Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2022, 10:12 PM   #736
alb78701
alb78701 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kobo Elipsa
I have been using mine primarily for a few years now, going as far as converting my epub books to pdf (thanks to Calibre). The large screen really works for my old eyes, even more so than my Kobo Elipsa. I don't use the note taking feature very much at all, most just as an e-reader.
alb78701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:08 AM   #737
Deekin
Deekin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
@Deekin check eBay "dpt-s1 stylus" the electromagnetic stylus are about £10, shipped from China.
Can you help me out by point one that will be compatible?
I've searched but so far no luck. Thanks a lot in advance!
Deekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:01 AM   #738
kocoman
Connoisseur
kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

is there jailbreak release freeware for this?
kocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:05 PM   #739
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm curious about how the battery is holding up in this model. I assume that it isn't easily replaceable by the owner. Are people starting to have to abandon these devices because they don't charge up anymore, or are they still going strong?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 12:42 AM   #740
kcroker
kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony Digital Paper System
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm curious about how the battery is holding up in this model. I assume that it isn't easily replaceable by the owner. Are people starting to have to abandon these devices because they don't charge up anymore, or are they still going strong?
I've observed no real changes in battery longevity. But I've been using it continually for 7.5 years at this point, so there may have been some gradual decline. Even so, its not enough to interrupt my work flows. I rarely use it plugged in, I always charge it and then run it until it tells me Low Battery.
kcroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:43 AM   #741
88%
Enthusiast
88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch

Device: DPTS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroker View Post
I've observed no real changes in battery longevity. But I've been using it continually for 7.5 years at this point, so there may have been some gradual decline. Even so, its not enough to interrupt my work flows. I rarely use it plugged in, I always charge it and then run it until it tells me Low Battery.
I'm reluctant to comment, but only because I don't want to jinx it.

I can report similar performance although I haven't had my device for quite as long a time.
88% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:41 PM   #742
DB1099
Member Retired
DB1099 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT S1
question

I have both s1 and rp1 readers. I would like to use one of them during a lecture. Is it possible to somehow connect them to a projector so that what I write is currently displayed on a large screen?
DB1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 08:37 PM   #743
dbcorbin
dbcorbin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question Need Sony DPT-S1 parts

hello

I need the motherboard of a Sony DPT S1 that doesn't have a password remembered.

I found a DPT S1 at a garage sale that works except no one knows the password.

Sony won't fix it unless I have the original purchase receipt... so their solution is for me to throw the device away.

I could use any one with a broken screen or other non-working problem as long as it is not locked.

Any hints on where to find one?

thank you
dave
dbcorbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #744
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
You might have luck using dpt-tools to kick the device into diagnostic mode, and then username root password 12345 to reset the device. https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools/
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 01:25 PM   #745
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
You might have luck using dpt-tools to kick the device into diagnostic mode, and then username root password 12345 to reset the device. https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools/
is it possible to jailbreak the dpt-s1 with this? Still looks kinda complicated.

Really curious if anyone has done a jailbreak by himself yet. I know there were paid services in china but afaik no public tutorials or how-to's

would be amazing to be able to jailbreak it so epubs can be read too
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 03:29 PM   #746
88%
Enthusiast
88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcorbin View Post
hello

I found a DPT S1 at a garage sale that works except no one knows the password.

Sony won't fix it unless I have the original purchase receipt... so their solution is for me to throw the device away.
I unfortunately don't have an answer for you, but this was something I never considered so I'd like to get some clarification: are you saying that using the system reset button needs a password to factory reset the device?

I never considered that forgetting my password would potentially brick the DPT-S1, so I find this pretty shocking. I'd always just assumed that I could factory reset it just like any other Android device.

If true that the device can't be factory reset without a password, I consider this an inexcusable design flaw on Sony's part. I can't think I've ever come across a piece of hardware that can't be reset.
Old 06-11-2023, 05:43 PM   #747
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88% View Post
I never considered that forgetting my password would potentially brick the DPT-S1, so I find this pretty shocking. I'd always just assumed that I could factory reset it just like any other Android device.

If true that the device can't be factory reset without a password, I consider this an inexcusable design flaw on Sony's part. I can't think I've ever come across a piece of hardware that can't be reset.
Certainly factory reset a Kobo Nia removes the password.

But common with Satellite boxes (parental PIN) and PC BIOS passwords that you have to know the PIN or password, no reset mechanism.

Years ago someone set boot passwords on all of a schools Research Machine brand PCs and I was called in. Fortunately such a thing was none standard and I knew the password was stored on an 8 pin memory chip. Most BIOSes then used the RAM on the RTC backed up on a lithium cell (or in the case of Amstrad 2 x AA cells). The extra IC appeared to be in a socket so I unplugged it. The PC then booted without asking for a password. The teacher in charge insisted he'd do the rest.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 12:43 AM   #748
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
hello, worth to buy sony dpt to replace clipboard flow?

I usually use paper for doing my sketches and kobo elipsa for reading as the writing can be buggy and delete patches of my work and kobo screen very fragile so i am afraid to write much on it, so was wondering since the sony DPT 13.3" is cheap for it's size on eBay, if it worth to get it for dedicated writing? like all in one place for ideas, i don't use my LCD tablet for sketches/concepts because its not the final form hence paper usage and i was thinking of supernote A4X but it does too much stuff! (already have an LCD tablet for that). just want bigger screen for writing. what do you guys think? is this a hoarder question? lol
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 04:48 AM   #749
88%
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by readthinksurvive View Post
hello, worth to buy sony dpt to replace clipboard flow?

I usually use paper for doing my sketches and kobo elipsa for reading as the writing can be buggy and delete patches of my work and kobo screen very fragile so i am afraid to write much on it, so was wondering since the sony DPT 13.3" is cheap for it's size on eBay, if it worth to get it for dedicated writing? like all in one place for ideas, i don't use my LCD tablet for sketches/concepts because its not the final form hence paper usage and i was thinking of supernote A4X but it does too much stuff! (already have an LCD tablet for that). just want bigger screen for writing. what do you guys think? is this a hoarder question? lol
I love my DPT-S1, but you might want to consider testing a unit if possible to see if it meets your use case.

I take notes on mine all the time. Works great with an excellent response time. I'm almost certain the stylus isn't wacom though. I'm no artist - like XKCD puts me to shame - but I'd imagine the lack of pressure sensitivity would limit the kinds of sketches that can be made.

The device mounts as an external drive allowing for platform independent pdf transfer.

Not sure what you mean by "clipboard flow" so I'm afraid I can't be of any help there.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:59 AM   #750
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'd have bought one years ago if I thought it was good for writing. It's orientated to corporate use of PDFs and needs Sony software. The Fujitsu models using the same hardware might be better.

Is it even made or supported now? Sony also often remove drivers, software, firmware and manuals for older products from their website.

There are maybe 3 models, all old:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Digital_Paper_DPTS1

Original is only 150 dpi.

Since you have an Elipsa maybe you need to check the FW version.
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
The 4.36.x Elipsa 2 FW seems to run fine on the original Elipsa, though no g'tee.
Download, unzip and copy files and folder into .kobo on the Elipsa. Make sure at least 50% charged. Mac & Linux users need to ensure "hidden" files & folders are displayed.

I actually find the 8″ Sage better for writing (FW 4.35.x). I bought it a couple of weeks after the Elipsa. Previously I'd not been interested in a Forma or Sage as I had a 7″ Libra and 6.8″ Mars, but the writing convinced me. I bought a cheap 3rd party MS Surface pen nearly identical to the Kobo pen for the Sage.

I don't think the Elipsa screen is particularly fragile and I found it better than the reMarkable.

No eink or Tablet is as good for artistic sketching as paper yet. Some of the LCD tablet/digitisers (or screen/digitisers) are getting close. The eink at best only has 16 levels, that's 14 greys, black and white.

Even for digital colouring the initial image is often sketched on paper and then scanned.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crop, croppdf