Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
SerenaDoll
SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Editing Internet Users Submissions

I am writing a book that will include submissions from randomn internet users.

As far as spelling and grammar are concerned... I don't want to offend people by asking them to check and recheck their spelling, etc. But... is there a way to do this in the least offensive way possible?

If I don't ask... can I be sued for fixing the spelling, etc? As in they say: "That wasn't what I wrote!". (I think I would just leave the grammar alone. But... I don't know at this point in time.) I want this book to read well... but if I'm going to be sued for making corrections... what's the point?

P.S I am not a master of grammar. But I do intend to receive help.

SerenaDoll

Last edited by SerenaDoll; 07-27-2018 at 11:03 AM.
SerenaDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Well you have a misspelling in your post I think. Random not Randomn. I don't think you need worry about anyone complaining about you fixing spelling mistakes in general. If you change punctuation so that the meaning of the sentences changes that is a different story.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
As long as your request for contributions includes a disclaimer (maybe: "Contributions may be edited for length, grammar and to remove inappropriate content") then you have yourself covered without having to accuse individuals of sloppy self-editing, bad language or excess verbiage.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
SerenaDoll
SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SerenaDoll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Well you have a misspelling in your post I think. Random not Randomn. :
Thank you for pointing that out to me. Random is just one of those words I continue to spell wrong. *sigh* I hope this time it sticks.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
SerenaDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
As long as your request for contributions includes a disclaimer (maybe: "Contributions may be edited for length, grammar and to remove inappropriate content") then you have yourself covered without having to accuse individuals of sloppy self-editing, bad language or excess verbiage.
Thank you!! I KNEW there was a specific way to write it better than what I had wrote.