended up with a Boox Tab Mini C and love it.
The Tab Mini C is a very complete e-reader. Since I got it, it has become my main e-reader for any kind of reading. I hardly use the rest of my e-readers.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 05:00 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
The Tab Mini C is a very complete e-reader. Since I got it, it has become my main e-reader for any kind of reading. I hardly use the rest of my e-readers.
It is also my main reading device - I find the screen at least as good as, if not better than, the Carta 1200 from the Tolino Epos 3.
Exceptions: I use the Palma when I'm on the go and the Tab Ultra C for working in the (winter) garden; They all have BooxSuperRefresh Technology, without which I hardly use any device anymore (sometimes the Tolino Epos 2 because it only weighs about 60%)
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 02:33 AM   #10
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
What app do you read with on your Tab Mini Cs - Neoreader?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 04:19 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
What app do you read with on your Tab Mini Cs - Neoreader?
Calibre Companion and AlReader - Im using NeoReader for fixed Layout boox (cbr, cbz, pdf).
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 07:50 AM   #12
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For regular reading I use AlReaderX (Eink), which is adapted to Onyx devices and has several options for colour. As a second option I use KOReader (a trial version that allows colour underlining).

For occasional reading I use the PocketBook (ePub/PDF with DRM) and Kindle (for its own ecosystem) applications. NeoReader I sometimes use for CBR/CBZ and PDF.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:48 AM   #13
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I usually use NeoReader for PDFs. For other formats, either Moon Reader Pro (using the Day 1 theme), KOReader or NeoReader. I had forgotten about AlReader and didn't know about AlReaderX. I've just installed AlReaderX. Looks promising!

Sometimes I'll use Librera Pro. It depends on the book.
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 01:53 PM   #14
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I've just installed AlReaderX. Looks promising!
AlReaderX has now reached an optimal level of development. The Google Play version is out of date. To get to know the possibilities of the programme it is best to go directly to the Russian 4PDA forum.

The colour options (apart from text underlining) are well summarised in this message:

https://4pda-to.translate.goog/forum...entry127130628

An example of what can be done can be seen in the screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240210-192703.png
Views:	47
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	206291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240210-192350.png
Views:	51
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	206292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240210-192155.png
Views:	43
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	206293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240210-192228.png
Views:	45
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	206294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240210-191303.png
Views:	45
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	206295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240210-191916.png
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	206296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240210-190400.png
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	206297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240210-190259.png
Views:	40
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	206298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240121-004830.png
Views:	51
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	206299  
Old 02-10-2024, 02:54 PM   #15
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I found AlReaderX Eink. It'll take a while to explore all the options! Thanks for the tip!
downeaster59 is online now   Reply With Quote