Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #46
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
But I am still singing the song.

A great day is coming!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
No idea how reliable apple insider is, but here's a different set of rumors than yesterday's:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...s_in_2012.html
Yer 'bout to find out Vern!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #48
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
SQUUUUUEEEEEEEE!

Me too, which is so weird because I'm a dude.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #49
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I'm excited. I love my Sony PRS-505 but I really want an upgrade now after three years! I definitely want 3G connectivity, the "free" 3G is definitely Kindle's selling point for me. I am partial to epub but I can probably live with mobi.. I hope the design of Kindle has improved (no flames please! I know some people love how the Kindle looks.. I didn't, so far).
Hey, that's what the Sony T1 is.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #50
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I still want a 10-incher though.
You said it! <g>
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #51
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Tomorrow about Noon, NYC time, all Amazon Friends and Kindle Lovers everywhere can join hands and run down the sidewalks, and out into the streets, while singing:

"Bob Marley - I Can See Clearly Now

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day..."

Now where IS that negative Karma button????
Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #52
kennyc

Quote:

A great day is coming!
A great day is here! The think that I'm a bit unhappy with is the media pre-characterizing the Kindle Tablet as an iPad killer. I certainly could be wrong (we won't know for a few hours) but I don't expect it to be a "generic" android tablet but to be very tied to reading and Amazon -- books, movies, video, music. We'll find out soon enough eh?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #53
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
I'm excited. I love my Sony PRS-505 but I really want an upgrade now after three years! I definitely want 3G connectivity, the "free" 3G is definitely Kindle's selling point for me. I am partial to epub but I can probably live with mobi.. I hope the design of Kindle has improved (no flames please! I know some people love how the Kindle looks.. I didn't, so far).
Just curious, Seajewel. Why is 3G so important? I've got it on my Sony 950, along with wifi, but rarely use it. Will you make such extensive use of the Amazon bookstore that 3G is the decisive factor?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Plus the current WiFi model is not a tablet.

EDIT: Not to mention the fact that if this rumor is true... it means Amazon has heard and recognized the fact that many just don't want/need a touch-screen reader.

Or mayby they are just feeling the market. I do think that if the touch screen Kindle outsells the non-touch, then the non-touch won't make it to the year after.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #55
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Just curious, Seajewel. Why is 3G so important? I've got it on my Sony 950, along with wifi, but rarely use it. Will you make such extensive use of the Amazon bookstore that 3G is the decisive factor?
Yep, agreed. I find very little use for 3G (even on my Xoom). I do use wifi on the Xoom for downloading books from Amazon, but that is about all. I virtually never us it on my Kindle 2....but then again I don't use the Kindle 2 that much really I tend to read on my Sony 505 or my Xoom and occasionally on my DroidX.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Or mayby they are just feeling the market. I do think that if the touch screen Kindle outsells the non-touch, then the non-touch won't make it to the year after.
These are all rumors of course, but I guarantee that a $99 non-touch Kindle will outsell a more expensive touch-screen Kindle by a fairly wide margin.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #57
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I love my Kindle 3. Quite a few times I've been sat waiting for my train and just bought a new book over 3g. I'm not entirely sold on the need for touchscreen but I'm certainly hoping any new e-ink models go on sale in the UK pretty soon.

Given the news about the October Kindle sale on the UK site I'd say it's pretty likely
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #58
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:

A great day is coming!
Apple's worst nightmare!

Coyote Ugly!

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #59
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Why is 3G so important?
You never run out of books, regardless of where you're at. Read the current bestseller list and download sample chapters of the more interesting ones while waiting for your connecting flight? Pretty nifty in my book. Also, Wikipedia everywhere you go. It's a veritable Hitchhiker's Guide.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #60
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
You never run out of books, regardless of where you're at. Read the current bestseller list and download sample chapters of the more interesting ones while waiting for your connecting flight? Pretty nifty in my book. Also, Wikipedia everywhere you go. It's a veritable Hitchhiker's Guide.
Ah, but that's why I have a Xoom, Google maps, Google Sky (in case I need to find Mars or Jupiter), Weatherbug, Kindle App, FBReader, Nook App......