Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Camp NaNoWriMo spring 015

Is anyone else here at MR going to try to work on a novel this coming month? Camp starts on April 1st.
Camp NaNoWriMo
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I wasn't specifically going to hang this off NaNoWriMo, but things are working out that I should have a good block of free time for most of April, and I was going to get moving on the novel I outlined last year... so I might join the fun.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm working up the order of events based on a novel idea I had the other week. Using a foam board and post it notes to organize it is one thing that I'm doing.

Edit: One thing I'm doing is sorting out my scenes via a board I made up. I got a piece of foam board (20" X 30") at Wal-Mart and a package of post-it notes and I put a brief account of what the scene will be about on each post-it. That way I can re-use the board again in the future. I can fit up to 48 scenes on the board with it split into 4 parts:
Act 1
Act 2 pt. 1
Act 2 pt. 2
Act 3
I have a bunch of scene notes on my KF and just have to transcribe what I have and find events that fit between and I'll have my basic plot all mapped out. I'm also using a trick I learned from a writing book this next month. You write down your daily goal on a calendar i.e. 2k on day 1, 4k on day 2, 6k on day 3 and after you finish that days work you cross out the date. That way you have a visual reference of how well you are doing (or not doing).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scene Board.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	631.7 KB
ID:	136467  

Last edited by crich70; 03-27-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I use Scrivener for the same thing.

They have something called Corkboard, which works wonderfully.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I also have scrivener and plan to transfer my notes there. I'm just using the foam board to help with the initial order of things.
Advert
Old 04-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Wow, planning, I've heard about that, now I know what it looks like too!

Mostly, my cork-board is in my head. Sometimes those pins really hurt.

No, I won't be joining the fun. I find NaNoWriMo is a bit like a cork-board, it doesn't fit with how I want to write.

That's only partly tongue-in-cheek. I write out some experimental scenes and dialogues as they occur to me, mostly as a way of sticking the pin in my memory about a particular idea (I rarely use those experimental texts directly). And I keep a timeline so I always know where everyone is and what they're up to in relation to one another, but mostly that's something I keep up to date as I go rather than use for advance planning. I've never managed to make the whole advanced planning whiteboard/cork-board thing work for me, either I know where I'm going in my head ... or not. If I don't, the only way I've found to move forward is to start writing and see where it takes me. It is interesting to see how others approach the problem.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I'm still working out some of my plot myself but since if I can get 2k a day it will only take me 25 days to write 50k I should be ok even if I fall a bit behind at first. And post its are thumbtack free.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
AixenPixel
AixenPixel began at the beginning.

Device: Android Kyocera
I am thinking of nanowrimo for 2015 seriously! Especially after coming up with solutions to slaughter my writers block!!!
AixenPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I also made this for helping me to keep track of word counts in future.
Reusable calendar