Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-08-2023, 06:41 PM   #1
mediocre
mediocre began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thumbs down KOReader Android: how to search file names?

KOReader seems like a nice and capable app. But I get stuck on a very basic step: In a folder with many pdf and epub files I want to search for a certain file name to quickly find the file I am looking for. But I fail to find this functionality in KOReader.

I can scroll through a paged file list when selecting the folder which is really inconvenient if you have to go through 10 pages to get to the book you are looking for.

How is this handled? It feels like I am missing something?
mediocre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 11:29 PM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Upper menu - Search (magnifying glass) - File search.
Can be assigned to a gesture.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2023, 02:24 AM   #3
mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Upper menu - Search (magnifying glass) - File search.
Can be assigned to a gesture.

Thanks for your reply. I don't see `File search` option, when opening the Search menu:
https://ibb.co/r40gD0Y
Old 09-09-2023, 05:00 AM   #4
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are in a book.
"File search" is available in the file browser only.
Old 09-09-2023, 06:32 AM   #5
mediocre

Quote:
You are in a book.
"File search" is available in the file browser only.
But why? First what is "file browser"? When I leave the book I see a file list, maybe that is file browser? But if so, I am not seeing any spotlight icon on that view, but the folders from the android device. The only icons showing are a house (top left) and a plus icon (top right). Should a spotlight icon be there?

Why not allow users to do a file search when they are in a book and when they select another ebook, open that?
Advert
Old 09-09-2023, 09:05 AM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocre View Post
But why? First what is "file browser"? When I leave the book I see a file list, maybe that is file browser? But if so, I am not seeing any spotlight icon on that view, but the folders from the android device. The only icons showing are a house (top left) and a plus icon (top right). Should a spotlight icon be there?

Why not allow users to do a file search when they are in a book and when they select another ebook, open that?
Step 0: RTFM: https://koreader.rocks/koreader-user-guide.pdf
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 09:45 AM   #7
mediocre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Not that helpful. Which page are you referring to which holds the answer to the initial question? If I need to read a 42 page manual to learn how to search for a file, something is wrong.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:03 AM   #8
hius07
Wizard

Yes, it is the file browser when you see the home icon at the top left and the plus icon at the top right.
Open the upper menu, File search item is in the Search submenu.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:12 AM   #9
mediocre

Quote:
Yes, it is the file browser when you see the home icon at the top left and the plus icon at the top right.
Open the upper menu, File search item is in the Search submenu.
That worked, thanks so much.

I'd still argue that offering file search while in an open ebook would be useful. Not quite sure I get the thought process behind the UI design of removing File Search when in an open ebook.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:21 AM   #10
hius07
Wizard

File search can be called while in a book via the assigned gesture.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:52 PM   #11
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocre View Post
Not that helpful. Which page are you referring to which holds the answer to the initial question? If I need to read a 42 page manual to learn how to search for a file, something is wrong.
I agree. Something is wrong.

It's your attitude towards a program you don't know.

If you had spent three minutes reading the quick start guide that pops on front of you the first time you open the program you *at least* would know what is the top menu, the file manager, etc.

But you didn't and came here for an answer.

And you needed a specific answer for your question.

But you are not able to understand the answer because you're clueless about the UI of the program you're asking help for.

When I pointed to the user guide, tailored at first time users, you felt entiled to request a *specific* answer for your question.

Of course you're not only felt entiled to that answer but you're also entiled to mix your question with suggestions without spending a single minute learning about the topic.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 11:28 AM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Sorry, Pazos; Most of the "Greenies" consider the entitled clueless a protected class.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, koreader, search