Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-29-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
putaimme
putaimme began at the beginning.

Device: none
Adding Tags

I've done numerous searches but haven't found how to add my own tags in calibre. How do I do this? I'm adding tags based on my school semester and deleting all other tags...
putaimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Adding tags is pretty easy. Click on the Edit Metadata icon and, depending on if you have one or multiple books selected, you'll find a field labelled Tags or Add Tags. Just enter in the tag you want to add to your book there.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Bulk mode metadata edit allows Adding and/or Deleting tags (and changing lots of other stuff)

rule 1: what you do there applies to all selected books
rule 2: 'removing' a tag that was not in use in a individual book doe nothing to that book (it does not block the removal for those that do have that tag)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@putaimme - the above

To change tags for a single book, you can hit F2 in a Tags cell, tags are comma separated, type-ahead will show a list - handy for quick corrections.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing that should probably be mentioned (it confused me when I first started using Calibre until I figured out what was going on):

A tag does not exist unless it's used for at least one book. Consequently, there is no interface for creating a list of tags to be applied to books later.

The obvious drawback is that if you're a perfectionist like me and you've come up with the perfect tagging system for your library before you even start importing books, you can't set up your tags ahead of time.

The benefit is that it keeps your list of tags clean. You don't have to worry about purging unused tags, because they purge themselves automatically.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post

The obvious drawback is that if you're a perfectionist like me and you've come up with the perfect tagging system for your library before you even start importing books, you can't set up your tags ahead of time.
Why not create a dummy book and assign all possible tags to it?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I did that for my editing library because I got tired of forgetting what variations I preferred to use for certain tags. It works great.
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I should have thought of that. I even have a dummy book already that I used to help me configure the Open With plugin by filling it with multiple formats (actually I just used an empty file with the extension changed multiple times, since neither Calibre or the Open With plugin check whether the file's valid until you try to open it).

Of course, now it's been years since I started using Calibre and I just populated my tag list as I imported my books, but it's a good idea to keep in mind if I ever need to create new libraries.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote