Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Shalby
Shalby began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question How to rename cover file in Calibre?

Hello everyone! I'm using Calibre to import my books and then convert them to epub format.

I was wondering how to set the naming for the cover.jpg? I would like to name the .jpg file "title" to the same as the output .epub name. So, instead of cover.jpg it would be title of book.jpg. These are for files stored on my harddrive.

If someone could please advised it would be greatly appreciated.
Shalby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalby View Post
Hello everyone! I'm using Calibre to import my books and then convert them to epub format.

I was wondering how to set the naming for the cover.jpg? I would like to name the .jpg file "title" to the same as the output .epub name. So, instead of cover.jpg it would be title of book.jpg. These are for files stored on my harddrive.

If someone could please advised it would be greatly appreciated.
You can not change any of the names in the Library folder.
You will damage your Library.
That cover is used many places, What you see in Calibre, for conversions and the Catalog (should you make one).

You don't normally need to ever go into the library folder. Calibre will export books, making updates as it is sent.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You don't normally need to ever go into the library folder. Calibre will export books, making updates as it is sent.
I disagree. I collect a lot of sci-fi stories which were originally published in magazines. I also like to use the original magazine covers.

Now suppose I want to re-use that cover collection for different purposes...

Since calibre (as far as I know) is not capable of generating a gallery type collection of html files strictly for cover images, I would need to create this myself.

It would then be useful if I could just go into my library top folder. Do a search for .jpg and copy all the found files to a different location so that it would be much easier to generate such a gallery using other tools.

Alas, because all files have the same name, this won't ever fly...

Now, not saying I am wanting to do this, just pointing out that such a collection of covers could be used for more than one purpose...

Or suppose a friend comes over and sees my collection and wants to have copies of some covers (e.g. hard to find ones). No easy way to gather and zip them up without creating a (for my friend) totally useless folder structure in the zip archive. Not to mention the fact that after unpacking my friend would need to spend a lost weekend (or two) to rename all the files to more sensible names so they can be safely moved to a central repository...

Just some examples of the top of my head to indicate that it could be useful to have the option...Granted, Windows itself and most multimedia library programs use the same method of naming folder/cover images always the same. But still... maybe an idea for a plugin writer?

Last edited by At_Libitum; 08-27-2013 at 01:02 PM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
lbik
Reader
lbik doesn't litterlbik doesn't litter

Device: Kindle KB and Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Use the "SAVE to Disk" options. You will get all your covers with the real filenames that YOU defined, but DON'T touch the library!
lbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbik View Post
Use the "SAVE to Disk" options. You will get all your covers with the real filenames that YOU defined, but DON'T touch the library!
Thanks for that one, never used the option so didn't know that. Bit overkill if you only want to extract the covers but better than the alternatives
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:35 AM   #6
farelllamo
farelllamo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
http://pasted.co/5947f9cb

A simply python code I have written to rename the cover files with the book name.
farelllamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #7
SollyR
SollyR began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre 3.44 (64-bit)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbik View Post
Could you give me more detailed instructions? I looked the SaveToDisk options in Preferences but did not know how to do what you suggested.
SollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SollyR View Post
Could you give me more detailed instructions? I looked the SaveToDisk options in Preferences but did not know how to do what you suggested.
Check the Save cover separately option (top left)

You must save at least one format, i.e you can't just save the cover.

There are several pre-defined templates in the Save Template drop down. Use one or select the nearest and change it in the Template Editor - there's a button for that.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover and books, cover for ebook, rename