Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
Monny
Monny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Tolino Shine 2 HD or Kobo Glo Hd or Pocketbook Lux 3 or Bookeen

Im looking for ereader with best contrast and the most uniform, natural looking frontlight. Absolutely dont care about built in stores, will side-load all my books. So far I tried Paperwhite 3 (which i returned, letters looked washed out and frontlight was uneven, ugly with blueish tint, i dont think this 300 dpi is a good thing at all, i really hated it) and Inkbook Obsidian (great screen with bold inky black fonts, front light works as intended, no washed out letters, yellowish tint makes it look like old book, problem was awful software). Now Im trying to choose between Tolino Shine 2 HD or Kobo Glo Hd or Pocketbook Lux 3 or Bookeen, which ones frontlight has the most natural color, so it doesnt look like LCD when frontlight is on in dark room? Which ones font is the most inky black? I dont care about dpi. Any recommendations?
Monny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I cannot say about any of the Reader you've mentioned except the PW3. But if you don't mind a slightly larger screen at 6.8", the Kobo Aura H2O is very nice.It has a very even front light. Kobo allows you to change the weight of the fonts so you get them looking as you like. The Glo HD does as well.

But, I suggest you wait until later in August. Supposedly Kobo is going to announce two new Readers. One being 6" and the other being 6.8". They will have a flush screen and 8GB of internal storage. Plus they will be using a Carta screen for good contrast. And because they are from Kobo, they will have the font adjustment in the firmware. Kobo has a reputation for releasing devices for a good front light.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2016, 02:49 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, I suggest you wait until later in August. Supposedly Kobo is going to announce two new Readers. One being 6" and the other being 6.8".
7.8. And yes, if you care strongly about lighting temperature, the Kobo One is definitely one to watch.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote