Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2019, 11:48 PM   #1
Gothamite
Gothamite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
"Previous location" gone after update?

Hi,
I was wondering if I can get back to previous page after I click on footnote for example, that takes me to end of the book, and then back to previous page?
After last update instead of "previous location", now its "home" and obviously it takes me to the home page wich is annoying.
Any way to fix this?

*KOBO AURA

Last edited by Gothamite; 04-02-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast
gldnbrwncouches doesn't littergldnbrwncouches doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra H2O & Clara HD, Nook ST w/GL, GL+ (2015), Kindle PW4
Footnotes seem to be handled differently in different books for me. Some have a "back" link at the end of the footnote content itself that will link back to the "previous location" (usually only for longer references/footnotes). Most of my books have a link on the same word(s)/number that was the link of the footnote itself that will link back to where the reference was in the book. (Example: click on footnote in book labeled with a number "3", takes me to location where footnote "3" content exists somewhere else in the book, clicking on "3" by the footnote content will usually take me back to location the footnote was referenced in the book)

Not exactly a back button, but I think it does get you back to the "previous location" as you've described as a desired result, so hopefully it works that way for you as well. That being said, I wasn't able to duplicate the "back to home page" behavior as you describe on my own Kobo Forma to see the behavior for myself, sorry.
gldnbrwncouches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnbrwncouches View Post
Footnotes seem to be handled differently in different books for me. Some have a "back" link at the end of the footnote content itself that will link back to the "previous location" (usually only for longer references/footnotes). Most of my books have a link on the same word(s)/number that was the link of the footnote itself that will link back to where the reference was in the book. (Example: click on footnote in book labeled with a number "3", takes me to location where footnote "3" content exists somewhere else in the book, clicking on "3" by the footnote content will usually take me back to location the footnote was referenced in the book)

Not exactly a back button, but I think it does get you back to the "previous location" as you've described as a desired result, so hopefully it works that way for you as well. That being said, I wasn't able to duplicate the "back to home page" behavior as you describe on my own Kobo Forma to see the behavior for myself, sorry.
Most of what you describe there is in the coding of the book. Whether there are back-links from the footnote to where it is called from is definitely in the book. And has the disadvantage that the back-link can only point to one place which means you cannot use the same note for multiple places in the book. And means the coding for the book is a little more complicated and take more time to do.

@Gothamite: I didn't have a chance yesterday to do much testing. My first test showed the "Previous location" link, but a test book that was created purely to test footnote type links didn't always. I didn't have time to work out the pattern. But, I'm pretty sure the issue is only with epubs. Kepubs should be OK. And if you are reading books with lots of footnotes, kepubs have much better handling of footnotes, so I would recommend using them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:10 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I noticed the same, after upgrading to 4.12 yesterday too.

What happened before is that sometimes the "previous location" link was sending me back to the home screen instead. I'm hoping that now I'll see a "home" link in those cases, and a "previous location" when it will actually work.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
gldnbrwncouches
Enthusiast
gldnbrwncouches doesn't littergldnbrwncouches doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra H2O & Clara HD, Nook ST w/GL, GL+ (2015), Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I didn't have time to work out the pattern. But, I'm pretty sure the issue is only with epubs. Kepubs should be OK.
This would also likely explain why I couldn't replicate the behavior as all of my epub books get converted to kepub when transferring via Calibre to my Kobo. Sounds like this could be something for @Gothamite to try on their books/device and see if it would "fix" the behavior.
gldnbrwncouches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I just got a "Previous location" link in an epub, and I just got "Home" on the same epub before, so there's still some hope. I had been going back and forth from annotations and toc links, so I'm not quite sure the previous location link worked correctly.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Gothamite
Gothamite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
as gldnbrwncouches mentioned, when you click on footnote that takes you to end of the book it instantly takes you back to the page where footnote originally is, so there's that and luckily it works like that.

However, "previous location" isn't like it was before the update.
Now it's replaced by all buttons like "home", "collection" etc..

The only downside to this is that you simply can't go through the pages and then just click on "previous location" to get back to the page where you stopped reading.
Which really disables you to scroll through book flawlessly like before.

So now, if you want to check pages of the book back and worth, you need to bookmark the page where you stopped reading, so that you can get back to it.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote