Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-03-2016, 05:00 AM   #1
firewater
firewater began at the beginning.

Device: Computer
The "calibre X.XX created by Kovid Goyal" toolbar

I've always hoped Calibre added the feature of hiding this part of the UI, but I guess if it ever happens it won't come out of nothing, so here I am finally requesting it.

Of course, I have nothing against the creator of Calibre (quite the opposite in fact), but I simply use nothing on this column and it's unpleasant to the eye to have it there. I don't need to know what version I'm running/who made it all the time, and I never switch views (furthermore, if I did, there are already shortcuts in placement for such actions). It also shows the amount of books in the library, but that's more of a fun fact I'd see from somewhere else on the UI rather than information that I actively want on screen. Perhaps most useful, there's the "Jobs" part, but when such thing is needed to be clicked on, the user may simply unhide the bar.

Always wondered why this isn't doable, considering the overwhelming amount of customization the program allows for. The bar looks really off-putting to me because not only I don't use it at all (almost, sometimes for jobs), but also because I'm having a very minimal approach to the Calibre UI (everything is hidden, and am using the Cover Grid -view with less amount of info on screen-).

Hope this will be added somewhere down the line!

Last edited by firewater; 09-03-2016 at 05:04 AM.
firewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:20 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is not going to be changed. You'll just have to deal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's the status bar it is used for all sorts of emssages for running jobs, tooltips, update notifications, connected device name, and so on.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
firewater
firewater began at the beginning.

Device: Computer
Right, so I still don't see how that would differentiate it from the other things that one can hide (as in, how it is any more essential, considering some users don't use any of the features it displays), but it is what it is, was worth asking anyhow.
firewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewater View Post
Right, so I still don't see how that would differentiate it from the other things that one can hide (as in, how it is any more essential, considering some users don't use any of the features it displays), but it is what it is, was worth asking anyhow.
The status bar is critical to normal operation of Calibre. Maybe you have not noticed it, but there are also buttons on the right-hand edge that allow major sections of the unRAID GUI to be toggled on/off. It also gives access to the dialog for checking on progress of Calibre jobs.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The status bar is critical to normal operation of Calibre. Maybe you have not noticed it, but there are also buttons on the right-hand edge that allow major sections of the unRAID GUI to be toggled on/off. It also gives access to the dialog for checking on progress of Calibre jobs.
FTR : the buttons have configurable keyboard shortcuts, defaults are: Shift+Alt+T, B, G, D and J.

I never click the buttons, but have changed the 'Cover Browser' shortcut to Shift+Alt+C (Carousel).

But more importantly, for me at least, is the fact that status line also displays transient status information from plugins etc, and the Jobs button animates when jobs are running. I'd also like to see some sort of indication that tells me a library manager initiated server is running.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-04-2016 at 05:48 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The balls on the connect/share button change color when a server is running from blue to green.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The balls on the connect/share button change color when a server is running from blue to green.
That is a very subtle difference on many displays. I knew about the colors because I looked at the Icon set, thne figured where they were used
I think Hollow Balls (off), Green (server), Blue (WDC) and Yellow (both. Blue +Green =... )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:19 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I don't have that button on a toolbar, and I have icon size set to Off, so even if it was there I wouldn't see it I have it in the context menu but the difference between green and blue is barely discernible.

And there's no indication of which library is being served. If you start a server on Library A and switch to Library B the server doesn't switch - nor would I expect it to! But it would be nice to see something like "Serving: Library A" or "Closed for lunch" somewhere

I normally start servers from scripts, but occasionally I start one from the calibre library manager on one of my subsidiary libraries, forget I did it, and I end up in a state of even greater confusion.

No biggie, given the thread was about the status line thought I'd throw it in. I'd quite like to see the Library and VL names down there too

a configurable status line in Preferences->Look and Feel

BR
Old 09-05-2016, 02:59 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Library and VL names are already in the titlebar, why do we need a configurable option to list it in yet more places?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:53 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Indeed they are in the Title bar as - |Physical Name| : |Virtual Name|. And the corresponding counts are in the Status bar as |Virtual Count| selected count |Physical Count|. By the time my eyes have traversed the 37cm between name and number, I've forgotten the former

BR
Old 09-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Indeed they are in the Title bar as - |Physical Name| : |Virtual Name|. And the corresponding counts are in the Status bar as |Virtual Count| selected count |Physical Count|. By the time my eyes have traversed the 37cm between name and number, I've forgotten the former

BR
Now I heard that things in Australia were BIG,
But using Monitors so big that it takes enough time to traverse that eyes go to sleep?

Maybe yo just need more Coffee (so your eyes do not go to sleep between the top and bottom)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Now I heard that things in Australia were BIG,
But using Monitors so big that it takes enough time to traverse that eyes go to sleep?

Maybe yo just need more Coffee (so your eyes do not go to sleep between the top and bottom)
The eyes aren't problem, it's the short term memory

But that's 37 centimetres not inches. MB Ruler is configured for metric. Australia dropped British Empire units decades ago, always surprises me the US hangs onto them, given 1776 and all that

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-06-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #14
bkanuka
bkanuka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Old thread, but this comes up when searching for hiding the status bar in calibre, so I thought I'd post here.

I don't want to restart a discussion on the importance of the status bar, but in case there's a user that wants to ignore all the good things in the status bar and hide it anyway, I've made a plugin that does just that (and allows you to toggle the status bar on and off).

https://github.com/bkanuka/calibre-p...hide-statusbar
bkanuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkanuka View Post
Old thread, but this comes up when searching for hiding the status bar in calibre, so I thought I'd post here.

I don't want to restart a discussion on the importance of the status bar, but in case there's a user that wants to ignore all the good things in the status bar and hide it anyway, I've made a plugin that does just that (and allows you to toggle the status bar on and off).

https://github.com/bkanuka/calibre-p...hide-statusbar
You should to go to the Calibre Plugin forum and start a new thread on this plugin. Describe what it does and how to use it. Also, attach the plugin to the first post.

Also, is your plugin compatible with both Python 2 and Python 3 for when Calibre with Python 3 comes out?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote