Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-01-2023, 05:27 AM   #46
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I use the Calibre ebook-viewer on macos and Apple Books on ios.
Thanks for your response, I did not mean to say that there's anything wrong with BookFusion, I think it's a wonderful app, with a lot of my favorite features like seamless scrolling between chapters and description previews in the bookshelf. I'm just pedantic, lol. (In fact, I would simply use a plaintext viewer if it had a good catalog manager.)

I did not know that Calibre Sync was an option, that sounds great!

For additional context:
- I installed BookFusion on both an iOS device and MacOS.
- I read in scrolling view most often, I use paged mode when using a keyboard sometimes.
- I got used to Iowan Old Style font so I always look to switch to that first.
- I read from large collections of short epubs that I download, which makes it difficult to browse. As I understand, most readers do not do this and BookFusion is designed perfectly for that intended usecase.

If it would be helpful, what I liked about foliate and kybooks:
- In addition to preferring the freemium/foss model, I often sort by tag to browse all books that have a certain tag.
- For formatting, I liked how the text alignment CSS from the epub was respected, since many epubs I read have variable text alignment.
- I also liked how kybooks3 saved metrics on how fast I read and the integrated dictionary/web browser.
- Mainly, readers are an aesthetic choice to me, so how similar they are to iOS is important, thus consistency of design for foliate's gui with other linux apps and the similarities between Books and kybooks3 is what drew me to these examples.

Maybe BookFusion is capable of most of these things, I probably haven't used it enough to know. I might give it another try!

Last edited by arpeggioaccele; 10-01-2023 at 05:30 AM.
arpeggioaccele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:36 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How well do Foliate and Kybooks respect the CSS? It's OK to have overrides, but they should respect the CSS if any overrides are not used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2023, 09:19 AM   #48
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Hello skillachie! I saw BookFusion released a new version with page curl animation and no animation. Thank you!!

I noticed when using black background with white text, when page curl is selected the "back" of the page that's curling is white rather than black. Not sure how easy it would be to make the back of the page match the background color of the front of the page? The Kindle app and Apple's Books app does this. Thanks for considering.
, I purposely did not update you yet since it is still in beta. We only pushed that release due to a reading position sync bug and figured we should include what is already done.

I agree with you and we plan to have it done as well. Page curl effect , needs to also be implemented for Fixed Layout ePUBs and CBZ/CBR. Thanks for trying and providing feedback will reach out once done.
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:28 AM   #49
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It would be really good to remove the page curl animation bloat.
The good thing is that it is not the default and now readers will be able to choose between none, slide and curl.

To be honest personally I do not read with curl and did not see it as important. However, we can't deny that there is a large base of readers that like this. Apple Books removed it and it had to be returned.

Example https://discussions.apple.com/thread...2#258464992022

There are many other pages like this on other sites. We have also received the feedback as well. Just different strokes for different folks
Old 10-02-2023, 03:08 PM   #50
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It would be really good to remove the page curl animation bloat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillachie View Post
The good thing is that it is not the default and now readers will be able to choose between none, slide and curl ...
One person's bloat makes it possible for another person to use BookFusion without headaches caused by the visual disturbance of text sliding across the screen with every page turn. The "none" option also works for me, but "curl" makes for a more pleasant reading experience. (I'm not sure why the "slide" animation gives me headaches whereas my eyes can handle "curl", but there you go. I also use the "Reduce Motion" setting on my iPhone because those animations also give me headaches.)

So thank you, skillachie for offering options for all readers
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2023, 12:39 AM   #51
arpeggioaccele
light mode user
arpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverarpeggioaccele exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: I use the Calibre ebook-viewer on macos and Apple Books on ios.
I have no idea, it's not something important to me. They respect the exact same CSS that I force every book to have manually in Calibre and that's all I care about. I don't use overrides because I already destructively fixed the original file (I know, I know, but overrides weren't a thing on Books and I got used to it.)

(For reading on a small screen, I prefer to optimize the CSS to use the whole width of the screen at all times, skip lines between paragraphs and to have no embedded font.)

I never actually got foliate to work for me unfortunately. I can test kybooks3 for CSS behavior if I knew what to look for.
arpeggioaccele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 08:21 PM   #52
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Mapleread is awesome for PDFs. That's my favorite.
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 10:33 AM   #53
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusJ View Post
Mapleread is awesome for PDFs. That's my favorite.
Goodreader is my favorite because you can easily crop the margins which makes the text larger without manipulation.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 06:57 PM   #54
upnseams
Enthusiast
upnseams began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 11
I too want to go down this rabbit hole. I have Ipad pro 12 and I have used the nook app for years for reading and I am ok with that. But my problem is I have used Calibre to change formats and get my books to my Ipad. Calibre companion is all but gone. How can I save my books and get them easily to my Ipad. I do have storage in Icoud but that is all. And help would be appreciated.
upnseams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 09:20 PM   #55
skillachie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I've given it a try and really like almost everything. Disabling animation for page turning is also my must have. Along with that, the show stopper for me is I need to be able to touch either side of the screen to go forward. I'm a very fast reader and hold it in my left hand. To have to swipe and put down whatever my right hand is holding to swipe really slows down my reading. Any chance you will implement the touch options?
Happy to let you know all your requested features have now been implemented.
  • You can now disable animations
  • You can now customize the tap zones to your hearts content. I must say, I think we have the best implementation of this

Take it for a spin and let me know what you think. Details about the update at https://www.reddit.com/r/BookFusion/...p_zones_other/
Old 12-01-2023, 12:08 PM   #56
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just updated my ipad to version 1.30.7 and can't find where the new features are - where to disable animations and customize tap zones? Please direct me. Thanks.

Quote:
Happy to let you know all your requested features have now been implemented.
  • You can now disable animations
  • You can now customize the tap zones to your hearts content. I must say, I think we have the best implementation of this

Take it for a spin and let me know what you think. Details about the update at https://www.reddit.com/r/BookFusion/...p_zones_other/
Old 12-01-2023, 12:37 PM   #57
skillachie
Addict

Quote:
I just updated my ipad to version 1.30.7 and can't find where the new features are - where to disable animations and customize tap zones? Please direct me. Thanks.
That is the previous version. You need version 1.31.0

Probably Apple did not propagate the update to all regions as yet. Can you check if there is now a pending update for you?

Once updated look for the settings:
  • Page Animation
  • Tap Zones
Old 12-01-2023, 01:16 PM   #58
peaceridge
Guru

Just checked. Not available yet for my region. I'll keep checking and will let you know how it works for me.

Any chance you can add the ability to show Apple's top line with time, date, and battery?

Quote:
That is the previous version. You need version 1.31.0

Probably Apple did not propagate the update to all regions as yet. Can you check if there is now a pending update for you?

Once updated look for the settings:
  • Page Animation
  • Tap Zones
Old 12-04-2023, 06:34 PM   #59
skillachie
Addict

Quote:
Just checked. Not available yet for my region. I'll keep checking and will let you know how it works for me.

Any chance you can add the ability to show Apple's top line with time, date, and battery?

Should be in your region now. Let me know your thoughts re those previous items.

Custom footer and header toolbars. We received this request before as well and will bring it back to the community to vote on where to place it with the next set of requested items. Planned but no ETA yet.

We are wrapping up the following items that the reader community previously ranked highest:
  • TTS PDFs - Done
  • Custom Tap Zones - Done
  • Auto Scrolling - Pending
  • Widgets - Pending
  • Swipe to Adjust Brightness - Done
  • Animations (Curl, Slide, Disable) - Done

We also need to complete a few of our other core roadmap items as well such as integrating Social(https://www.bookfusion.com/reading/branch), Smart Shelves & Smart Queries to name a few. TL;DR It will come but have just a few items ahead of it.

Hope it is not a make or break feature for you.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:16 AM   #60
peaceridge
Guru

Got the newest update and it looks good - no page curl and page zones are really nice.

Noticed there are no page numbers. Did I miss a setting? I very much depend on page numbers (page x of xx in the entire book). I don't even care if they are real accurate. I always look to see how close to the end of the book I am before going to bed. Less than 100 pages, I'll keep reading, otherwise I'll wait until the next day

I also like at least the time shown. Hopefully you will include that in the not too far future. In the meantime I'll keep checking it out. You are doing a really great job!

Quote:
Should be in your region now. Let me know your thoughts re those previous items.

Custom footer and header toolbars. We received this request before as well and will bring it back to the community to vote on where to place it with the next set of requested items. Planned but no ETA yet.

We are wrapping up the following items that the reader community previously ranked highest:
  • TTS PDFs - Done
  • Custom Tap Zones - Done
  • Auto Scrolling - Pending
  • Widgets - Pending
  • Swipe to Adjust Brightness - Done
  • Animations (Curl, Slide, Disable) - Done

We also need to complete a few of our other core roadmap items as well such as integrating Social(https://www.bookfusion.com/reading/branch), Smart Shelves & Smart Queries to name a few. TL;DR It will come but have just a few items ahead of it.

Hope it is not a make or break feature for you.