Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Doesn't work at all? Or still can't de-DRM more than 5 books at a time?

It's usually best to first remove the old plugin, restart Calibre, and then reinstall the newest version. I've had problems in the past where installing over old versions didn't work at all, I always uninstall this plugin first now and it avoids the problem.
I did. I had forgotten a step before installation of the new one.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:49 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I never saw the problem on my Mac. It would be interesting to hear whether Alf's new version has fixed the problem for Windows users.
It certainly appears to have done. I've just added a batch of 28 books (my last two weeks' Amazon purchases / freebies / updates) and it's worked absolutely fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #18
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Man, I hate to be an ingrate, but I just don't understand why the files are hosted on such a sketchy site. Malwarebytes alarms. Uncheck options to avoid spyware. Fake download buttons as ads.

yikes
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
but I just don't understand why the files are hosted on such a sketchy site.
It's not really all that hard to figure out.

The dubious legality of distributing such tools (in some jurisdictions) naturally means that those who contribute and upload the tools are going to upload them to sites that allow them to do so anonymously. Anonymous upload sites that DON'T trigger malware/antivirus warning are—by their very nature—few and far between. And those that start out simple, ad-free and non-"here's our proprietary download manager"-ery soon become "sketchy" and "here's our proprietary download manager"-ery after they gain any kind of popularity.

So while I'm quite sure the game of constantly chasing reputable and relatively risk-free anonymous upload sites may sound like a whole lot of fun to some, many might actually find that sort of thing quite a slog, and would prefer to focus their efforts/talents where it actually does some good—the tools themselves. Maybe they'd even tend to rely on the word-of-mouth and the advice provided by a friendly online community to assist people in how—exactly—to get what they need safely and efficiently.

Then there's the fact that paid and safe and non-sketchy online hosting would (besides being traceable to the account holder) likely be plagued by take-down notices from authorities and rights-holder advocacy groups; making sure that most of the time spent developing the tools could now go toward chasing a merry-go-'round of hosting sites (supported by traceable PayPal accounts perahps?) just so the people who are actually taking the smallest legal risk could casually click buttons on the internet and download stuff without having to think things through at all.

Or so I would imagine.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's not really all that hard to figure out.

The dubious legality of distributing such tools (in some jurisdictions) naturally means that those who contribute and upload the tools are going to upload them to sites that allow them to do so anonymously. Anonymous upload sites that DON'T trigger malware/antivirus warning are—by their very nature—few and far between. And those that start out simple, ad-free and non-"here's our proprietary download manager"-ery soon become "sketchy" and "here's our proprietary download manager"-ery after they gain any kind of popularity.

So while I'm quite sure the game of constantly chasing reputable and relatively risk-free anonymous upload sites may sound like a whole lot of fun to some, many might actually find that sort of thing quite a slog, and would prefer to focus their efforts/talents where it actually does some good—the tools themselves. Maybe they'd even tend to rely on the word-of-mouth and the advice provided by a friendly online community to assist people in how—exactly—to get what they need safely and efficiently.

Then there's the fact that paid and safe and non-sketchy online hosting would (besides being traceable to the account holder) likely be plagued by take-down notices from authorities and rights-holder advocacy groups; making sure that most of the time spent developing the tools could now go toward chasing a merry-go-'round of hosting sites (supported by traceable PayPal accounts perahps?) just so the people who are actually taking the smallest legal risk could casually click buttons on the internet and download stuff without having to think things through at all.

Or so I would imagine.
One reason I do not mind having to jump through a few extra hoops to get the free goodies from Alf and yourself.
Thank you for your efforts.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Man, I hate to be an ingrate, but I just don't understand why the files are hosted on such a sketchy site. Malwarebytes alarms. Uncheck options to avoid spyware. Fake download buttons as ads.

yikes
I have not previously come across the use of the word "sketchy" to mean "dubious". In British English the word means "incomplete" or "a rough outline of something". Is this a common US English usage?
Old 12-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:

yikes
You probably missed the part where they tell you to NOT use the download manager. I've never gotten so much as a hiccup from my AV program about the tools, they are definitely clean. Just stay away from the download manager (probably a necessary evil at the host site, but they clearly tell you how to avoid using it).

Quote:
The download link is the grey button. Uncheck the box “Use our download manager and get recommended downloads”

Do not click on the advert on the right-hand side of the page, even if it says “DOWNLOAD NOW”.
The download will be a .zip file. If your download is a .exe file do not run it, as you have downloaded the download manager. Make sure that the check box is unchecked
Make sure Javascript is enabled in your browser.
No credit card or payment of any kind is required to download the tools.
If you are worried about the integrity of the tools, listed below is the MD5 checksum.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #23
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I knew I was being an ingrate. My apologies and thanks to those who developed these.

FWIW Ripplinger, Malwarebytes went off when I landed on the page. I didn't uncheck the box or attempt a download after that. I'll just stick to Calibre 1.4x and the old tools for now. They both work great for my needs. Was considering upgrading just to check out the changes.

HarryT, I think "sketchy" is pretty common slang over here in the US.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
HarryT, I think "sketchy" is pretty common slang over here in the US.
Thanks - always interesting to encounter new word usages.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
"Man, that dude looks sketchy to me."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

yikes
I'm sure if you could find a site that allows anonymous uploads and unlimited downloads for free and isn't the slightest bit dodgy, Alf would be happy to use it if you could provide a link in a comment at their site.

I've browsed a number of dodgy download sites in my time (from google search results, not realising they were dodgy until visited), and most of them are a lot dodgier and more cluttered than the one Alf uses.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #27
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Thanks for the heads up.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #28
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Thanks for the heads up. And a big THANK YOU to all who make this possible.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #29
stormcloude
Groupie
stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stormcloude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eBookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Much love to Alf and crew. And everyone here. My heart has grown three sizes today.
stormcloude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #30
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcloude View Post
Much love to Alf and crew. And everyone here. My heart has grown three sizes today.
and you have the strength of 10 Alf's plus 2!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote