Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #16
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Have you checked Noto? Covering missing glyphs is its aim, after all: https://www.google.com/get/noto/
I'm currently using Noto on my Kobo. The attached screenshots show the difference between Noto on my device and the same passage in the reader app on my PC. The errors are consistent, and so far not massive, but they are very frequent as the screenshots show, and because I like to read aloud for pronunciation practice, they're very distracting. (red= wrong, green=right)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noto.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	169814   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	169815  
Old 02-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #17
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I'm currently using Noto on my Kobo. The attached screenshots show the difference between Noto on my device and the same passage in the reader app on my PC. The errors are consistent, and so far not massive, but they are very frequent as the screenshots show, and because I like to read aloud for pronunciation practice, they're very distracting. (red= wrong, green=right)
You may perhaps try sideloading Mangal or sanskrit-2003 font. Both of them satisfactorily render Devnagri script on e-readers.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:49 AM   #18
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
You may perhaps try sideloading Mangal
Thanks! I already had Mangal sideloaded, when I tried it, the fix was instant and total Now if only Kobo allowed fonts to be set per book, because Noto works better for my Roman script books than Mangal.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Thanks! I already had Mangal sideloaded, when I tried it, the fix was instant and total Now if only Kobo allowed fonts to be set per book, because Noto works better for my Roman script books than Mangal.
Kobo does allow font settings to be set per book. In fact it's hard to avoid it.

Whenever you have a book open and change a font setting then those settings (font-family, font-size, line spacing, margins, alignment) are stored in the Kobo database for that book. If you exit the book, then come back to it, the book settings are read from the database.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #20
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Kobo does allow font settings to be set per book. In fact it's hard to avoid it.

Whenever you have a book open and change a font setting then those settings (font-family, font-size, line spacing, margins, alignment) are stored in the Kobo database for that book. If you exit the book, then come back to it, the book settings are read from the database.

Thank you Jackie! After trying it, I have figured out my mistake. I assumed there was a system default, and that any book not specifically set would show the system font. Instead, it shows the last font used, until set otherwise. VERY much obliged!