Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Cool Reader Forgetting Current Book

Decided to get back into Cool Reader after a rough spot using it with Calibre Companion.

Now, if I tell Calibre Companion to start reading a book using Cool Reader, it opens fine, but if I reboot the device (Fire Tablet) and restart Cool Reader, it not only doesn't open the book, it doesn't even appear on the Recent Book list.

Other ebook apps (FBReader, Pocketbook Reader) handle a reboot fine, and when opened, return to the page that was last read. This happens on both mine and my wife's Fire tablet.

Would've posted this in the Calibre Companion forum, but since the issue is limited to Cool Reader, I'm trying here.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest you give KOReader a go instead of Cool Reader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you give KOReader a go instead of Cool Reader.
Any compelling reason why? From the KOReader page: "KOReader is a document viewer for E Ink devices." Also unavailable on Google Play, apparently :-/

As well, I like to use a reader I can recommend to my non tech-savvy friends. Side-loading would be a non-starter for them, and frankly, me too, given the myriad other options for Android.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
Any compelling reason why? From the KOReader page: "KOReader is a document viewer for E Ink devices." Also unavailable on Google Play, apparently :-/

As well, I like to use a reader I can recommend to my non tech-savvy friends. Side-loading would be a non-starter for them, and frankly, me too, given the myriad other options for Android.
Because KOReader is better then Cool Reader. Ask in the KOReader forum and you'll be able to find out a lot more.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Because KOReader is better then Cool Reader. Ask in the KOReader forum and you'll be able to find out a lot more.
I already gave you three reasons I'm not interested.

If you have a solution to the issue I posted, aside from switching software, I'd be glad to entertain it. Pretty sure you don't though.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I already gave you three reasons I'm not interested.

If you have a solution to the issue I posted, aside from switching software, I'd be glad to entertain it. Pretty sure you don't though.
Do you know that KOReader is based on Cool Reader but has been worked on a lot more to improve it?
Old 11-21-2020, 02:47 AM   #7
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
VelvetElvis, if you having the myriad other options for Android still would like to solve this problem I would suggest you to create the issue on github.

PS: I forgot to give the link, it is https://github.com/buggins/coolreader/issues

Last edited by pkbo; 11-22-2020 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added link to github
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:49 AM   #8
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Do you know that KOReader is based on Cool Reader but has been worked on a lot more to improve it?
Well, yes poire-z worked a lot on crengine but at the moment it is almost identical in CoolReader.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
VelvetElvis, if you having the myriad other options for Android still would like to solve this problem I would suggest you to create the issue on github.
Going to do that this morning. Thanks.

Figured since it happens to two devices in the family, it might've been something others have run into, and easily solvable. Without switching readers.

BTW, any reason why KOreader isn't on the Play Store?
Old 11-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #10
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:

BTW, any reason why KOreader isn't on the Play Store?
Yup. There are two reasons.

One technical reason: Google Play requires 64bit ABIs for arm and x86, while KOReader is only built for 32bit ABIs.

The other reason is philosophical/ethical: F-Droid is a *much better* store for a niche program like KOReader and we're already there.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote