Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-27-2023, 11:06 AM   #31
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sile2001 View Post
Madness. To think it normal that a somewhat widely-used application in 2023 doesn't support a mechanism that has been in Windows since 1995, Linux since the mid-to-late 90's (at least), and OSX since 2002. Got it.
We have a (unwritten) rule:
Don't whine about Library errors once you have been reminded/warned about the FAQ section on remote storage.
Making Calibre compatible with the .0001% (a guess) of the users that even have a NAS is not even worth Kovids effort.

OTOH Using a 'share'/NAS as a backup is perfectly good as long as it is not Google Drive
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 12:12 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Madness. To think it normal that a somewhat widely-used application in 2023 doesn't support a mechanism that has been in Windows since 1995, Linux since the mid-to-late 90's (at least), and OSX since 2002. Got it.
Almost no applications designed to work with local files (includes USB) are reliable with Network shares, Windows or others.

Filesharing on Windows on NT or or ordinary windows just has batter security than 1993. Or MS LAN Manager on OS/2 from 1986. It's not safer for programs that are designed to use local files. Linux is technically the kernel. The rest is mostly GNU which started to be released from 1983. The Linux Kernel (only) was 1993, about the same time a complete NT 3.1 was released (the first version of NT).

Almost any application built on MS Access using MS tools will come to grief eventually if you use an Access database file on a Windows Share. You need full MS SQL , or Maria DB, or MySQL, or Oracle or DB2 etc, as a SERVER running remotely on the network. Then the application NEVER accesses files via a network share, but accesses a remote port on a server application on the remote computer, which then only accesses local files.

Calibre is single user, so it doesn't need the overhead of a database server. Thus it uses SQLight, which means Calibre is reading and writing the database files directly, not via a Server.

This is quite common for single user applications. The MS version of MS SQL starts with version 6.x in 1995. Previously it was Sybase. MS Access was released in 1993 and is still part of office. It will work over a share, but it's madness. You are meant to use MS SQL for a database on a network. In reality any Access database that works reliably on a Network or MS Cloud is actually being used like MS SQL, the actual physical file is only opened "locally" by a remote Server application (like Sharepoint).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2023, 12:16 PM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had my own LAN and server from about 1994.
I installed LANs, Databases and gave training from 1992 to 2004.

We only use "file shares" to copy files. Clue in the name!

We use server applications to run remote applications on the LAN or the Internet.
Old 05-27-2023, 12:41 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Ownedbycats pretty much said what I was going to say. Using a calibre (SQLite) database on a network share is asking for trouble.

Over the decades I've worked in IT, I have seen Oracle, Microsoft, IBM and other databases have issues with some network file storage implementations and they were intended to work as shared databases over a network.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:55 PM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Netware 4.2 55 user lic (was 5 but had to add more for my net attached printers).
Supported Paradox DOS multi user. Only issue was allowing a PC to sleep with Paradox app running. Locks on the DB was the biggest issue (who the enabled screen savers/sleep).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2023, 04:57 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You aren't supposed to use Calibre on a Network share. Madness. Read the manual.
I only use the network to backup.
I only run network aware applications to a network. Otherwise I use a local copy of the files.
I'm using a network drive for my library but calibre is local. The new calibre trash works perfectly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:25 AM   #37
lostinlodos
Enthusiast
lostinlodos began at the beginning.

Device: multi
Quote:
It doesn't work at all, ever, with any application on any OS that uses a file for content but all the management and metadata is in a database.

Ah, I see. You’re using calibre as a collection, not a converter.
I understand your thoughts on this now, as you have fulled in the vital piece of information. Yes, many people use this software as a document management tool. Many people do not.

While I understand this as an option, it should be able to be disabled.
For those of us who use calibre as a converter only, and that is a large number, this is pointless.
Once we convert the file, and drag it to a new location, calibre has finished its task and the (now duplicated) files are no longer of any use.
The ability to instantly delete as we have from day one till this new cycle, is a useful feature.
With no way to disable this new “feature” all of the conversion users are now stuck with a large secondary trash bin. That can’t be easily emptied. Nor is it at all intuitive that we should use the restore command to delete files permanently.

For anyone who has dealt with technical CIS and IT documents, they can be quite large. Without any videos or audio, just text and images.
Holding on to a set of files at 500+MB each quickly become an issue even on modern storage amounts.
lostinlodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 12:59 PM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Under Remove Books (Del Key?), Restore recently Deleted:
You get a window with two tabs Books(n), Formats(n).

The books are eventually really deleted even if you do nothing (maybe 14 days). You can set to 1 day.

Calibre is mainly a system to manage ebooks for an ereader, not actually a document management system nor a lending library, but more like a catalogue with copies of the ebooks in files as it's inefficient to store them in the database. The conversion can be done via command line. The Editor and Viewer are standalone.

Try reading the manual and examining the Menu options.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:25 PM   #39
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinlodos View Post
Ah, I see. You’re using calibre as a collection, not a converter.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...k-convert.html
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 12:20 AM   #40
lostinlodos
Enthusiast

Quote:
…Calibre is mainly a system to manage ebooks for an ereader, not actually a document management system nor a lending library, but more like a catalogue with copies of the ebooks in files as it's inefficient to store them in the database. The conversion can be done via command line. The Editor and Viewer are standalone…Try reading the manual and examining the Menu options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Yes: I only use it as a converter. Never thought much into the management aspects of it.
I delete ebooks/documents once I read them. So never needed a library for storage. That and the various companion apps be very really worked for me.

—As for book management, ebooks are just another document. Just like there are plugins for music and film management for calibre.
I never really considered that the discussions over deletion was
About the catalogue/library aspect. My bad on that.

But it would still be nice to have a way to delete items permanently as we used to. Even if hidden away in advanced settings. Keeping epub and pdf files that are over a GB in size, just sitting around can be problematic.

For now I found it easier to just delete the calibre trash folder. Doesn’t appear to damage the program functionality at all.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:57 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You aren't supposed to use Calibre on a Network share. Madness. Read the manual.
I only use the network to backup.
I only run network aware applications to a network. Otherwise I use a local copy of the files.
Quote:
Yes: I only use it as a converter. Never thought much into the management aspects of it.
I delete ebooks/documents once I read them. So never needed a library for storage. That and the various companion apps be very really worked for me.

—As for book management, ebooks are just another document. Just like there are plugins for music and film management for calibre.
I never really considered that the discussions over deletion was
About the catalogue/library aspect. My bad on that.

But it would still be nice to have a way to delete items permanently as we used to. Even if hidden away in advanced settings. Keeping epub and pdf files that are over a GB in size, just sitting around can be problematic.

For now I found it easier to just delete the calibre trash folder. Doesn’t appear to damage the program functionality at all.
The default is for deleted items to be permanently deleted after 2-weeks. So if you just ignore the calibre trash, stuff will go away on its own.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:16 AM   #42
lostinlodos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The default is for deleted items to be permanently deleted after 2-weeks. So if you just ignore the calibre trash, stuff will go away on its own.
I set it for 1 day.
But you seem to be more willing to keep around gigabytes of junk than I am.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:49 AM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Did you miss where I explained how to to set it to auto delete after a day?
Old 06-03-2023, 08:45 AM   #44
lostinlodos
Enthusiast

Quote:
Did you miss where I explained how to to set it to auto delete after a day?
No, I set it myself already. But I can delete files faster by deleting the calibre trash folder. Completing the intention of deletion without waiting.

No sense to leave duplicates of already converted and moved files. Just a pointless waste of space.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:30 AM   #45
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

One day makes no difference unless your disk is already too small.