Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-02-2023, 06:49 AM   #1
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
Question How to mark currently reading books easily?

Hi!
I am trying to figure out a way to mark certain books in my library (not that it matters, but simply those I am currently reading). I would like to be able to switch this mark on/off quickly, but I have more or less given up on this. Mostly I want a quick access to these books when I open Calibre so I think having them available in one of the "folders" in the left side menu (I don't think it has a name, so I marked it with red color on the attached jpg) might be the best. Although I can add a category there, I cannot add books into it and I don't know if that is even the best way to go about what I need.

If there's anyone with a nice idea about how to achieve anything like this, pls, let me know.

Many thank in advance for any kind help!

Best regards,
P

P.S.
I admit as much as I love the basic functionality of Calibre, I am frustrated with its complexity and some of it's UI logic. There is so much I need to research in my life to get things done at work, frustrating buggy software I need to work around and more and having to spend even more of the same time and effort on a book database... I just can't mentally go further there. But I wanted to admit I have not studied and understood the complexities of Calibre and I cannot at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	example.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	496.7 KB
ID:	200052  
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:39 AM   #2
Lukusaukko
Enthusiast
Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You could set up a custom column that had values like "Currently reading, finished" and so on, and then set up a virtual library that searches for that information. Then you would just mark any book in your library with that information, and it would show up in the virtual library.

For example, I have a custom column Status (lookup name: "status" type: "Text, with fixed set of permitted values") that I use to mark books that I have already finished, that are in my to-be-read queue, or that need to be fixed to my liking. Then I have a virtual library called READ with a search expression "#status:"=Finished" to filter any books I have already finished.
Lukusaukko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2023, 09:34 AM   #3
Lukusaukko
Enthusiast
Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Come to think of it, virtual library is not even necessary: custom columns show up in the tag browser, and you can drag & drop books into them, so it would be very easy to do what you want by just setting up a custom column.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you! I will try that. I've learned how to do the columns, but never used them for anything.

P
Old 03-02-2023, 10:49 AM   #5
pavelh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukusaukko View Post
You could set up a custom column that had values like "Currently reading, finished" and so on, and then set up a virtual library that searches for that information. Then you would just mark any book in your library with that information, and it would show up in the virtual library.

For example, I have a custom column Status (lookup name: "status" type: "Text, with fixed set of permitted values") that I use to mark books that I have already finished, that are in my to-be-read queue, or that need to be fixed to my liking. Then I have a virtual library called READ with a search expression "#status:"=Finished" to filter any books I have already finished.

Following your example, the best I seem to be able to do, is to get a custom column in the Tag browser with a child item which is its value and a number of titles that have this value. To get the book there, I need to select the book then start editing metadata, go to user metadata tab and set the user column value there.
Well, didn't expect to be able to drag&drop books, but it would be nice.
So this is the best we can get?

P
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reading.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	200059  
Advert
Old 03-02-2023, 10:50 AM   #6
pavelh
Zealot

BTW is my karma number realistic? Or does the 666 at the end mean something nasty? LOL
I don't think I was that helpful, but who knows...
Old 03-02-2023, 11:09 AM   #7
Lukusaukko
Enthusiast

I'm able to drag & drop books into my custom Status category, so it should work - though Calibre is sometimes a bit picky about how you do it, because depending a bit on how you click the book, it can start editing the entry or selecting many. But drag and drop definitively works.

Name:	Screenshot_20230302_175513.png
Views:	74
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	200060

I would suggest you do something like this, and set up the column with values like "reading, abandoned,finished" so you can easily drag a book to "reading" and then when done with it, either to "abandoned" or "finished".

Name:	Screenshot_20230302_180707.png
Views:	101
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	200061

Last edited by Lukusaukko; 03-02-2023 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:44 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You have a KOBO

The Kobo Utilities can read the Reading status on your device and update a custom column.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=215339

Note: this is not Cross brands compatible (not that many brands even support similar Calibre ACCESSIBLE status
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 01:09 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You have a KOBO

The Kobo Utilities can read the Reading status on your device and update a custom column.

Note: this is not Cross brands compatible (not that many brands even support similar Calibre ACCESSIBLE status
It does work well also to set up a new Kobo ereader, even a different model with unread, reading (and position) and finished.
The Bookmarks option in Kobo Utilities and the Update Metadata in it both do more that expected.

Calibre should be updated from your Kobo before you sign out, or sign in or factory reset etc.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:33 PM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
You have a KOBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It does work well also to set up a new Kobo ereader, even a different model with unread, reading (and position) and finished.
The Bookmarks option in Kobo Utilities and the Update Metadata in it both do more that expected.

Calibre should be updated from your Kobo before you sign out, or sign in or factory reset etc.
I have a stored template, readstatus(), which pulls from a Kobo Utilities #percentread column and a Reading list #readinglist column.

Code:
program:

if $$#percentread >=#1 && $$#percentread <=#99
	then 'currentlyreading' 

elif "To Be Read" in $#readinglist && $$#percentread ==#0
	then 'toberead' 

elif $$#percentread >=#100
	then 'read' 

elif $$#percentread == 'None'
	then 'undefined' 

elif $$#percentread >=#0
	then 'unread' 

fi
I use it mainly for template checks and the like. Then I realized I could also have them appear in the tag browser.

Name:	2023-03-02 20_31_48-Window.png
Views:	106
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	200069

Putting the template directly into the composite column also works and is simpler for most people.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-02-2023 at 08:09 PM. Reason: tyop
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:00 PM   #11
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
I just add a "Currently Reading" tag to any books I am currently reading and then have a virtual library set to the tag. Then I have set my virtual libraries as tabs so all I have to do is hit the "Currently Reading" tab.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/virtual_libraries.html
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:42 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
You can just use the tag CURRENTLY. Then go to TAGS, scroll to C, select CURRENTLY and all the books with that tag will appear. When you are done, delete the tag.

I use this for tracking what I have loaded on my Mom's ereader so that when she is done, I can mark them all read (Mom in my 'read' column) and load another bunch of books on for her.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 01:38 AM   #13
Lukusaukko
Enthusiast

It slipped my mind to mention that in order for the drag and drop to work, you need at least one book in each category so that the category will appear in the sidebar. Since I usually have multiple books at various stages, I didn't think of it. The same applies whether it's a tag, a custom column or whatever - at least one book needs to have that data because the sidebar is basically just filters for the library view. Sorry for the confusion.

Others have mentioned KoboUtilities, which is good if your usage pattern fits - it needs a connection to Calibre, so if you are like me and connect only every now and then to upload a bunch of books at a time and then only after a long while, it doesn't work that well because it can't sync (and at least in my case, KoboUtilities doesn't sync the status when connecting to Calibre via Koreader's wifi plugin, which is what I usually do).
Old 03-04-2023, 09:15 AM   #14
pavelh
Zealot

[QUOTE=Lukusaukko;4303248]I'm able to drag & drop books into my custom Status category, so it should work - though Calibre is sometimes a bit picky about how you do it, because depending a bit on how you click the book, it can start editing the entry or selecting many. But drag and drop definitively works.

Thank you for your time and helpful advice, @Lukusaukko! I have updated Calibre and in the latest version the drag and drop works. Much better than before. I would prefer a different workflow, but this will do.
many thanks!

P
Old 03-04-2023, 09:18 AM   #15
pavelh
Zealot

Quote:
You have a KOBO

Thanks for the tip! I don't want to sync reading between Calibre and my Kobos this way though. Still, I will try to check the plugin when I have some time.

P