Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #151
dd23
dd23 doesn't litterdd23 doesn't litter

Device: PW3
Don't forget to update your MRPI!

Story time! Maybe it's useful for someone.

I got my PW3 in 2015 and decided to jailbreak it in 2016 cause I wanted the book cover screensaver. Worked just fine back then and in the process (or maybe later?) I also installed KUAL and MRPI.
I updated the firmware for my PW3 regularly and reinstalled KUAL, python and the screen saver every time.
At some point (starting with firmware 5.9.2 on the PW3) KUAL didn't survive the updates anymore and needed to be reinstalled with ;log mrpi. Fair enough, one more step but that's also easy.

Then came 2019 and I ran into the issue that packages couldn't be installed and were destroyed by MRPI. I installed the jailbreak hotfix and everything went back to normal.
(I did not check the logs back then, but I saw now that the problem was: Failed to parse package)

Today I updated to firmware 5.12.1 but wasn't able to install any packages cause they were destroyed by MRPI. Even the hotfix did not help. I almost panicked and thought that the new firmware had somehow removed or damaged the jailbreak.
I checked the MRPI logs and saw that the newest entry said Failed to extract package. However, the more surprising part was the line before, that contained [MRPI r13359]. MRPI was still the same old version I installed in October 2016! Downloading the newest MRPI version and unzipping it on my kindle was easy. Et voila, problem solved, packages installed

TL;DR: Update your MRPI!

Also: Thanks a lot NiLuJe and everyone else involved for your hard word and continuous dedication you put into the tools that you provide here for free. Really, !
dd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #152
Rominams
Rominams began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch (K5) and Kindle PW3W
installing mrpi on kindle touch

I tried installing the package. I just get 'no packages found'. I got the last version from the snapshot page, copied the two directories, ejected, unplugged. then tried installing on my Kindle and that's where it went wrong. Can someone help me please ☺️. It's on my old touch not the PW.
Rominams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2022, 05:52 PM   #153
aguy
aguy began at the beginning.

Device: pw
Same for me! I have no Idea how to install this without kualand I can't get a working.bin file, even with kindletool, obfuscating the provided tarball
aguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 12:06 PM   #154
sarigabor
Enthusiast
sarigabor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
If I just want to run koreader, do I need to install MRPI as well, or is KUAL enough?
sarigabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 02:24 PM   #155
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Well actually you use MRPI to install KUAL (booklet version)

Last edited by shamanNS; 12-24-2023 at 04:30 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2023, 02:34 PM   #156
sarigabor
Enthusiast
sarigabor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Well actually you used MRPI to install KUAL (booklet version)
thank you
sarigabor is offline   Reply With Quote