Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-05-2023, 08:59 AM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I got the same message at my local library, looks like a global change:

Attachment 200782
Haven't gotten this notice in my library yet.

EDIT: Looks like I missed it. When I search for a book that my library doesn't have, I get the notice. I think I'll stick with Overdrive till the bitter end. For now, at least, I'm still able to use Overdrive's website for borrowing books past the May 1st date.

I wonder if this is going to eventually mess up PockeBook's (and Tolino's) ability to directly borrow Overdrive books via their e-Ink browsers?

EDIT 2: Does the LibbyApp.com website only allow downloading to Kindle or Libby — no .acsm downloads?

Last edited by rcentros; 04-05-2023 at 09:24 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:48 AM   #17
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
EDIT 2: Does the LibbyApp.com website only allow downloading to Kindle or Libby — no .acsm downloads?[/QUOTE]

It does, but I had to search a bit for it. There's an "other options" link at the bottom of the page, de-emphasized compared to the Kindle vs Read Here options, and that allows you to then download the ACSM file.

EDIT: Interestingly it only seems to be available once, so if the first download fails you're out of luck. What a horrible UX -- it seems that they really don't want to support epub, which is weird -- isn't Libby created by Overdrive, which I thought was owned by Rakuten (Kobo).

Last edited by twowheels; 04-05-2023 at 09:51 AM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2023, 09:53 AM   #18
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edit to my last edit above -- worthy of a distinct response (I think )

To download ACSM files from libby, even after your first time:

Go to your loans at https://libbyapp.com/shelf/loans
Click "Manage Loan"
Click "Read With"
...scroll down to "Other Ways to Read"
Click on "Epub"
Old 04-05-2023, 10:00 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I filled out the survey on the Libby website re: automatic holds, but looking at the Overdrive FAQ it appears this was a feature not a bug so don't think it will be changing unless libraries request it do so.

Quote:
If my library acquires a title that a user tagged as Notify Me, is the user automatically placed on hold?
No. Users will receive a notification and can choose to place a hold or borrow the title (depending on its availability). This helps wait lists move more efficiently by not including holds for users who have acquired it elsewhere or are no longer interested in the title.
from: https://resources.overdrive.com/notify-me-faqs/ )I didn't see anything about why on the Libby FAQ, but it's possible I missed it there.)
There goes a very useful feature. I did make requests and I liked that I got it put on hold when they library got it. I'll have to make sure my Libby on my phone it updated and notifications are turned on.

This sucks majorly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:46 AM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There goes a very useful feature. I did make requests and I liked that I got it put on hold when they library got it. I'll have to make sure my Libby on my phone it updated and notifications are turned on.

This sucks majorly.
Yeah, I liked that my recommendations were placed on hold; it was a big reason I made recommendations of upcoming books that I expected the library to purchase.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2023, 10:58 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

This sucks majorly.
I wasn't paying attention and hope by "notification" they also mean email.

So far I'm not that impressed with Libby. I installed it on my phone, and it asked if I had it installed on any other devices and I was able to sync the appiwith the website. But the next time I opened the app, it asked the same question.

The website doesn't have flyovers on all the buttons, so I'm pressing buttons/going back to find things. It is going to take a while to remember what the buttons do.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:48 AM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
EDIT: Interestingly it only seems to be available once, so if the first download fails you're out of luck. What a horrible UX -- it seems that they really don't want to support epub, which is weird -- isn't Libby created by Overdrive, which I thought was owned by Rakuten (Kobo).
Rakuten still owns Kobo but sold OverDrive to a private equity firm KKR in a sale that was completed in June, 2020.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:02 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And KKR are making a right mess of Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:37 PM   #24
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Rakuten still owns Kobo but sold OverDrive to a private equity firm KKR in a sale that was completed in June, 2020.
Oh, darn… I guess I’ve not been paying attention. Seems that Kobo should have negotiated that support for their devices would remain a prominent feature as part of the sale.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:22 PM   #25
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Also Kobo only supports putting one Overdrive library at a time unless you use a workaround (which didn't work for me, though likely user error).
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:26 AM   #26
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My library is retiring the recommend feature on May 1st. They say you can use Libby to "express interest in titles we don't have". But there is no explanation of how that will work.

The recommend option would automatically place me on the wait list if the book was purchased. I rarely use the Libby app, unless it's the only way to get the book.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:28 PM   #27
stewrog
stewrog began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Paperwhite (old)
Hopeful that Kobo ereaders will continue to have easy public library borrowing

Perhaps they did?
According to the last paragraph on this support page:
https://help.libbyapp.com/en-us/6251.htm
"Note: Although the OverDrive app is being discontinued in 2023, Kobo devices with built-in OverDrive functionality won't be affected. You can continue borrowing and reading OverDrive ebooks on these devices as usual."
Wonder if doing so will require remaining logged into one's Kobo account on the device and upgrading the device's firmware or operating system?
(Also: helpful to review the rest of that support page.)

Quote:
Oh, darn… I guess I’ve not been paying attention. Seems that Kobo should have negotiated that support for their devices would remain a prominent feature as part of the sale.
stewrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:51 PM   #28
stewrog

Adding multiple libraries & cards to libbyapp.com (similar to Overdrive)

It is a pain to switch between library cards on the Kobo for checkout purposes, but I can always see everything I have checked out so long as I have checked in all my cards on that reader at some point (or perhaps this is because I logged in on the Kobo ereader first using my overdrive.com account where I had linked all my libraries/cards).

Also, with the impending demise of the Overdrive app, have you tried this page?
https://libbyapp.com/interview/menu
which will likely redirect you to:
https://libbyapp.com/interview/menu#mainMenu
Just like in the Libby iOS app, I added multiple libraries and multiple cards for one library system where my family members each have their own card (and let me see / read their checkouts, and vice versa, haha).
They appear to all show up together on the Shelf page on libbyapp.com, though who knows how this might work starting May 1 and whether/how the Kobo ereader user interface might change. (Wish I could have sped this up by first logging into my overdrive.com account - maybe I could have, but did not see that option.)
Would certainly be nice if they added a quick-change feature to switch between accounts rather than the cumbersome system they use now.
I will probably continue to do most of my checkouts in a web browser on my Mac or iPad and perhaps, starting May 1, in the iPad Libby app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Also Kobo only supports putting one Overdrive library at a time unless you use a workaround (which didn't work for me, though likely user error).
Old 04-06-2023, 05:01 PM   #29
stewrog

No "Listen With" option for audiobooks on libbyapp.com

Thank you for this update!
Definitely worth it.
Unfortunate to see no such option for audiobooks
(i.e., no "Listen With" Options after clicking "Manage Loan")
Oh well, maybe the genius CH Brown over at GitHub will find a way to do so via an alternative route.

Quote:
Edit to my last edit above -- worthy of a distinct response (I think )

To download ACSM files from libby, even after your first time:

Go to your loans at https://libbyapp.com/shelf/loans
Click "Manage Loan"
Click "Read With"
...scroll down to "Other Ways to Read"
Click on "Epub"
Old 04-10-2023, 11:01 AM   #30
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I'm confused. I know the Overdrive mobile app is going away. Is the Overdrive website that I currently access via browser on my computer or other devices also going away?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote