Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Apple loses a customer

I admit to liking Amazon. The customer experience is excellent. So perhaps I'm a bit spoiled. I thought Apple, being a large multinational, would offer something similar.

My daughter and son-in-law recently moved to Australia. He is by way of being an Apple fanboy and I decided some months ago that I would give him an iPad 2 for his birthday next month. I checked that Apple had an Australian website, so I thought I could go there and order it to be sent to him. I went through the whole online ordering process right up to the very end where I had to put in my billing address. I wanted to use a UK card, but the software allowed only US or Australian addresses.

So I fell at the last fence. Never mind, this morning I rang Apple UK to speak to sales support. I assumed they'd arrange it from my end but send the merchandise from their Oz store. No way. Apple Europe is quite separate and has effectively nothing to do with Apple Oz. So there was no way I could get any help from them.

Interestingly, I was thinking about buying myself an iPad some time in the middle of next year. So now they've lost two sales, because I'm sufficiently annoyed to feel I don't want to deal with such an unhelpful company.

I had Mac computers back in the 1980s and early 1990s, but have had nothing Apple since then. I have a certain amount of admiration for aspects of Apple, but not enough to take this kind of nonsense.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could always buy an iPad from a UK (or Swiss) Apple Store and post it to him.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Why do companies make it so hard to give them money?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could always buy an iPad from a UK (or Swiss) Apple Store and post it to him.
Isn't that going to cost a lot of money in shipping charges; and possible import fees?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I'd also be unlikely to get it to him in time.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Did you try calling Apple Oz (or at least one of the stores) to see if you could do it that way?
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Did you try calling Apple Oz (or at least one of the stores) to see if you could do it that way?
Do they have international toll free calling?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Why do companies make it so hard to give them money?
Its probably government regulations more than the companies. Who knows.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Its probably government regulations more than the companies. Who knows.
This is pretty much it. Each country has it's own taxes and regulations. An example of this was that for a few weeks when the iPad first came out, Israel was confiscating iPads when people were trying to carry them in country because they had not yet been approved by the Israeli government.

Amazon gets dinged by customers all the time for the same reason. Why can't I buy something on the US web site and pay with a non US credit card? The basic answer is government regulation and legal liability. The reason that Apple has country specific web sites is because sales within that country is governed by that countries laws. I'm sure if Apple had it's way, they would have one website for everyone. It would be a lot more efficient and 9 times out of 10, the order is being shipped from the factory in China. But then, someone might find that it's cheaper to buy in a low tax country and ship the iPad to a high tax country and the high tax country fines Apple big bucks because they aren't getting the taxes that they feel are due them.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Amazon gets dinged by customers all the time for the same reason. Why can't I buy something on the US web site and pay with a non US credit card? The basic answer is government regulation and legal liability.
Sorry, this I don't understand. Amazon.com is an US Web and I can buy electronic there with my Spanish card and my Spanish address. But it's easier for a company not being annoyed with this small details.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Just a thought, but could you buy an iPad from Amazon to be shipped to Oz?
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #12
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
I have had two K 1s, currently have two K 2s, plus an iPad2 and an iPod.

Quite frankly, I have become an Apple convert because they are much more

user-friendly.

Cheers
:
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Right... I also can't my US kindle to be repaired by Amazon germany.
I also can't let Amazon UK ship me books from orders made at Amazon Japan.

Why'd it be different for Apple?

And just a sidenote: when you have applecare, you get worldwide guarantee.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Right... I also can't my US kindle to be repaired by Amazon germany.
I also can't let Amazon UK ship me books from orders made at Amazon Japan.

Why'd it be different for Apple?

And just a sidenote: when you have applecare, you get worldwide guarantee.
This is true. A friend of mine's daughter was doing a semester of study in New Zealand and had her mac go out on her. This was a mac that she bought in Atlanta, GA and had applecare. Apple fixed her mac in New Zealand at no charge. She didn't have to send it off to the US or anything like that, she just took it to the Apple dealer in New Zealand and they fixed it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote